1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Jersey- Marriage News

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BitterEdge, Dec 6, 2009.

1. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

In the state of New Jersey, they are taking up the marriage equality bill in their Senate this week. Say what you will about New Jersey, but this would be much welcomed news after the crushing defeat in New York last week.

They apparently have the votes in the Assembly and am pretty sure they wouldn't be voting in the Senate if they didn't have the votes as well.

Thoughts?

2. Emberstone

didnt the governer say he would veto any equality bill for lgbt citizens?

Not to rain on the parade...

3. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

Corzine is still governor until January. He will sign it if passed.

4. Emberstone

Lets hope they get it to vote before the transition then. Makes me wondering if he would have any power when he takes office to overturn it.

5. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

That is unlikely and Christie knows that, if he is smart he will stay from trying to influence a vote because it's bad to interfere too early into his term. If it doesn't pass, the next chance will be in four years.

6. mmilam75

Christie is against marriage equality, but he is also a smart enough politician to know that trying to undo something his predecessor and the Legislature did that plays into what most people believe about Republicans anyway would doom passage of his own agenda. I think they will have the votes in the Assembly and the Senate and Corzine will sign the bill....critical they do this before the swearing in, though.

Welcome news!

7. Gaetan

In NJ, how much would be required to override a veto by the Governor?

8. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

A veto over ride will not be possible due to the Democrats losing seats this election, but this will pass mark my words and then NJ will join the five other states and DC that allow us the freedom to marry.

9. Emberstone

so, any set date for a vote?

I am always interested in seeing how these things play out, even though lately, facisem has beat out enlightened democracy. You cant put to vote a person's equal rights in a democracy.

10. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

The Senate judiciary committee will finish the bill on Tuesday with a Senate vote expected Thursday.

11. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is there any People's Veto jargon like there was in Maine should the bill pass?

12. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

There is no people's veto luckily in New Jersey.

13. mmilam75

I have a friend in Trenton who tells me that allies of the incoming Governor are quietly telling Republicans not to protest the vote too loudly or whip votes for an override too hard...pragmatic politics rules the day because he knows what people think of Republicans and this is a fight he doesn't want to have at the start of his term.

So, New Jersey will have gay marriage but New York won't? Because that makes soooooo much sense

14. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

That is true, Christie really does not want this fight right now unless he wants to overshadow his term from day 1.

15. mmilam75

The fact that New York has a reputation for being a much more progressive state than New Jersey, and yet NJ is willing to do the right thing, whereas the New York State Senate....well, this can give us back some of the momentum that Maine and NY cost us, so this is very good news indeed.

16. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

Yes and DC will be set in stone this year. We will have to re double our efforts in places like Maine, New York, Maryland, Oregon and Delaware.....and of course California in 2012.

17. Emberstone

I dont care if I am in a relationship or not. When oregon goes to vote, I am telling my family, and asking them to think of me when they make their decision. I am going to tell them that I am not telling them how to vote, but I want them to view the issue in part in how it might effect my future too, and the opertunties I might have on day.

18. mmilam75

I remain absolutely convinced that this is the best tack for us to win these "votes"...although how anyone else can vote on my rights or my life is still beyond me. Hpwever, poll after poll shows us that people are much less hesitant to support anti-gay marriage bills or votes if the issue becomes less "voting against the rights of GLBT folks to marry" and "voting against the right of my brother (or sister) to marry". They vote for us by a margin of 2 to 1 if they know that they know one of us.

19. HackmanWIU

I refuse to believe that Illinois is not among these states as "progressive" or even more so.

20. Emberstone

We have to prove to the people who will listen that this is a issue of human rights. We have to humanize this for as many people we can.

It isnt like sarah palin claiming she has gay friends... we need to come out and let as many people know that they *do* have gay friends.

We wont win hearts unless we open our hearts first and help other people see what this is really about.