1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else think Chelsea Handler went a little too far this time? (See thread)

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Greggers, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Greggers

Via The Advocate:

http://advocate.com/News/Daily_News/2009/12/04/Handler_to_Colfer_We_Know_Youre_Gay/

Chelsea Handler in essence "outed" Chris on her show with the above.

First off, background information. Prior to this, The Advocate had an interview with Chris where he basically said "In my highschool it was hard to be 'out', so i definitely was not" and out of that line people read "Im gay". After this, Chris' publicist released a statement saying "My clients personal life blah blah blah no statement blah blah" retracting his "outing" on The Advocate.

Now because he had stated on various occasions he does not want to talk about his personal life, i feel that Chelsea went too far in her "outing" of Chris. Its one thing to poke at his sexuality and drop hints, but she just pain stated "We know you're gay." (And to be honest, hes not fooling anyone; we do all know hes gay. But if Glee has taught us anything its that everyone should get to come out on their own terms if they are not harming anyone by pretending they are closeted, no matter how gay they act.)

My only thought is that this was planned, and Chris was looking for a gay friendly platform to actually come out. That would make sense, but from how they described his reaction to the question, im not sure if it was. It very well could have just slipped, like in his previous interview with The Advocate.

Im interested to hear everyone elses views?

2. JB1986

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well,Chelsea Handler is like that alot on her show. 95% of the time the show is awesome, and quite hysterical. And I love Chelsea, but there are times where she kinda comes as just mean. I think one time was when she made a particularily nasty comment to her assistant Chuy. I'm not entirely sure on this one. I'll have to watch the episode to be entirely certain, but it doesn't sound like it was particularily mean-spirited, but at the same time she really should have left Chris alone on that question. It's none of her business anyway. I mean, I'm thrilled that Chris came out (it was extremely obvious, but still :slight_smile: ) but he should have done it on his own terms, not Chelsea's.

3. Steve

Born in australia, but now living some where else
    i hate the fact the he is gay , because he looks gay ! GAYS should not have a look :frowning2:

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The fact is, though, many gays DO look and act like that. Not all, or not even most, but many.

Lex

5. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

He is being who he is. Most gays aren't like that and that's why we have to do our best to be out and make people understand us.

6. Emberstone

I think more of the problem is that fox it seems has asked him to tone down his sexuality last I heard. They didnt want the ire of conservatives slamming chris for being who he is,
    and they didnt want his sexuality to overshadow the show itself, which I think is silly.

I dont think she did it to be mean, but I also think she is tired of people being forced to not be who they are, and chris has basically already outed himself.

on the chuy issue... the snarky, over the line banter, if that is what you were talking about, where they take pot shots at each other, and trash each other, well, that has been happening from the beginning.

Chelsea lately is, has been, and always will be edgy and push the boundaries of what can be done.

7. Gaetan

Never seen her show, didn't even know who she is. :lol:

Chris Colfer's outing...I don't even see why this is even remotely an issue. Yes, she probably could have said it better on her show, but to me the whole thing is a non issue. I remember watching an interview with Colfer as part of the Glee promotional buildup, and the interviewer asked if his parents were accepting. Colfer answered something to the effect of, "Yes, very accepting." I just took that as, yes, he's gay.

In summary: yes, he's gay. Yes, we all knew it. So why does this matter?

8. Emberstone

she was quite forward about it. then she cracked a joke about once they exhausted that conversation, they ran out of reason why she invited him to the show. Well, she does that with alot of people, and they kept talking for the remainder of the interview.

She just likes to push the line a bit.

9. guacj

Lets not forget about what she talked about immediately after. Yes she was abrupt and yes she could have been a little softer about it, but she was making a point. She told him to not be shy about it and that he is helping hundreds of gay people out there who have trouble accepting themselves. She also makes a point all the time that its high time for equal rights for gay people and she seems to be our loudest voice in the US right now, and we need more people like her to help us get to where we need to be in this country.

10. Emberstone

I can see annoyance at the bluntness of the discussion of him being gay... but yah, she wasnt doing it maliciously. This is Chelsea lately on E!, not hannity and colmes. She does tend to speak out in support of gay rights, and not just becaue Guy Branum could tackle drop her in the blink of a eye.

11. Cracked Actor

It actually wasn't that rude, in my opinion at least.

"Your character is gay, you're gay [...] don't be shy about that." and she really praised him for his courage. But that's just my opinion. ;D

12. mmilam75

I think this was very similiar to when she had Louis Van Amstel....I didn't see it as outing, but rather as relating the character he played to his own life. As for the image Colfer has...the guy is just being himself. I think our community is large and diverse enough that we shouldn't run away from recognizing that a lot of GLBT folks identify with the character Chris Colfer plays and Colfer's natural persona as well. We shouldn't run from that, and I give the guy mad props for refusing to be obscure about his sexuality in the face of what I am sure the suits at Fox want.

13. Emberstone

I dont think that fox views chris being gay as having a impact on if glee is a family friendly show or not... I think it is more that they didnt want people who would have such a view tarnishing the show by getting all up in arms with it.

There is still a family tv council that watches tv, and complains if before 11pm, two guys are seen in a show holding hands.

But I think there is a disservice to chris for wanthing him to remain closeted.

14. Greggers

Ive heard alot of stuff floating around that Chris has stated he didnt want to "discuss his sexuality" because he wanted to be like every other closeted gay actor; One with a career.

Have you seen all the out gay people "giving advice" to young closeted gay actors not to come out? Its been quite a few of the big names doing this.

I, personally, think it will only get better when more people do come out in show biz, but i also respect everyone choice to remain closeted if they so wish, as long as they are not harming others by doing that. (AKA closeted gay politicians with a harsh anti-gay voting record)

15. mmilam75

I agree that it will only get better when people in show business come out and are still able to do well...it will demonstrate that people don't give a damn what an actor does in their home life, they care about their ability to actually perform...I look at the success, for example, that Neil Patrick Harris has had as proof that this is changing, but it won't be more widespread until more well known actors begin coming out of the closet.

As for actors doing harm to the cause, there's at least one who threatens a lawsuit whenever anyone whispers that he's gay...that is the kind of actor who does harm to the cause.

16. Gaetan

The problem with show business is that it is far too dependent on image.

If a gay actor comes out as gay early on in their career, everyone in the audience will know they are gay. That might get in the way of whatever character they are playing. If they're a good actor, it won't matter--but it still might affect perception.

That is what Hollywood is afraid of.

17. Emberstone

Just goes to show that the system/mentality needs to be changed.

18. RaeofLite

The mentality of admitting you are gay/bi/queer etc needs to be changed like Emberstone said. Although I don't think anyone should be 'outed' unless they want to and have agreed to it or they're not ready. It's their life...

19. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The sad thing is, it's all about strength in numbers. As more second-tier actors (Chris Colfer, George Takei, Neil Patrick Harris, etc) come out, it makes the environment just a little safer for bigger name actors to take the step. As soon as a couple of big-name actors do so, I think the stigma will be effectively broken.

I do think that Chris Colfer was sort of accidentally outed; when the pilot for the show aired and there were the initial interviews with the cast, somebody tracked down Chris' mother and interviewed her, and one of the questions was whether she'd discussed her son's sexuality (i.e., did she know if he was gay.) She tapdanced and gave some answer about "We haven't discussed it but I'm sure when he's ready he'll tell me, and if he is, that's fine." I'm sure that was complete BS to cover for Chris, who at the time didn't want to address the issue, since he later said his family had been completely supportive. But the that question was asked at the Hot Topic and sort of didn't leave him any wiggle room. You could see that he was sort of backed into a corner and didn't want to lie, and maybe once that happened, he figured he might as well be out front about it.

20. nomoresickness

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't think it was that bad, considering he had already openly interviewed previously stated that he was gay. Chelsea Handler is still a great ally, and has shown a considerate amount of support for the LGBT community. I think the type of show that she has also has to be taken into consideration, it's not like he was talking to Bill O'Reilly....