1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gays And Transsexuals Can’t Enter Heaven: Cardinal

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Pseudojim, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2009/12/02/world/international-us-vatican-gays.html?_r=1

By REUTERS
    Published: December 2, 2009

ROME (Reuters) - A Roman Catholic Cardinal told homosexuals and transsexuals on Wednesday they would never get into heaven, prompting a rebuke from the Vatican itself.

“Transsexuals and homosexuals will not enter the Kingdom of Heaven, it’s not me who says it but St. Paul,” said Mexican Cardinal Javier Barragan, a former Vatican official who recently retired, referring to one of St. Paul’s epistles.

Asked if people were born homosexual Barragan, whose comments were posted on a conservative Catholic website called www.pontifex.roma, was quoted as saying:

“One is not born homosexual but they become that way. This is for various reasons: education, for not having developed their identity during their adolescence, maybe they are not guilty but by going against the dignity of the body they certainly will not enter the Kingdom of Heaven.”

“Everything that goes against nature and against the dignity of the body offends God,” he added.

Aurelio Mancuso, president of Italy’s main gay rights group, Arcigay, said Barragan’s remarks were part of the Church’s “ridiculous theories about sexuality and the dignity of the person.”

The Vatican distanced itself from the comments in a statement that was highly unusual because it indirectly criticized a top Church official.

Vatican spokesman Father Federico Lombardi said the website should not be considered an authority on Catholic thinking “on complex and delicate issues such as homosexuality.”

Lombardi quoted from the official Catechism of the Roman Catholic Church, which says homosexual acts are a “disorder” but acknowledges that many people have “innate homosexual tendencies” and should be treated with respect and not be subject to discrimination.

The Catholic Church teaches that homosexual acts are sinful but homosexuality in itself is not.

2. Just Adam

theres no dignity in my body :frowning2:

if there was heaven i wouldent get in there anyway despite sexuality.

3. MissNomer

MissNomer Guest

Dear Cardinal Prissypants

Um excuse me. We get to have teh gay secks. We're already in heaven :astonished:

Sincerely,
    MissNomer

PS: love the faggy robes

>_>
    <_<

4. Gaetan

I don't want to spend an eternity in a heaven with those bigots, anyway.

5. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

This is why I don't donate to Catholic charities or anything....they are putting themselves in a bad corner and in the end will lose.

6. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    “The Catholic Church teaches that homosexual acts are sinful but homosexuality in itself is not.”

I love this. So I can be gay, and they’re fine with that, but I can’t have gay sex or I'll burn in hell? :lol:

I encourage all the deceased gay and transsexual people to smile, lean over their clouds, and wave to this guy from heaven. :smilewave

7. :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

I don't really care that this guy thinks I'm not getting into Heaven -- I don't believe in that stuff anyway, so it doesn't bother me -- but I don't appreciate him using his power and authority to influence so many other religious people to be intolerant.

8. RaeofLite

Aaaahmen. Er... aaawomen. :icon_wink

So... does that mean we don't go to heaven but yet murderers and hardcore criminals do? You make no sense silly man in a funny hat... :icon_bigg

9. Emberstone

Yay... theres the snarky-kaylaness we know and love.

I think on matters of homosexuality, catholic cardinals should hold their tongue. As the leading source of homosexual pedophillia, that smacks of hypocracy.

Don't they realize that they are just making catholics look bad? and the catholics werent doing anything wrong. it was the priest and bishops.

Agnosticisem is looking better day after day.

10. Chad

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Catholics... can't stand'em, can't kill'em.

11. kettleoffish

since when is who gets into heaven decided by mere mortals, I thought it was supposed to be a divine thang, you know? Based on a person's love and how good a person they are and whatnot.. not where they stick their yoo-hoo when they're showing.. oh wait.. their love for a fellow human being. Great logic there catholics :eusa_clap

12. Emberstone

I kinda agree with Ghandi.

love christ, dislike christians.

13. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

If I was to say what I want to say about the Catholic church I would be banned so I wont. I really wish they would stay out of other peoples lives. When I die I die. I don't go anywhere else. (Its what I believe.) In this life I want to try and make it as if this is the only one I get. Where I shove my wazoo is my business and no one else's. </rant>

14. ArcusPravus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

It's not really surprising. If you're striaght its a sin to have sex unless you're making a baby. Condoms, birth control, and anything else to stop the baby making part is a sin. Also sex to make babies outside of marriage is also a sin. If you aren't married and aren't trying to make a kid, sex is a sin. So gay sex is easily in that category of sinful sex even without going down the sodomy/St. Paul bible quotes. So yes, if you have sex more than a few times in your life to make babies, you go to hell.

But there's this really cool thing in Catholicism (and on a seperate note, i feel really silly having to actually spell check that after 12 years of Catholic education <sigh>), it's called Reconciliation. Doesn't matter what you do. Just go to a priest, confess your sins, get a litany of acts to repent, and be absolved of all your sins. Then you get to go to heaven again. Simple. But wait there's more! Even if you die with a mortal sin (sin that sends you straight to hell), God still has teh final say and "There are no limits to the mercy of God." It's actually quite hard to get sent to hell. As long as you are sorry for your sins, you're fine.

(I realize that opens a whole new conversation as to wether it is a sin and what being sorry for it if it is actually means, but i don't feel like going there today)

15. Emberstone

even though the bible says nothing about birth control, or that sex is only for procreation.

16. KnightAssassin

man has rewritten the bible many many times so who cares about what they say ?? i say aslong as your happy who gives a flying F (_) C K

17. haelmarie

What? I can't get into your invisible fairy kingdom in the sky?

18. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Re: Gays And Transsexuals Can’t Enter Heaven: Cardinal

This has nothing to do with the Catholic Church, but rather a retired Cardinal who happens to be a bigot.

19. Emberstone

I blame Bill Donahue... the limelight obsessed president of the catholic league. He hates everything... including christians who dont believe in the sanctity of priest/youngboy rape.

20. Greggers

Um, you are my hero.

- - -

And more on topic, he is a human. One human. What he says =/= "law" or "truth". I could pluck out 50+ verses with in an hour to show that he himself is a sinner. He could not pick out more than 3 verses saying my homosexuality is wrong. Why? Because its ONLY ever mentioned in the new testament by Paul, who many thought to be homosexual, and if anyone knows anything about Paul its that if you do your exegesis pretty much half of his teachings no longer apply to us today.

So yea, he is kind of a fucking hypocritical prick.

#20 Greggers, Dec 3, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2009