1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anti Gay Pastor takes in a Windfall

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Emberstone, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Emberstone

I know this may not seem directly relatable to gay rights, but this really irks me.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_rick_warren_donations

After prop 8, the money he spent, including a dramatic increase in the cut he personally took as a salery from his churches coffers, he asked for nearly a million dollar to pay off the debts he ecrued fighthing prop 8 and lining his pocket.

what worries me is that he took in 2.4million, and after his church spent more in 2008 and 2009fighting equal rights than all of their other works directed to community outreach, who wants to bet most of that money will go again towards fighting for inequality and dictatorship style oppression of anyone different through political means?

2. NickT

...:bang:

(That's all I have to say)

3. mattyrusso

4. olides84

The article you quoted doesn't have any of those details. Can you cite where you've read this? I'm not questioning you--I want to see those facts. I've always thought this guy was slime (like most/all megachurch pastors), especially the way he backtracked from his anti-gay rhetoric when Obama picked him to be the minister at the inauguration.

5. Emberstone

kinda hard to quote a live news broadcast. cnn *i dont think it was msnbc, but I might be mixed up* a few months back talked about how anti gay marrige groups and churches were spending more to fight prop 8 in 2008 than they did most charitable out reaches that year, and rick warrens church was noted as one of the bigger spenders to fight marriage equality in california.

just seems supicious that they spent so much money to fight equality, doing more so that what they did for foodbanks and other community outreach, then ask for donantions to pay off their debt from doing that.