1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Petition: tell the Catholic Archdiocese: "Don't use the homeless as anti-gay pawns!"

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Pseudojim, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unbelievable, but true: The Catholic Archdiocese of Washington, D.C. threatened to cut its city-supported social services, in protest, if the D.C. Council were to pass marriage equality. Those services include homeless shelters, food programs for needy families, and health services.

Now the bill has passed – a great victory for equality. But we need to make sure they don't follow through on their threat.

Tell DC's Archbishop: don't use the homeless and needy as political pawns!

https://secure3.convio.net/hrc/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=637

2. Greggers

Re: Petition: tell the Catholic Archdiocese: "Don't use the homeless as anti-gay pawn

Why are we such a scary people?

Honestly, why?

I dont understand. I physically cannot make my brain understand. It just...does not compute. Am i so terrifying that your willing to risk the well-being of needy people to try and stop me from doing something that is completely NONE of your business and will never even come close to affecting you in the smallest way?

Sigh.

3. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: Petition: tell the Catholic Archdiocese: "Don't use the homeless as anti-gay pawn

I'd suggest you sign the petition, but you and i are relatively powerless as non citizens.

4. Astaroth

Well, my original post apparently didn't submit before I headed off to work earlier, so I'll try this again.

I'm not going to sign the petition and here's why.

I think that it's safe to say that we all disagree on the stance that the Catholic Archdiocese has taken and the measure that they are willing to go to in order to prove their point. It would essentially equate them to blackmailing hostage-takers. They are using the poor, the homeless, and orphans as a bartering chip in order to get their way in the political arena. It's despicable and low even for a Church with a bad track record lately.

While some of the money used to fund the services that the Archdiocese currently runs comes from church coffers, a large chunk is also taxpayer money. Why, then, should we beg this institution that is so easily willing to use the poor and homeless and orphans as hostages to take them back? Why not remove the funding that they no longer need and use it to create a more secular organization that won't pull these ridiculous stunts whenever something gay-related comes on the docket. Should we simply beg them to take back their hostages until the next time something like this comes up? What happens when Maryland or Delaware move toward marriage equality? What happens when there's a national marriage equality push? Do we keep begging them to do what another non-religious organization could do just as well given a little time and resources and money?

If the Archdiocese decides to remove its programs and services, then that falls on them, not us. They are already tax exempt and receiving money on top of that to run these programs. If they feel so ingracious that they would discontinue their services, then it's only fair that we discontinue their already-ludicrous pampering.

I'm always willing to change my mind if someone can give a good argument for why it would be better to go back to the status quo on this. Until then, that's my reason.

5. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Great point! but i don't think it's likely they'll stop, and even if they did, i don't think it would be likely that a secular charity would step in in its place...

6. Emberstone

didnt sign the petition since it requires private information.

7. RaeofLite

Obviously... religious leaders are in the right mind here. I mean... God would love to see the homeless die as religious sacrifices to the greater good... denying people the freedom in a democratic nation to marry whoever they are attracted to and love!

I totally get it. But... really, I think they should shove their books where the sun don't shine (where God would want them.) and take a look at other things the Bible used to allow like slavery. :grin:

8. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

used to allow?

9. RaeofLite

Well ok, I guess they didn't change it, but it's still in there and they "allow it". My bad. I typo-ed.

10. Greggers

I kind of agree Astaroth, if the church is going to pull this shit then a secular charity would be a much better way to go.

But the Catholic Church, you have to remember, is not doing this charity because they want to have a bargaining chip. They do charity because they feel they have to in the eyes of God; its just another rule for them to follow. This, generally, is a good thing. Many non-religious charities have that extra incentive to become corrupt. Not saying all secular charities are, and im not saying all religious one arnt, but its definitely a factor. I actually prefer the church to do charity work. I just feel like they are doing it for all the right reasons and that somehow leads to better charity for the ones receiving it. You do have to admit, they have been a machine when it comes to helping the poor all across the world.

But back to the other point. I agree if they are going to do this shit, they need to be put in their place in one of two ways. Way a) They get replaced by someone and realize this shit wont fly. Way b) They get so much backlash, outcry, and scolding from people they realize this shit wont fly. So im willing to sign a petition. Its not going to "un-help" so i dont see why you would not, even if you think there is a better way.

11. Just Adam

i sent my own message saying what i am and how god is the only one who can judge and sayign what teh bible means etc then sayign to not stop helping people as its not what jesus would do it was quite long... i really played up only god can judge part cos humans are full of weakness and how the bible core belief is to love and care for all and how god put everyone here for a reason etc etc

i jstu hope in all i sent they actualyl bother to read these and dont jsut hit delete all.

12. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

This is why I hate religion/religious people.

They shouldn't be using blackmail, and the homeless do not equal gay people. I really want to lash out at religion right now but I'll try not to. It just pisses me off how stupid people can be. My brain just wants to explode. I cannot fathom the stupidity of mindless followers.

@gregger's first post. I totally agree.

@gregger's second post. I don't think it's good that they are doing it because they have to to go to heaven. :/ I think they should do it just because it's the right thing to do.... like most secular charities.

13. kettleoffish

I signed, for what little difference it'll make, and I dunno if I'm meant to outide the US, but I did anyway.

14. Connor22

That's annoying the way I can't join in. I'm British. The ZIP code thing defeats me.

15. Just Adam

i just types 12345 lol no zip code shall defeat me

16. Greggers

I think ive heard that first part before...oh yea! Its the same thing that homophobic people say. They group all gay people together in lump statements like "I hate gay people", not distinguishing that there is a variety in the word. Hating someone solely for being religious is just as bad.

Yea, i guess i agree doing it only to do to heaven is kind of a bad reason :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I do think its a useful reason though, thats what i meant. If someone does charity so they can get into God's good books they are more likely to do more of it and expect less in return. Many secular charities are used for tax purposes and many actually make money off the charity work. Again, not all, but definitely quite a few.

17. Connor22

YES EAT THAT CATHOLIC CHURCH! Hey does this mean I moved in with you? ROFL

18. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Does that me a religiōphobe? I guess I am. Ok, well I'm only a religiōphobe to very religious people. If you are a.... secular(?) person who believes in a God I don't hate them. :slight_smile: Not afraid to admit it.

19. Brandford

I somewhat agree, but not about hating religious people specificly but hating religion in general. Religion has caused more death directly and indirectly than any other aspect in history. Religion has caused almost more death than greed itself and thats definitely saying something.