1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Jersey: We Need Action

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by BitterEdge, Jan 3, 2010.

1. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

Time is closing in for a needed vote on marriage equality in New Jersey, we need the legislatures to vote before Christie takes office in two weeks.

Email NJ State Senators and tell them they need to vote in favor of marriage equality and delaying isn't an option.

Also, if you have friends or family in the state, call and email them to let them know what is going on.

Thirdly, check out Garden State Equality's website.

We need action now, it's our time.

2. I'll do whatever I can. Which senators have you emailed?

3. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

I have contacted all sponsors and Baroni. I would email him again as well as Republicans and Democrats not cosponsors. The more attention the better here.

4. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

Please keep up the pressure everyone!

5. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

Tomorrow is the big day and while passage may be unlikely, fingers are still crossed.

6. Ander Blue

Copenhagen, Denmark (normally Troy, New York)
    Just two more hours until it starts!!!

7. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

While it probably will not pass, I am proud that everyone worked to it get it to this point.

8. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well it just got defeated by 20 Nays to 14 Yea's...

9. Greggers

Ok; I read some of the first hand testimonies given by people at the last NJ vote or whatever that was a week or two ago. How anyone can vote 'Nay' after hearing that just makes me want to give up on humanity as a whole. Ive said it before and ill say it again, I dont physically understand how someone thinks they are doing the right thing by striking down other people's rights with a vote that does not affect them in the tiniest way.

ANYWAYS - So this is another 4 (Min.) years before another vote even has a chance of becoming law? Lets just hope that within that time some ground will have been gained on the federal level. It would be nice to make a clean sweep of all the states like that.

10. NickT

I'm going to punch a wall out in a moment...

11. Étoile

Typical. :dry:

12. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

It's next step is a legal battle in the courts, since in NJ the courts stated that legislatures need to create something equivalent if not marriage for same-sex couples. It won't be four years and we will win this in the Garden State!

13. JB1986

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ugh. Can't say I'm surprised, though. It's hard not to feel extremely pessimistic.

14. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

Again, the court will decide it in the Garden State, we have had good wins elsewhere in the past year!

15. JB1986

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree. We had alot of states get gay marriage last year. It kinda felt like a really nice whirlwind. Just hard not to feel slightly dejected these past few months, but we can't give up hope. :slight_smile:

16. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

Again court cases still hopeful in NJ, never know another state might surprise us this year...wish I could say Hawaii, but we shall see.