1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT rights where you live

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by sokk, Dec 20, 2009.

1. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    How are the LGBT rights where you live? Do you have gay marriage? The right to adopt?

I'm lucky to be living in Norway. We have gay marriage, adoption and IVF for lesbians.

2. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

Well in my state we have gay marriage, and discrimination based on sexuality is forbidden by law in the workplace and in schools. I have no idea if we can adopt here or not, I'm assuming we can.

3. mmilam75

I live in Arizona...Arizona state law is notoriously anti-gay, but the city of Phoenix municipal law covers things like domestic partner benefits and the like. Marriage is not likely to happen in Arizona anytime soon, but I think we're within spitting distance of putting together enough Democrats and Libertarian Republicans that we can get statewide civil unions passed. Also, adoptions are not limited, but most state adoption agencies tend to be pretty conservative.

All in all...it ain't Massachussetts or Iowa, but it isn't the south either.

4. Greggers

Canada.

Pretty much everything. A few laws could be improved/expanded, but for the most part we have everything.

And still one of the top countries in the world for gay rights, so thats always comforting.

5. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

Speaking of which, gays can donate bone marrow in Canada! Still no blood donation, but I expect it will follow soon.

6. AtomicCafe

^ Same as above, of course. I'm in Tucson, though, which is the blue part of the state so we get a little more. Domestic partnerships are recognized and the city provided all the nice perks of marriage to same-sex partners of city employees until we got a new governor who took them away. The university down here is totally awesome with anti-discrimination policies. I can see civil unions or something similar passing within the next 5 years.

7. Gaetan

Idaho has a constitutional amendment banning all forms of domestic, civil, and legal partnerships for everything except heterosexual marriage.

While the adoption rules aren't specific, I don't believe they have ever allowed any same sex adoptions.

Finally, housing and jobs...Idaho has no specific law protecting these rights for LGBT.

...I find it ironic that Idaho shares it's name with IDAHO, the International Day Ainst Homophobia.

Edit: As I've said before, Idaho will be one of the states to adopt homosexual marriage when the federal government passes it and makes it a national law.

#7 Gaetan, Dec 20, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  8. dude99

dude99 Guest

Well where I live most people are accepting to homosexuals, however in my state gay marriage or civil unions are not legal yet. Here it is also illegal for same sex couples to adopt, but individual persons are allowed to adopt.

9. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Oh, and I forgot to say that we have an anti discrimination law for LGBT people. And we are allowed to serve openly in the military.

The only thing lacking in Norway now is for men who have sex with men to be allowed to donate blood.

We can't get married in church yet either. Since the bishops refuse to make a new gender neutral liturgy, and most priests refuse to marry us anyway. We do have civil marriages though, with all the same rights and benefits as straight couples getting married.

Norway is however not perfect. Just a few weeks ago a lesbian couple were refused to baptise their son. The second largest political party in Norway and another minor christian party is still against everything when it comes to LGBT rights. And the huge christian population is always working against us.

But all in all I would say we are pretty lucky. I mean, it could be worse, but it could be better too.

10. kettleoffish

UK

we have civil unions, but not marriage. As far as I know, we can adopt. I don't know about IVF, but I expect that we have it. Discrimination against gays is illegal, still can't donate blood though.

11. JB1986

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    i live in Michigan. We really don't have much in the way of LGBT rights. No Civil or Domestic Partnerships, and of course no Gay Marriage. There's also no job or housing protection, either. :frowning2:

12. Connor22

I don't know what the laws are like here. Probably pointless with circular logic as their core ideal. Northern Ireland sucks for things like that.

13. Mickey

I live in Massachusetts,and as most people know,we have gay marriage,gay adoption and
    protection laws. I can't wait for the day (which I believe will be sooner rather than later),that the whole US will follow suit. IMO,this needs to go to the Supreme Court and NOT to the voters. That is just a waste of time.

14. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Still can't believe MEXICO CITY legalized gay marriage yesterday! It's crazy.

15. Apocalypte

You have civil partnership (giving practically all the rights of marriage), and all the other stuff that anywhere that's administratively part of the UK has. It's just that the people of NI have generally messed up attitudes to anything got to do with Teh Gay.

South of the border... we're waiting on the Civil Partnership bill to give any sort of very limited recognition to same-sex relationships. Sexual orientation is a protected category in anti-discrimination legislation. As long as Fianna Fail are in power though, they will be very reluctant to advance LGBT rights in any way. They're the party of ignorant culchies and the Catholic church.

16. Gin Uh Fur

Gin Uh Fur Guest

im not really sure what rights my state has. i know i cant get married here.

17. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    If you are in the U.S., you can go to the Human Rights Campaign website (www.hrc.org) to find out what is legal and what is not in your state.

In Oregon, we have Domestic Partnerships. We have a current ban on same-sex marriage which we are planning to repeal by votes in 2012. Wish us luck! We have anti-discrimination laws based on sexual orientation and gender identity. It is also legal for same-sex couples to adopt jointly. Yeah!

18. Amy

Amy

I live in California so there was that Prop. 8 bullshit.

Right now:
    Marriage: No; legislation is being pushed that would repeal the ammendment caused by the passage of Prop. 8 and the outcome of the court cases
    Adoption: Yes.
    Civil partnerships: Yes.

19. dude99

dude99 Guest

well even though I mentioned there is no civil union scheme in New South Wales, however, the City of Sydney provides a relationship register available to all residents of the state.

That includes gay couples as well, on where couples can have an official document where it tells the couple is sharing their lives together. In addition they can have a cermony to pubically celebrate there union, however it does not confer legal rights in the same way as a marriage does.

20. ANightDude

Let's see... Texas.

No Marriage or unions of any kind, but we have the right to adopt.