1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

13 year old Testifies on NJ Marriage

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Greggers, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Greggers

Here is the entire thing, quite moving:

My favorite line has to be:

"And of course we have to get home to watch Glee."

That shows you they have true family values. None of this pish-posh "family values" that the republicans throw around to discriminate, REAL values. Like Glee.

2. ADTR fan

ADTR fan Guest

scoreeee maplewood!!! thats where i used to live!! and my boyfriend currently lives!! with his two dads and sister!!1

i live in the next town over. yesssss

and of course: like glee :slight_smile:

3. GhostDog

Oh my god, that was beautiful. My eyes are tearing up a little bit.

That kid is a persuasive speaker!

4. Emberstone

that takes guts... he has more guts then all those pro gay marriage democrats in NY state who voted it down because they had re-elections coming up.

5. Agreed. And it even comes across as something he actually meant as opposed to something he was influenced to say. Really beautiful.

6. littledinosaurs

7. fallendream

you guys nearly cried? you have hearts of stone compared to me.

8. Étoile

I thought it was heartwarming but I didn't even have the thought of crying in my head. It takes A LOT for me to cry, so yeah. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I hope this letter can persuade at least one conservative that we aren't heathens out to "taint the U.S." with our rainbow ray, that gay families are like every other American family, that we deserve equality as well.

9. Cracked Actor

Adorable n___________n

10. mmilam75

Wow.....I don't even have the words. Someone needs to sign this child up for a national speaking tour....like, yesterday.

11. Emberstone

he speaks better than half the politicians... who speak from the pocketbooks filled by lobbyists. He speaks from truth and from his heart.

12. RaeofLite

:eusa_clap

More people need to do this, so that people see the children of gay couples wanting to get married can be raised "normally" and go on to live happy lives. That way the push for marriage and adoption can go forward. We all deserve equality. :thumbsup:

13. Emberstone

just as long as we dont give equal rights to the crab people...

Honestly, I think the greatest gift to the gay rights movement, and I see this as a driving force for prior civil rights movements, are children.

Basically, they grow up with minds not clouded as much by societial values. Their fresh view of the world means that they will question things about prior generations.

my grandmother was born in oklahoma, and grew up there until nine. she remebers signs posted outside city lines that read "Nigger, when the sun sets, you better be gone" and she wondered why. Her parents had no problem with the sign, but she thought it was odd. my mother and aunt grew up in the middle of the civil rights movement in the fifties and sixties. they believe strongly in racial equality and that denying rights to blacks was wrong.

they grew up at a time when these things were being discussed extenisivly, and because they were young when this started, I believe that they were not clouded by earlier generations view on the matter.

There are still white supremecist out there who fight to reverse the progress for racial equality, but society overall has moved ahead with it.

I believe we are seeing a shift towards equality for LGBT people because kids are growing up in a time when these issues are out in the open and being discussed and debated. They are doing what my parents did, which is in their youth, asking why it is so bad for gays to be considered people and given the same rights.

A movement is in itself a shift of thought.

I wonder how many anti-gay republicans realize that yes, children our the future, and they are going to keep moving ahead with civil equality rights, because they may be young, but they are not ignorant to the idea of 'fair and unfair'