1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Perry vs. Schwarzenergger: Your Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by AlexPatrickMorrissey, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Ugh. I was reding about it on the internet last night. This trial is going to be the most important trial. Ever. Moreso than anything else. It could have some very positive or negative consequences. I was thinking about the negative consequences, and as a result, I couldn't sleep last night. This will be the trial of the century, for real.

2. Emberstone

I dont know what to think about which way it could go.

We are going to hear he same anti freedom pro religious dictatorship illogical speeches by the anti-gay lobby, and we are going to hear the same reasoned, emotionally sound, logical, and fact supported speech by pro-gay lobbyists.

if only our goverment was governed by logic... then we wouldnt need to argue equal rights in the court room.

3. touchofgrey

Can someone fill me in? What's going on with this? What's being decided?

4. NickT

Prop 8 is being put to trial, and it's going to be televised

5. Emberstone

Reason, logic, and moral decency is a hard thing to win with in these types of trials.

I am not hopeful. I would love to be, but these keeps going back and forth in california. courts side with us, voters vote against us, and we have to head back to court all over again.

even if we win, it still will be appealed.

6. NickT

I'm just scared. I don't want to think about what will happen if we lose. If we win, then I will cry tears of happiness. But what I'm really worried about is what might happen DURING the trial. I just hope security is TIGHT there.

7. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's definetly a gamble, but times like this arrive during the Civil Rights process. I imagine the majority of inter-racial couples would have had a similar unease in their stomach when Loving v Virginia was being argued, but it was still something they had to fight for regardless of the outcome.

If it does backfire then it will definetly be a setback for same-sex marriage in America, but you have a pretty strong team so just keep your fingers crossed. Either way, it's definetly something worth following. I am always trying to keep updated with LGBT issues for my Sociology course so this is going to be one of particular importance for me. ^_^

We'll soon see what happens. History has shown that the courts aren't afraid of making landmark rulings, so let's hope this is the same!

8. Shevanel

9. Emberstone

I heard that some of the defendents are not argueing against the suit.

They are merely public officals who have to uphold the law. prop 8 is the law, regardless of that it is federally unconstiutional.

This case is about the constitutionality of prop 8 more so than anything else.

the defendents are not defendents in a criminal sense as we usually view a defendent. They are merely doing what is required of them by law, which is to uphold the law.

in the end, they will likely repeat that fact on the stand.

What we want to hear is the statements by the proponants of prop 8 who will try to defend prop 8. their so called 'expert witnesses' which if the prior court battles are any evidence, will be completely incapable of reasoned, logical, fact based statements.

10. Shevanel

Hmm, I'm pretty sure I already knew that it wasn't a Criminal Trial.

11. Connor22

So who's Perry? I'm kinda lost, and what's Prop 8? (No I haven't had my head in a hole... It was a cave I'll have you know lol)

12. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The aims that the plaintiffs have is to prove that Prop 8 violates the US constitution and should be struck down. I am not all that familiar with the American justice system, but the little research I have done on the Ninth Circuit Appeals Court would suggest to me that any decisions they make would not affect other marriage bans due to them only having jurisdiction over a handful of states. It would likely be that the case would move up to the US Supreme court depending on the outcome, but should the case pass in court then ideally it would strike down Prop 8 and also give a legal precedent for other such cases to arise in other states (assuming that was the precedent set). If it was to go before the US Supreme Court then hopefully it would give a ruling that does strike down such bans in the majority of states, but that may be unlikely to happen based on other LGBT issues to go before the Supreme Court. The potential setback is having a US federal court rule that same-sex marriage is not a constitutional right, which could have serious affects for any legislators or judges who are having to decide on same-sex marriage.

The defendants have not really released any public statement about their defense (as far as I am aware), and their campaign to keep the trial from being televised would suggest it's likely we will not know until the day. You will probably see the usual routine such as people having the 'inalienable' right to vote on such a historic and defining instition, that homosexual couples cannot reproduce, and that past precedents on marriage (such as Loving v Virginia) do not apply to marriage as it still allowed marriage to remain as one man and one woman. That's mostly speculation on what the anti-gay side has used many times including in the Prop 8 appeal in California. We'll soon find out though.

That is my understanding of it anyway. I could easily be wrong as I don't know alot about the US legal system, but what I have read about the case makes the above look like the route they wish to proceed with.

(Kristin) Perry is one of the plaintiffs in the case arguing about whether or not Prop 8 is constitutional. In simple terms, prop 8 is an amendment that overruled the California Supreme Court in June 2008 when they legalised same-sex marriage. The proposed amendment to reban same-sex marriage was put on the ballot and passed by 52% in November 2008, which was known as Proposition 8. As a result, same-sex couples are arguing that taking away marriage rights from a minority is a violation of the Fourteenth Amendment which guarantees equal rights for all. The case is to determine whether marriage is an inalienable right for same-sex couples, and whether the 14th amendment extends to having such rights.

13. Emberstone

If the judge does side with the defence that prop 8 breaks the 14th ammendment of the united state's constitution which demands equal protection under the law, prop 8 would be injoined, which means it cant be enforced as it is unconstitutional.

this would only apply to california. It is not about arguing the legality of gay marriage as much as it is about arguing the unconstitutionality of any law that proports to deny gay marriage.

As for setting precedence, it would be a weak one at best. marriages are under state jurisidiction. the licenses are state and country granted, so it is not like a federal law can be passed to legalize it, as it would infringe upon the juisdiction of the state.

however, each state that has gay marriage, and protects gay marriage is one more state less in which to topple far right bullshit about how gays are ruining every aspect of soceity from the fabric of it to the econamy, like some have tried to claim.

14. HackmanWIU

If there was a Federal Amendment passed, the States would have to uphold, regardless of how they decide licensing. However, I foresee the Civil Rights Act of 1964 to be amended before a gay marriage bill goes legal on a national scale. They will most likely add sexual orientation after the long list of possible discriminatory groups. That would be more ground breaking legislation in my opinion, because that wouldn't allow discrimination in adoption, jobs, and anything that has any premise with commerce(everything).

15. Emberstone

the lawsuit is to get the 14th ammendement upheld.

but marriage is not a federal issue. it should be, but it isnt.

for people fighting against gay marriage, they now have to challange the federal constituion,which has no clauses demoting lgbt citizens to 'second class status'

16. Holmes

Emily Bazelon has a good piece on this in Slate. I can't say I'm enthusiastic about this. It seems to be that Olson and Boies want to make sure their names are mentioned in the history books, even if only as a side note if this fails. More than likely it will fail, and the judgement will only serve to give material to anti-equality campaigners in future legislative or court attempts in states in the next few years. If was then appealed all the way to the Supreme Court, there's little chance of getting 5 out of 9, and it'd be quite bad for us if any of Stevens, Breyer, Ginsburg or Sotomayor were to side against the case.

Of course, I'd be delighted to be proved wrong in my pessimism. At the very least, even if it fails to show Prop 8 to be unconstitutional, if they properly tease out issues like whether it would damage male-female marriage, it could give a nice legal standing to our arguments there.

17. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

That article says, "That's the whole gay-marriage megillah, legally speaking: It means asking a federal court to declare that the U.S. Constitution gives same-sex couples the right to marry, and no state can take it away from them." So that means that if the plaintiffs win they want the courts to declare that no state can take away marriage rights which means that all the rest of the states that have it banned have to unban it? That could get ugly.

18. Gaetan

I think it could be used as a powerful precedence, actually. Granted, it couldn't really be used at a national or federal level, but it could still be a powerful argument at the state level for anyone else challenging similar bans.

19. Emberstone

Well, for that to work, it would require a complete overhaul of the marriage and marriage benifit system.

if this wins, and gay marriages are upheld by the federal constitution, it may help towards other states getting gay marriage, but as marriage is not a federal institution, it cant be decided upon by the actions of a few states. States can still refuse/postpone ammendement of their systems for a variety of reasons, and you wouldnt have much chance to stop it.

20. 71390S

71390S Guest

I'm really nervous about it =(

----------

Marriage IS a federal institution. It has 1,380 federal rights.