1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monkey Uncaged: Can’t Butch and Femme Men Just Get Along?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Greggers, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Greggers

Ok, so let me start off by saying: I know this topic comes up alot but i am constantly reminded that its a discussion thats worth having. Our LGBT community is great, but far from perfect. Threads pop up every day on equal rights, religion, and coming out tales, but sometimes we look over the problems that we have with each other. I think this article is a good read because it forces you to look at both sides to the argument, something thats so important to do if you want to learn. Furthermore, this article is off a site for gay and bisexual men. It does not directly speak to the L or T in the community, but i still think its a good read anyways! Ok, carry on : )

(Article: http://www.afterelton.com/askmonkey/uncaged-butch-versus-femme)

I was reading my daily dose of Afterelton and i came across this article by Brent Hartinger, an amazing writer for the site. He has written articles on this same subject before, but this one was laid out very well and i enjoyed it very much.

In a nutshell, he trys to explain both sides of this ever-present battle. "Butch" (meaning traditionally masculine acting) homo/bisexuals verses "Effeminiate" (meaning traditionally feminine acting) homo/bisexuals.

My favorite line would have to be this:

It just sums everything up for me. But anyways - Discuss! What were your thoughts? ideas? comments? ect.?

2. RaeofLite

Well I don't know about the case for gay guys... but I know I have a effeminate gay guy friend and there are days when... he can get too much. :frowning2: (As much as I hate to say). But honestly... he doens't take advice and doesn't know how to respect himself/others so... it's probably just him.

I have other gay guy friends though. And as for myself I am butch some days, femme others, neither or both on the remainder days basically however I feel. :slight_smile:

3. partietraumatic

I agree there, very good and interesting article.

Not being part of any gay community, its not an issue i have particularly considered before. I wouldn't call myself 'butch', im far from that, but i don't come across as particularly 'gay' so i guess for the purpose of this article im in that group. I certainly get where he is coming from about having to come out 'again again and again'. I have friends who are very effeminate and they don't have to come out, beacause everyone just knows that they are gay- its obvious. Even if they do have to tell someone, they certainly get no surprise, and don't have to deal with the worry of being treated differently, as everyone assumes they are gay anyway. I do envy this. I've never had anyone guess i'm gay, even now all my friends don't know, because i have to tell every one of them. Because im not particiularly effeminate i still find it hard and nerve racking to tell people.

But as i say, im not really part of any gay community. Interestingly this could well be because i find large numbers of gay people rather intimidating. Why this is the case, i don't know.

Anyway i'd be interested to hear the opinions and experiences of anyone who is part of a community.

4. littledinosaurs

There are always personality types that clash and this is just another example one of them.
    Some butch&femmes will get along and others won't. It's not going to greatly change because of an article like this (but maybe there will be more understanding? who knows.)

It's the same thing with a really neat person and a really messy person. They are just going to get on each others' nerves and not because they mean to. They are just being themselves. Some people can get over the other person's perceived faults; others cannot.

The article seemed to touch upon breaking gender types. This is just a random blurb I have with gender types. I feel that they only people who are really concerned with them are some extreme people who follow them (hyper masculine/feminine people) or the people who are extremists against them (cause they are constantly talking about them). I feel like nobody follows them strictly and everyone kind of does whatever they want without really thinking "oh no, this is going against masculinity/femininity!"

5. Emberstone

if that is who a person is, why should it be a problem.

I knew a guy who wasnt butch or masculine, but when he came out, he started acting more femme then carson cressley. turned out in the end, he only acted that way in public because he thought that was how gay men are suposed to act. that was what his homophobic father had led him to believe.

If you are just being yourself, thats fine, but I think if you feel pressured to be someone you are not, there is a deeper problem.

infighting in the gay community wont get us anywhere.

6. JB1986

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that if someone is naturally butch or naturally femme, it's no problem. They're just being themselves, and that's awesome. People who purposely try to act butch or femme when they clearly are not is just harmful to themselves. Just my opinion. :slight_smile:

Me, I consider myself to be in the middle. I'm far from butch, but I'm pretty far from femme too. I like being in the middle, it's just the way I am. I love masculine gay guys, and I love queeny gay guys, as long as they're being themselves. The media can project the femme stereotype I know, and I also know some men act that way because they think that's how gay men are supposed to act. I wish the media projected more of a "be yourself" message. I worked with two (legitimately) femme gay guys and let me tell you, I always had a blast with them. We got along great, and just clicked. Plus, it was fun to check out hot guys together. :grin:

I hate the butch vs. femme thing. Can't we just get along, accept, and appreciate each other? :slight_smile:

7. Markio

I just think we need to respect each other for whatever degree of masculinity or femininity we present. I feel the pressure to be masculine in larger society, while with the gay community at my school I feel the pressure to be effeminate and more obviously gay as though to show my "alliance". Why can't we just be ourselves and not care how obvious or inconspicuous our sexual orientations are?

8. Greggers

Just personally, my community (Town/School/Friends) is quite the opposite. I have one or two girl friends who are very butch, and they have the whole "fuck the world" attitude going on :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: (so jealous.) but everyone else seems to cling to these molds of what a man or woman should and should not do. I assume because its kind of the suburbs of the suburbs and very religious. Just an example, but i was good friends with this jid in highschool and when Juno came out we were going to see it together, but someone told him if he went he would be stuck beside two lesbians who wanted to share their bag of mixed nuts with him. (A popular inside joke with my friends now) So guess what? He saw Cloverfield. That he saw the week before. And didnt like. And left me. Alone. Thankfully i found two girls to go with. But no lesbians or mixed nuts. That kind of thing happens alot. That same kid even gave up a promising career in art to go into plumbing (like every other male in the family). But yea, just my community :slight_smile: Just wanted to share that for some reason...I guess the mixed nuts story was dieing to be told.

9. littledinosaurs

That's so bizarrre! Everyone here flocked to Juno no matter what kind of pereson they were. But different areas have different experiences.

10. Étoile

My area is like Greggers. Everyone around here, especially guys, sets everything in categories based on gender. Like, two guys won't go to the movies with each other unless others are going and they won't see a certain type of movie unless a girl's with them. A guy can't say certain words, can't wear certain things, do certain stuff, like certain things, etc. This guy even said that 'a guy can't give his female friend a gift for her birthday because that's gay." :eusa_doh: What's worst is that girls agree with these behavior and will call out guys who act against them. This, in turn, makes guys try to stick to the "norm" because if girls find it unattractive, it needs to be stopped now. So much for them being the smarter sex. :confused: The hypermasculinity around here is insane.

11. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love Brent Hartinger. He wrote Geography Club, The Order of the Poison Oak and the one other book that the name I forget. But yeah it was a great series :grin: I'm glad he brought this up :grin:

12. Greggers

Yup, yup. Thats what i was getting at. Its ridiculous. Your not even allowed to like art. I got made fun of for knowing what the color "salmon" was in highschool.

Anyways, funny story, so after i came out these rules started to bend a little (at least for my group of friends) and one of the first movies i went to see with just another guy after coming out was Bruno. I saw it with my macho macho womanizing friend xD LAWL! It was sooo awkward. I have no clue why I agreed to see it with him. But he is an amazing guy and has had my back since day 1. ...but he is kind of scared of anal sex after the whole "champaine bottle" scene in Bruno i think.

13. paint

That's crazy! C'mon, it's like a Crayola and everything!:dry:

Well, I liked the article. It's hard to explain where I fall. I find myself emulating my mom a lot, because we're really close and she's awesome. The best I can come up with is tomboy. In high school I was shy (still am) so I hardly ever showed people who I was, and when I did you still couldn't tell if I was gay or not. I was just myself. So I'm effeminate but still have to come out all the time. I definitely see the pressure from both sides. I'm not quite the stereotype, but I like masculine guys (knights in shining armor!), and would want to be somewhat submissive.

14. Derek the Wolf

to be completely honest on the subject, really effeminate guys piss me off. they make gay/bi men everywhere look like wanna-be women. i know it sounds harsh and i'm sorry if your femme or find it offensive, but it makes it really hard for someone like me to be the gun-toting scary motherfucker i like to be when everyone is questioning why my wrists aren't limp and i don't have a lisp.

to be short, gay guys who perpetuate the stereotype = me angryface

15. Greggers

...and thats WHY i linked the article/made the thread :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

There is no reason to be pissed off at someone for being themselves. Hating someone for something they cant change...where have we heard of that before? Sexist? Racist? Homophobic? All things people cant change about themselves. Just like being effeminate. I totally understand why you would be angry at effeminate guys, it sucks having people assume your one way just because your gay, but you really cant ask to be accepted by the world if you're not willing to do the same.

And furthermore, if you really think about it, who is to blame for someone judging you as a limp wrist, lisped gay? Is it the gay person with a natural lisp who cannot change that fact , or is it the straight guy who met that gay person and stereotyped you because of him? Out of the two people, one made a choice and one did not. It may suck that you get stereotyped, but blame the person doing the stereotype, not the person who is just being themselves.

*and if your going to say "but not everyone who is this way is truly being themselves, for some people its an act" please read the article. It touches on all that.

#15 Greggers, Jan 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  16. starfish

It really annoys me that such a big deal is made of this. So what if you are an effeminate man, masculine woman, masculine man, or feminine woman. It doesn't change who I am am. The way I see it there are only 2 types of people in this world. Assholes and not assholes.

17. littledinosaurs

Be careful! Out-group stereotyping is more of a subconscious psychological reaction rather than them deciding that all people must be like this one person. The way we categorize things is more of an action that can't be helped. We all have to reteach ourself to get out of that mindset and usually don't do that until we encounter someone who breaks that image we have of a certain group. (Especially if that person becomes part of our ingroup!)

18. Emberstone

I dont get the lisp thing. Lisps are usually because of a physical malformation of the short palette. it has nothing to do with sexuality. I have a slight lisp on certain sounds because of shorter than normal short palette. I am gay... those two things are unconnected.

like I said earlier, I knew someone who femmed up when he thought he was gay, and he started talking with a lisp.

if you are perpetuating the stereotype because that is what you think you are suposed to do, thats wrong. but if you just happen to have always been like that mannerisemish, then your fine.

19. Derek the Wolf

These are all unjustified stances. We know racism has no basis. We can prove that very easily and it's an objective fact. The fact of the matter is, the way a person carries themselves in public IS changeable. Very much so. If it were up to me I would act like a crazy furry and I would be a lot happier. But I live and study in a professional environment and CAN'T do that. Not to mention I try to be reserved to make other furs look better, cause god knows enough of them work hard to destroy our reputation. I'm only asking of the gay community what I already do: carry yourselves with a little more concern for the image of the community.

I do accept them. That doesn't mean I have to like them. For example, if someone walks up to me and punches me in the face, I understand he's probably had a rough day, there's a lot of mitigating circumstances, and I just happened to be the unlucky one. He probably isn't that bad a guy. HOWEVER, he just punched me in the face. I can't just let that go.

You're talking in a world of ideals. We do not live in such a world.

Again, I'm trying to be professional about this. I want to avoid flaming or fighting, just trying to offer a different viewpoint.

20. Markio

I've included a quote from the original article that seems to address what you guys are talking about.