1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trans Activist Calls for Boycott on Avatar

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Revan, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well while I don't mean to be bias, but this is the dumbest article I've ever read....

I'm sorry but what?

2. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This won't work. Hollywood doesn't care if you're actually inside the theater or not. You pay for tickets, they make money, and the film goes further. :thumbsup:

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah that's what is also quite stupid...

4. mmilam75

Unless there's a clear homophobic message, I see things like this as playing into the hands of the right wing nuts...they will see something like this and go on for a week about how the gays can't even let a movie be a movie...sometimes, a movie is just that, and this strikes me as being a bit over the top.

5. Geist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    so wait I'm lost... did the film say there are no gays in the future? or did it happen to be a movie that takes place in the future that just happens to not have any gay characters?

because if that is the case than this whole call to protest is just plain stupid.

6. mmilam75

As I understood it, in the future, the movie assumes people have evolved to transgendered, and they're objecting because that eliminates homosexuality, bisexuality, etc.

7. starfish

8. Astaroth

To me, the statement that human evolution would eventually lead to global transgenderism is almost a positive message for the LGBT community. It's basically validating the breakdown of gender norms that is slowly happening today and saying that in the distant future, your sex and gender do not need to correlate in order to have a relationship.

AS A RESULT... if everyone was transgendered, then of course there wouldn't be gay or bisexual relationships. Everyone would identify as a blur of both genders, and therefore everyone would already be sort of bisexual.

This protest is not well thought out and won't impact a thing. I certainly won't be wasting my money to support the flawed rationale behind it, even though I DO support equal rights. And who's to say that we don't eventually evolve into a purely hetero/transgender species? Unless I missed something, that's the whole POINT of science fiction: speculation on the future. I could just as easily make a movie where everyone in the world is gay and that all children are prearranged by genetic potential. Should that offend straight people? Not really. It's fiction.

9. Eponine

I'm all for having nonheterosexuals represented more in movies, but this just seems incredibly silly to me. Are there any studies that would even hint at the human race transitioning towards trangenderism? If there are, I haven't seen them.

Even if that were the case, it's not as though the film is anti-lgbt, or at least it doesn't seem to be. If there was evidence for that, then a protest might be more reasonable. Regardless, it's sci-fi. It's not supposed to be realistic in many ways. I seriously don't think whether or not it ends up being an accurate representation on one thing is the point of the movie.

#9 Eponine, Dec 16, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  10. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

Most important thing you said. As in, not reality.

11. Just Adam

just cos hollywood doesent have someone running on singing show tunes or another wolf whistleing a woman doesent mean there wont be gay people in a movie... if the premise is that humans in general have evolved to not give a crap thats good :slight_smile:

but there will allways be those that like same sex unless biologically controled by deleting the gay gene >.>

boycot avatar ! HA! its set to be possibly biggest film of the year the money spent o make it means i need to see it

and i am seeingit today in 3d :slight_smile:

12. Emberstone

I dont get it. when they say transgenderism, do they mean everyone will be transgendered, as in change their gender to the opposate gender to the one they were born biologically (though not necessarily emotioally or cognatively)?

I am going to see the movie on friday, and the reason I am going to go see it is mostly for the sheer spetacle of it. could care less about the sexualities of the characters.

Hate to offend anyone here but heterophobia is as disgusting in my mind as homophobia is. Hate is not the answer, and to make a statement that heterosexuality is going to be evolved out of being, and we need to boycott any film about the future that doesnt present that to be a really lame and idiotic statement.

breeding is a vital part the continuation of animal life. Heterosexuality is not going to disappear unless we develop a way to procreate without the need for gender, and that is very rare in the animal kingdom. very few animals are capable of single gender birthing, and unless we are going to devolve into slugs, dont hold your breah for that happening in the human race.

13. Greggers

Im not going to see this movie.

Why?

Because it looks fucking horrible. :slight_smile: I dont need to sit through two hours of pretty CGI were things fight but nothing actually happens.

This "boycott" however will add nothing to my decision. I do agree that it is un-realistic for so many movies to be without a single LGBT presence, but it is equally un-realistic for EVERY movie to have an LGBT presence. The movie, from what i can tell, does not say anything negative about homosexuality NOR positive about heterosexuality.

14. Emberstone

Why does a film or book, or other form of expressive medium have to have sexuality in any compacity?

I really dont get where this teenager got the'heterosexulaity will be removed through evolution.

truth is, there has always been LGBT people. we just are able to be more open and honest about who we are. It is not that more of us exist, as much as it is that society is more open to us being out.

15. crystaltriforce

these guys do know or at least relize that makeing such a big deal and boycotting the movie will make more people WANT to see it?

16. Gaetan

From what I've seen of the film (not much) I don't even see how it's at all related to any GLBT issue at all. Ah well, I'll be going to see it for what it is: an action film with explosions and maybe a bit of philosophy/morality sprinkled in for good flavor.

17. littledinosaurs

lol, I wanted to see it before and now i'm so confused about the "everyone will be transgendered in the future" that now i have to see it in order to understand that in all it's entirety.

18. Emberstone

I think we should all go see it 12 times each to piss this kid off.

I am sorry... but you cant fight discrimination with discimination.

19. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This might be harsh, but it sounds like a very unhappy kid looking for something to bitch about, and plastering a poorly thought out argument onto a popular movie to try and get attention. As such, it doesn't deserve any response.

20. Just Adam

i watched a 30 min making of last night with james cam and whats avatar about ? basically humans needs resources for energy and this planet has them so they use the avatar to disguise themselves and go undercover to infiltrate the population and covertly want to get their stuff....

as we know from trailers etc theres a fight so i say the plan goes tits up..

and i agree i dunno why sexuality has to allways play a part in these films...when it comes to sexuality 3 things happen

1) the leading man allways gets teh woman who has a stupid name and wears very little..
    2) women on women scenes are in slow motion and theres more camera zoom there than on the enterprise view screen...>.>
    3) gay guys are allways stereotypical...they dont have to match every stereotype but they will match one somehow...

as for hetrophobia...its not the reason id choose to hate humans i got alot better. if i was to do that i would basically ahte peopel for no other reason than existing and that is irrational to me.