1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Normalizing Homosexual Relationships

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by zzzero, Jan 4, 2010.

1. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    someone probably pointed this out already because it actually happened AGES (2005) ago, but I found this article just now and it made me want to go slap some sense into that guy.
    http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=45594
    He doesnt want kids reading the book his son brought home from school because it shows gay couples along with straight couples. I quote this from a group that supports him, who is quoted in the article

"the book "uses subtle but powerful emotions to normalize homosexual relationships in the minds of the young children."

Did no one bother to ask why normalizing homosexual relationships was a bad thing?

2. olides84

Exactly! What would society rather show kids - normal homosexuals relationships, or married gay guys who are miserable and cheat on their wives with unsafe random sex.

3. RaeofLite

I think the big issue is still that "homosexuality is still a choice". That's the belief many if not most people have. So the "gay agenda" is at work because that book was published! RAWR *cue Gay agenda monster*

I think something similar happened with the former gay penguin couple in a zoo. A book was written about it and there was a backlash at some schools...

The issue with homosexuality is that people need to realize it's not a choice. Why on earth would somone choose to feel like crap because of mean/hateful things people say or do to gays/bis/trans etc?

4. mmilam75

It's even more subtle than that...even people who are supportive use words like "sexual preference", as though someone woke up one day and said "By George, I think I'll like guys today!" I think you need to challenge them very specifically and ask the question - why would any sane, rational person choose to identify themselves in a way that will put them at risk for losing their job, their home, their friends, their loved ones? The only rational explanation is that this is who we are, and to deny that would be to drive ourselves insane for the next sixty or seventy years.

Hearing stuff like this is enough to make me want to go cut a :***:

5. No One

The thing is though some people refuse to believe that. On the way back Christmas vacation my parents started talking about gay couples while we were in the car, after going on and on about how wrong it is my dad put it "and whats worse is that they try to make it out as who they are not a choice they make, which is un-true, those people choose to be in that life style". People like my parents will not believe that it isnt a choice, they refuse to hear it no matter the prof or the reason.

6. paint

ahahaha

I just can't imagine what goes through those people's heads. It;s so frustrating and devastating to self-esteem. I mean the skills you gain from acting every f#ck!ng millisecond and wishing so hard you were normal. It's ridiculous. You just hit puberty and :eek: Judgment waltzes in with a giant titanium hammer and attacks you. It is rubbish to the MAX.

It pisses me off to no end, because often we're talking about children here, and it's so cruel. I just don't know.:cry:

7. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He's suing the town and school board? Really? This is ridiculous...

8. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's going to be a long time before it is "normal." if it ever is. Normal is what the majority of society is. The majority of society probably won't become homosexual. Therefore, it won't really become normal ever. There will always be ignorant bigots. Being abnormal isn't always a bad thing though.

9. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ha ha ha, but with their logic, the majority of society could just "become" gay! =P

10. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

I don't know, it could go both way. Society is definitly built for right-handed people, but its not like left-handedness is in any way abnormal. Imagine parents were against books normalizing left-handed people?

11. Holmes

That's quite a nice comparison to make. Or imagine people thought someone chose to left-handed, or that someone could, with pressure, be encouraged to change into a rightie. Sounds ridiculous, why would anyone choose to left-handed when society is built around the 90% who are right-handed. But people did presume that, on some presumption that there's one basic mould we all come from.

I think gay activists need to be clear on this point, as this case was used in the successful Prop 8 in California and Prop 1 in Maine initiatives. Of course in a world where gay couples get married children are going to find out that some men like other men rather than women. They need to be clear that knowledge of homosexuality is not what turns people gay. Press the innateness argument. This man's son will either grow up not being gay, as most do, or grow up gay, and there's nothing reading that book will have done to affect that.

12. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't see any mention of a wife for this guy in the article. I guess not having two parents is normal for him.

13. It's a hell of a lot better to have two gay parents than be in a one-parent family. Believe me, I know just how bad a relationship between two adults can get. I just love the mentality of these people! 2 parents of the same sex < 1 parent?!

What. The. Fuck.

Oh yeah, and he lives in Massachusetts, one of the most gay-friendly states in the country. HAHA!

#13 AlexPatrickMorrissey, Jan 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2010
  14. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is abnormal to be left-handed by the definition. But it's a more acceptable thing. They used to force people to be right handed.

15. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

Actually having one parent is normal for me. And there are a bunch of people who say, "Well it's better to have two loving parents of the same sex than one parent *wink*" And I take offense to that. So all you people saying that it's ridiculous to say that two parents of the same gender are somehow lesser than one parent, you're right. But it's equally as stupid to make the reverse argument as well.

16. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Having one parent is not necessarily a bad thing in some cases, but it is usually a lot harder for that parent to support their child financially and emotionally. The argument here is not that single parents are bad, it's that single parents are not looked down upon in society but gay parents are, yet there's less financial and emotional risk with two gay parents. That is the norm, and you might be the exception to this, but there are plenty of single parents who struggle to get by.

----------

Massachusetts may be one of the most gay-friendly states, but we do have our fair share of people like this guy. Generally it's a great place to live but sometimes you come across the occasional biggot who naturally thinks they're better than everyone else for being different than the norm.