1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anti-gay MP Iris Robinson stands down due to mental illness

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Pseudojim, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2009/12/29/anti-gay-mp-iris-robinson-stands-down-due-to-mental-illness/#

Iris Robinson, the Northern Ireland MP who called gays an "abomination", has announced she is standing down from politics due to depression.

Robinson, the Democratic Unionist MP for Strangford and wife of Northern Ireland's first minister, Peter Robinson, released a statement yesterday saying she could no longer meet the demands of her job.

The 60-year-old was labelled a bigot for a series of outbursts last year in which she made offensive comments about homosexuality.

In 2008, she told the Belfast Telegraph that homosexuality was "comparable" to paedophilia. She also told a radio show that homosexuality was a mental illness and could be "cured". Robinson escaped a police prosecution for the comments.

In the statement, she said: "Over the years, I have undergone a long series of operations and, though I have never talked about it publicly, I have also battled against serious bouts of depression.

"Only those who have faced similar challenges in life will know the ordeal faced by those who are profoundly depressed, and the distress caused to those around them as they grapple with personality-changing illness. One in four of the population struggle with mental illnesses at one level or another, yet few talk about it openly.

"The stress and strain of public life comes at a cost and my health has suffered. Regrettably, I have concluded, after considering the matter over Christmas and discussing it with Peter, who has always been most supportive and caring, that I can no longer maintain the high standard of service I require of myself, meet the demands of office and cope with the pressures of public life, without my health deteriorating further."

Robinson and her husband were exposed in the expenses scandal for claiming almost £600,000 a year in salaries and expenses.

The couple earned six salaries between them and employed four family members as staff, the News of the World reported.

She earned £63,291 for her position as an MP, £24,296 as an Assembly member and as chairwoman of its health and social services committee and £9,550 as a councillor for the Castlereagh borough in Northern Ireland.

Her husband was found to earn £63,291 as MP for East Belfast, £71,434 for his role as First Minister plus a third of the £43,101 salary for being an Assembly member because he is also an MP.

The Democratic Unionist Party was said to be shocked by her resignation, with close allies unaware of her plans to leave.

She is expected to leave her Assembly position soon but will probably continue as MP for Strangford until a general election.

2. Apocalypte

The Iris Robinson saga is like something from a soap, it gets funnier every day. Couldn't have happened to a better person. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Wow. Karma's a bitch, isn't it, Iris?

4. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    *knock knock* "ohh who's that?" ye it's KARMA

5. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

Wow, I don't care what she has said about gays, that is really sad that she has struggled with depression and I am surprised other people would be pleased to see her suffer.

6. Connor22

What's even better is that her husband might step down too, just one small step closer to having a government of competent non-terrorists YYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY :grin:

7. Emberstone

the mental illness of getting caught boinking a 19 year old...

the most anti-gay always turn out to be the most sexally deviant.

not to offend anyone, but who here actually would go to a airport bathroom to pick up sex?

who here would send sexually explicit emails through your companies email server to underage employees?

it always seems like the people who are most stanchly homophobic in their speeches about percieved family values are the ones most incapable of following said professed values.

8. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So she's going through depression, and amusingly enough, that's what many gay men and women go through because of comments like hers lol

9. Emberstone

I think her depression has less to do with all the unnamed operations, and more to do with getting caught cheating on her husband with some three times younger than herself.

10. Holmes

I can't see how her husband stepping down would do any good. The DUP would pick someone even more intransigent to succeed him, they'd be even less likely to deal well with Sinn Féin on matters of policing, Jim Allister's TUV could do well, and the whole thing could fall apart.

I have no personal liking for Peter Robinson or the DUP, but I do think it's best that he stays.