1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uganda's anti-gay bill

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Pseudojim, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Religious forces behind Uganda's anti-gay bill

A proposed bill in Uganda seeks to completely outlaw homosexuality and its promotion, and it even includes the death penalty for "aggravated homosexuality." This would be defined as gay sex with anyone under 18 or with a physical disability — regardless of consent — or if the accused is HIV-positive, regardless of consent or condom use.

According to the website Care2.com, "The bill seeks to criminalize the 'promotion' and 'dissemination' of materials that are affirming of homosexuality, meaning that a charity that helps any known homosexual, for whatever reason, could fall foul of this egregious and ill-defined law.

"Frighteningly, the bill also mandates that, should an individual reveal their sexuality to a relative or friend, they must be reported to the authorities within 24 hours. If the relative/friend does not report that individual, both parties could be fined or face prison sentences. This extends to those who know of relatives who have left Uganda to enter same-sex partnerships in another country.'"

The bill is reprinted here: http://www.boxturtlebulletin.com/2009/09/15/14708

Much of the impetus for this homophobic attack comes from Christian religious groups in Uganda, supposedly with the support and aid of fundamentalist groups from the States.

According to a press release from the queer advocacy group Truth Wins Out, "Sadly, this witch-hunt has the bloodstained fingerprints of leading American evangelicals. The Fellowship (aka The Family), one of America's most powerful and secretive fundamentalist organizations, converted Uganda's President Yoweri Museveni to its anti-gay brand of Christianity, which is the 'intellectual' impetus behind the anti-gay crackdown. The clandestine organization's leader, Doug Coe, calls Museveni The Fellowship's 'key man' in Africa. Jeff Sharlet, author of The Family, writes of the African strongman's conversion:

"'So,' Doug Coe told us, 'my friend said to the president, 'Why don't you come and pray with me in America? I have a good group of friends — senators, congressmen — who I like to pray with, and they'd like to pray with you.' And that president came to the Cedars (a religious retreat), and he met Jesus. And his name is Yoweri Museveni... And he is a good friend of the Family.'"

And according to BoxTurtleBulletin.com — another queer advocacy site — much of the planning for the new bill occurred at a March conference in Uganda which featured several of the wackier members of America's evangelical movement:

"American Holocaust revisionist Scott Lively provided the much-anticipated red meat on day three of the anti-gay conference taking place in Kampala.

"On Saturday, Lively repeated his discredited historical revisionist theory in which he claims that the cornerstone of Germany's Nazi Party lies firmly in the gay movement, and that the gay movement today, if left unchecked, will result in a similarly murderous fascism wherever it goes. In Kampala, he went further by expanding his examples of what he calls homosexuals' murderous impulse by blaming the 1994 Rwanda genocide on gay men.

"Lively is one of three Americans speaking at that conference, along with Exodus International board member Don Schmierer, and a relative unknown, Caleb Lee Brundidge, of Richard Cohen's International Healing Foundation. Brundidge is also a member of Phoenix-based Extreme Prophetic ministries, where he goes around to area mortuaries trying to raise the dead....

"To understand Lively's demented assertions, it's important to read his book, The Pink Swastika: Homosexuality in the Nazi Party. In it, he contends that 'the Nazi Party was entirely controlled by militaristic male homosexuals throughout its short history.'"

And before we Canadians start congratulating ourselves on being better, remember that Exodus International — one of those Christian gay therapy organizations — has a Canadian branch.

http://www.xtra.ca/public/National/Religious_forces_behind_Ugandas_antigay_bill-7818.aspx

2. 19rockr

19rockr Guest

Near Lexington, KY, by 45 miles to the east.
    Oh, heck no! I...am...so...mad...at..this. Some people are just so unwilling to understanding what it's like to be us. They don't undertand that we're human, just like everyone else. And yo convert someone else to a group of people who openly oppose homosexuality, and blames genocides on us, just shows how ignorant these people are.Ugh....

3. TriBi

If this is actually true, it a real shame. As someone who has travelled in Africa (including Uganda) I can testify to the fact that Museveni has, in a lot of respects, been one of the better leaders in terms of improving the life of his people.

If it is factual, it is a shameful testament that ignorance can outweigh the truth. Sad.

4. Astaroth

You know... this whole "homosexuals are the cause of such and such violent crime" makes me wonder if we have a firm set of statistics about crimes committed per capita in the straight community and in the LGBT community. I'll wager that our community is vastly lower. Of course, with our high suicide rate, a lot of violent or unstable LGBT people may end up taking their own lives first.

5. Emberstone

So, Scott Lively has paused from having anti-holocaust-truth sex orgies with mel gibson and ann coulter to go to uganda where most people probably have very little knowledge that there even was a holocaust to spread his vile filth.

Who wants to bet his family fled germay at the end of the war by traveling to america by route of argentina?

"no... no! It wasnt the germans... it was the gay men even if the nazi's were killing gay people along side the blacks and the jews!!!! I WILL NOT HAVE THESE INSINUATIONS AGAINST THE GERMAN PEOPLE!!!!"

I have no jewish heritage, but I the one thing hate the most in the world are holocaust deniers, and people who create filthy lies to promote their nazi style beliefs.

Wasnt the 1994 rowanda riots in part fundementalist christians going after and killing other chirstians who didnt share the same exacting beliefs and practices? or am I thinking of another genocide conflict in africa?

6. Fiorino

"American Holocaust revisionist Scott Lively provided the much-anticipated red meat on day three of the anti-gay conference taking place in Kampala.

"On Saturday, Lively repeated his discredited historical revisionist theory in which he claims that the cornerstone of Germany's Nazi Party lies firmly in the gay movement, and that the gay movement today, if left unchecked, will result in a similarly murderous fascism wherever it goes."

WOW. Talk about ignorance! Nazi's were against homosexuality as well and they killed tens of thousands of them during the holocaust!! This is fucking scary that people can think like that. We live in a democracy where everyone has the right to live as they wish, to be themselves and think whatever they like (as long as they don't insinuate violence) without fear of being murdered or prosecuted for it- these people should be ashamed of themselves!

"In Kampala, he went further by expanding his examples of what he calls homosexuals' murderous impulse by blaming the 1994 Rwanda genocide on gay men."

Blame it on the gays... It would have nothing to do with Radio programs that constantly repeated how the other ethnic group were their enemies and how they should erradicate the "vermin". Certain conservative talk show hosts (Glenn Beck, Michael Savage etc...) almost appoach that level in my mind with their hatred of "Liberals" (Which is a vague term tbh).

Yesterday, I found this website and their merchandise is pretty disturbing:

http://www.cafepress.com/rightwingstuff

The people who buy this stuff are really insecure and uneducated!

...Anyway, back to Uganda's draconian bill, can't say I would expect that much more out of Africa (besides South Africa) their governments tend to be repressive and corrupt.

7. Just Adam

oh well another place of the holiday list.... might aswell stay at home at this rate.

8. Emberstone

Who wants to bet that Scott Lively is a closeted gay. Isnt it always the case it seems that the most vocal homophobes are gayer than liberache? Foley, craig, haggart... etc.

9. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    O.O Really? Then why were all homosexuals killed and labeled with a Pink Triangle?

10. starfish

< sarcasm>Oh but you forget that the holocaust really did not happen.</sarcasm>

11. Tiffany

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I forgot about this... heartbreaking. Absolutely heartbreaking. I vote we begin rescue missions to gays and gay friendlies in Uganda...

12. RaeofLite

...So... *consults list of where not nto travel in the world as an openly gay person*

-Jamaica
    -Uganda
    -other parts of Africa?( ...)
    -Iraq-Af(Oh the whole damn middle east..)
    -parts of Southern USA
    -Peru?
    -parts of Eastern Europe(Serbia etc)

13. Charme

Charme Guest

And to think my school is a very active member of a charity (Invisible Children and Schools for Schools) that is helping stop the longest running war in Africa which so happens to involve Uganda and to return the child soldiers to their families.

I never really cared about it anyway lol.

14. Just Adam

we are making great progress arent we lol...

were going to end up totally dividing the world in 2 soon in teh left corn teh rainow spendex fighter...in teh right corner teh biggot int eh blood soaked rags.

15. Greggers

The part that makes me want to cry is:

I know its not even close to the worst part of that whole post, but it just brings back memories of reading George Orwell's (sp?) novel "1984". It feels very much like a thought crime law. (Unlike the Matthew Sheppard hate crimes bill, this one is not a far stretch.) It also reminds me of Argentina in the 80's when it was under military control and anyone who was simply friends with someone who spoke against the government was kidnapped in broad daylight and dropped into the ocean, drugged but alive.

If you ask me, the UN cant pass that de-criminalization of homosexuality thing soon enough. (The same one that the US didnt sign onto last time, if im thinking of the riight thing...)

16. Just Adam

its scary needing to tell on family and friends and those that have left! i mean why do they need to know those that left so they cant come back? would they want too? surely family would be better going to them...

i mean it sounds sinister no matter where they are tell us abotu them we will take care of it.

17. RaeofLite

I think you're right. I know it's already happening regarding religion... Great, just what we need. More violence. *shakes head*
    Make love, not war! :kiss:

18. Ty

Ty

Ah dear, I may be going on a charity relief trip to Uganda next year :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

19. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

That is sad. What is also sad is that Africa wants the world to view it as a place of progress and starts doing things like this.

20. TriBi

In which case - I would suggest it might be sensible to NOT try 'picking up' some of the local guys.:wink:

The good news is that since I was there (now more than a decade ago - where the hell did time go?!) the AIDS infection rate among the population has dropped from almost 20% to between 5 & 6% - and that is one of the positive things that the Museveni administration has achieved. They have had a huge focus on informing and educating - and, at least in this regard, Uganda is one of the 'success stories' in Africa.