1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

10% of Twilight Profits Going To The Mormon Church?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by littledinosaurs, Nov 26, 2009.

1. littledinosaurs

I've heard that 10% of the profits from the moving are going to the Mormon church, who supported Prop 8.

I honestly don't know how true this is, but i wanted to see if anyone had any information about it, or had heard of it.

I really hope that it's not true, and i hope that if it is true that it'll get out and maybe something would be done it about.

2. musican

I wonder how they feel about gay guys going to see the movie for Taylor or Robert...

3. Just Adam

oh ffs why do people need to push their views...i hope teh cast namely bella and edward if this is true say itf it happens they wont be in any future movies....

they cant be recast the parts are to big and teh twihards would cause uproar...

but really why ? cant people jsut make a movie anymore...

i so hope this aint true :frowning2: im fed up of these poxy second rate beliefes taht do nothign but spread hate ruining things...

4. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

I believe that Mormon's are supposed to tithe 10% (someone please correct me if I am misinformed). Considering Stephanie Meyer is Mormon, I suppose she could be tithing 10%. That's really her business though, so I doubt we can know for sure.

5. NickT

Dunno if it's true, don't really care (I don't like Twilight. Sue me.). But I don't think you should assume it's because of their support of Prop 8 that the Mormons are getting the money, unless of course they come right out and say it. It could be for a different reason entirely.

6. Just Adam

i couldent stop staring at jacob through the movie i was like wow hes actually pretty hot now... haha its was funny... a mormon film and it has total sex appeal to gay guys...she must be spitting acid now thinkign back " dammit why did i make every scene with teh wolf pack topless" .... hahaha...

7. littledinosaurs

hahaha, i don't like Twilight either.
    I don't think she is giving them money for that reason. (if she even is)

8. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Rumours are rumours and always will be rumours ^__^ .

9. Shevanel

Ken Jennings did the same thing, right?

10. Emberstone

I am a little hesitant to say 10% is going to the church from the movie profits. For a woman who has spent the better part of the last three years promoting herself as the new jk rowling, I have never seen any evidence of charity on her part.

The moment the money began rolling in for jk rowling, she was donating big to important charities that focus on fighting against social depreivation, and children and womans charities such as one parent families and the like. We only really hear about it when she wants to bring awareness to a cause, but she has been known to drop millions of dollars for good causes.

Meyer, on the other hand, almost always charges book signing fees, often requring you to buy the book at the event. So, she get the 5-10 bucks to sign the book *no personal messages, last i heard*, plus 25-30 bucks for the book itself. We never hear of her useing her wealth for anything but herself. No charity work. Nothing.

Even if she was giving 10% of her profits on the films, I doubt there would be a way to confirm it.

The Mormon Church is not likely to talk. Like Scientology, it runs itself first as a buisness, and secondly as a church. I have a friend who used to be mormon, and is a accoutant who worked at the main church in utah. He left when he saw what and how the money was being used for. he found records of arming congregants of african churches with guns in rawanda in the early 90's.

11. haelmarie

It wasn't like I had a burning desire to see New Moon anyways, so meh.

EDIT: Whilst googling this subject, I stumbled upon this delicious quote from one of her books and thought I'd share.

Barf.

Some one give this woman the fucking Pulitzer Prize already.

#11 haelmarie, Nov 27, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  12. Emberstone

isnt pulitzer reserved for news, commentary, and satire?

It is hard to even qualify her writing as books.

13. RaeofLite

Ok... correct me if I'm wrong... but aren't vampires "magical" in some form? As with werewolves? I mean, Harry Potter was "magical" and it ended up having vampires mentioned, an actual werewolf etc.

So... why aren't the churches burning "vampire" books?

14. Charme

Charme Guest

Because these 'vampires' sparkle.

15. Ty

Ty

Twilight and the whole franchise are Mormon propaganda promoting abstinence and such. I hate it.

16. Sesshomaru

I'm not a fan in any way whatsoever of Twilight (and I hate the uproars it causes plus The Vampire Diaries and Paul Wesley > Twilight and Whatever Edward's real name is), but if 10% of the profits are going to the Mormon church because of their decision on Prop 8, even though I doubt that would be the cause, wouldn't that be a little hypocritical with the rumors going around about Taylor? I'm not sure if anyone has bothered to read anything about it, I only stumbled across it because a friend texted me last night asking if I could send her a picture of him and I forgot to click images on google before hitting search, but there's suspicion about if he's gay. I only bothered to read the first page so perhaps it's already been proven if he's straight or not since even gay guys pretend to date girls at times.

#16 Sesshomaru, Nov 28, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  17. ArcaneVerse

It makes perfect sense to me as Stephenie Meyer is a mormon writer. and yes mormons do pay tithing, 10% of what you earn its not mandatory but if you can afford it you are meant to you just get more "blessings" if you do. Its like the collection plate I guess you could say.

The church doesn't mind if the books are a little bit "supernatural" I believe as long as they arnt bashing the church or revealing secrets or goes against the teachings of the church (like a gay romance novel) or maybe its more that the church doesnt have an official stance about these things. but you will find mix opinions on the books and books like it from members. An interesting bit of information is that the books where taken off the church's book stores shelves because not everyone approved. but you can special order them.

I personally think its completely against the teachings of the church but thats just me. The whole living forever thing is just one point. but most people will spout its just a book and a bit of fun and doesnt have anything to do with the church. as usual most people will find a way to approve or disapprove of what they want.

and just because she is mormon doesn't mean she is against gays, there was a big group of mormons fighting against prop 8 as well.

#17 ArcaneVerse, Nov 28, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  18. Shevanel

Thank You Simon ^

19. Emberstone

I dont hate mormons... or catholics... ut I hate how these two institutions force themselves into politics and are holding america hostege at metaphorical gun point with their often racist, sexist, homophobic, facist views.

20. ArcaneVerse

:icon_bigg:icon_bigg:icon_bigg

------------------------------------------------

Seriously though does it even matter? I mean if you loved the books and got your moneys worth out of it or even if you didn't, are you really going to make a huge fuss over the 3cents you possibly have inadvertently and indirectly given to the mormon church? have you even consider that the 10% may actually, & there is a high possibility, go towards one of the many charitable things the church does, instead of automatically assuming your money is going towards denying you marital rights?

You cant always know where your money is going to go or control where its going, people hand over their money everyday to random businesses which maybe spending that money on things you don't approve of and even if you try to do a thorough search into a stores finances and find out where you money is going, you cant know everything and you cant find out what/where the workers are spending their pay checks on/at. It just doesn't work like that. Hell all I really need to say is Taxes.