1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Houston elects Lesbian mayor.

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by starfish, Dec 13, 2009.

1. starfish

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2009/12/houston-mayor-annise-parker-lesbian.html

Like I've said Texans are more concerned with taxes than who a person sleeps with.

2. RaeofLite

They just don't want the people of the same sex who sleep together to be married...

Still, that is a step in the right direction towards equality..

3. ANightDude

At least the stereotype is dying as well. It's idioitic how people think being gay here is so awful and that you'll be shot by rednecks, won't be accepted, etc. when that isn't the case at all.

4. kettleoffish

It's good to see a 'queer' person elected for something other than gay rights - the best type of equality is the type where it doesn't even matter. If that makes any sense.

5. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

This is so true. Dallas has the sixth largest gay population in the US and is recognized for being one of the most gay-friendly cities around.

@Kettleoffish
    I completly agree. I think this is an example of how homosexuality is finally becoming well enough integrated into society that it is not considered abnormal...certainly at least not any reason to effect if you would vote for someone or not.

#5 Kevin42, Dec 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2009
  6. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

She, along with Barney Frank show that orientation should not matter to how well someone can do a particular job. Maybe people like this will help and assure that ENDA passes very soon.

7. Emberstone

is houstan one of the more progressive areas of texas? I hae heard that before.

8. mmilam75

Houston is more progressive than, say, Dallas, but much less progressive than Austin. I have several friends who live in Texas, so I know a little bit about the state in terms of the political breakdowns.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6767621.html

What is interesting about her victory is that, as the Chronicle points out in the article above, in several of Houston's reliably Republican precincts, the Mayor-Elect consistently finished first or second while her main challenger, who aligned himself with blatant homophobes finished fourth...that is a very good sign when even Republican areas are voting without regard to a candidate's sexual orientation.

A very good sign, indeed.

#8 mmilam75, Dec 13, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2009