1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Onion: Can you take satire *too* far?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Greggers, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Greggers

(I heard of this from Afterelton.com, just giving credit where it is due.)

So many of you know of the fake news site, The Onion. They make satirical articles and videos about america and society as a whole, often in good humor and very easy to see as that. Sometimes they can go very far with their satire though, but up till now at least I have always been a supporter of it.

A new article was just released titled "Let Us Identify The Faggots And Then Inform Them Of Their Status". It is quite...well..."strongly worded"...at parts. If someone did not know this was satire, it could be one of the most offensive things they have ever read.

However, this is what im asking: Do you think they took satire too far with this piece? Is it offensive to you?

Personally, im still on edge. Im going to read it a few more times and see what everyone else thinks.

Edit: Thanks RaeofLite! Forgot the link! hehe...

http://www.theonion.com/content/opinion/let_us_identify_the_faggots_and

#1 Greggers, Dec 9, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  2. RaeofLite

3. Adam

I love The Onion and usually their gay related stories are hilarious. That article was stupid though, and says in it its not referring to homosexuals.

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I have enjoyed reading The Onion but I do think they go too far sometimes. It bothers me when they poke fun at people who die. That's going over the top.

5. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    gah I never liked the Onion in the first place, despite being a satire website, now I despise them.

6. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i thought it was brilliant and hilarious. it's clearly lampooning the machismo idiots who actually call people 'faggot'. I'm all for that.

7. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't see how. I just think it's silly....I just never liked the Onion.

8. Gin Uh Fur

Gin Uh Fur Guest

eh. dont like it. at all.

9. Pepsi

Pepsi Guest

^ That although it wasn't that funny I don't think it was at all offensive. It was just a fail on humor. It wasn't offensive to anyone but over macho idiots though.

10. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    it was humourous in a similar way to south park when it depicts people like former vice president gore. It's just raw, rude satire and i love that... Putting such a moronic thought process demonstrating the pack mentality so rife amongst young men into such a (relatively) articulate article just makes me laugh at anyone who actually would call someone a 'faggot' for any of the reasons in that article.

11. littledinosaurs

I don't think it went too far. It was amusing. It was not offensive to me at all.

12. Nitro

Time for another dissenting voice. The target, those displaying excessive false masculinity in rather annoying and idiotic manners, was ripe for the picking. The author did not go far enough so as to make the humour clear. Smile out loud funny, but still worth the read.

13. adam88

Agreed. However, I usually like my satire as biting and inflammatory as possible so this sort of thing's up my alley. If it doesn't provoke a reaction, it's not doing it's job.

14. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

I certainly wasn't offended as a member of the LGBT community. But as a card-holding comedian, I thought it was not very funny. It felt like those terrible spoof movies where they fail to actually make fun of the material and end up just spewing it out again, claiming that it 'makes fun of itself'.

Yawn.

15. lostinthought9

I can see where some people would be offended. However, I was smiling throughout, and I absolutely hate the word "fag/faggot." If it were to appear on another source, not LGBT-related, then I probably would have felt offended.

16. Meropspusillus

I didn't think it was funny, but I wasn't really offended. It was nowhere near the usual quality of the onion though. (My favorite editorial was "If I'm crazy, then why are men still dating me?")

17. Emberstone

18. Just Adam

i see no satire at all in that...i msut be missing somethign i know us british only have dry wit but... thats jsut seems likea rant against fags....oh god i cant believe i even tryped that word thats how crawling my skin is reading that...

talking abotu attacking fags...oh god typedd it again ...

19. Brandford

Whats supposed to be funny about it?

20. shimmersky

I agree with most. Not as funny as the Onion usually is, but definitely not offensive, and obviously meant as a joke against macho guys.

----------

Remember: when "A Modest Proposal" was written, the public was outraged. They all thought that Swift was being totally serious, and they were completely disgusted. And now we look back on that and think the whole thing is hilarious. I'm not saying that this Onion article is nearly as clever or funny or important as that; I'm just saying that it goes into the same category: satire that a lot of people are apparently taking the wrong way.