1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Marriage News: Ny And Dc

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BitterEdge, Dec 1, 2009.

1. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

The District of Columbia is expected to pass a bill today making marriage equality a reality in the nation's capital.

In other news there are rumors the Senate in the state of New York might also be voting on a bill for marriage equality today. The outcome remains unknown if put to the floor for a vote.

*Will keep posting news as it becomes available.

2. Greggers

Thanks BitterEdge! I had no clue about either happening (possibly?) today.

3. RaeofLite

:slight_smile: *stands at the finish line for marriage equality with the rest of Canadians waiting for America to wake up and smell the coffee*

4. Shevanel

^ The finish line is far off from here, buddy :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

The District of Columbia council voted 11-2 in favor of marriage equality today. There will be one more vote on a later date before it heads to the desk of the mayor. Then Congress will have 30 days to intervene. It should still remain solid however in favor of marriage equality in the district. Congrats!

6. Just Adam

7. Emberstone

I believe in the positive domino effect. The more places in the U.S. that have equal rights for gay *and hopefully, for everyone of course*, the more open minded people on the fence will see that it is not destorying society in any way. The more those people see that, the more people will support equality... then, the more places it will be accepted and equality laws passed.

8. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

I agree with Emberstone, you look at where my state was (Connecticut) following Massachusetts pioneering marriage equality, it changed a lot of opinions here. DC will help where it is geographically for people in Maryland and Delaware.

9. Nodnarb

Great news! Any word on how things are likely to end up in NY? I thought they said they wouldn't vote on it unless they were confident it would pass. If that's true, it sounds like a very good sign.

10. Shevanel

Just know its supposed to happen sometime before the end of this month ^ It's pretty much a wild card IMO

11. NickT

Hah, we may have lost Maine, but we got the CAPITOL baby ^_^

12. AlmightyFluffy

They made such a huge celebration when California became legalized at first. But now when there's a whole bunch of states allowing it the news just stopped talking about it.
    I nearly had a heart attack from shock a few weeks ago when I saw gay marriage was now legal in five states!

13. EM68

14. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

It is highly rumored the Senate in NY will vote tonight, Ruben Diaz (gay marriage opponent) was quoted as saying he retreated to his office to pray because the vote is nearly imminent. Time will tell if they have enough votes for passage.

15. Emberstone

praying is not going to help. God gave us free will (no offence to the atheists of course), and if there is a God (no offence to the religious), he certainly it seems hasent been too bothered by our politics.

Going to his office to pray. If he actually as educated on the bible's contents and christ's teaching, he wouldnt be anti-gay.

16. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

The vote will not take place tonight, the bill apparently isn't ready along with the DRP...tomorrow maybe?

17. CrystalCat

i was hoping it would be voted on tonight =/ DC has gay marriage so hooray for them. Come on NY you can do it!!!!

18. Emberstone

I think that the D.C. part will be a easy sell on congress. conservatives will fight it, and spew their normal anti-gay BS (it is a choice... it is destorying america... Gays promote pedophillia... They are recruiting your children... etc), but I think we have enough of a majority of equal rights democrats and republicans to see it be a easy vote. I do not believe they have to vote to debate first, like they have to do with congress made bills, since this was allready approved by a governing body. suspect they just go right into debate. They have 30 days now, so if not before, it will pass by default at the end of the month.

19. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

Partially true, it does have 30 days but that's after the mayor signs the bill. It requires one more vote on December 15 before the mayor even sees it. Then it will be up to Congress. The Democratic majority should ensure there is no interference.

Also in other news, in the state of New York, the Assembly passed marriage equality to show their support before a possible Senate vote.

20. HackmanWIU

Maybe Chicago won't be that much more far off then :icon_bigg