1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pope says gay marriage threat to creation

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Pseudojim, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE60A2XX20100111

Pope Benedict on Tuesday linked the Church's opposition to gay marriage to concern about the environment, suggesting that laws undermining "the differences between the sexes" were threats to creation.

WORLD

The pope made his comments in an address to diplomats in his yearly assessment of world events. The main theme of the address was the environment and the protection of creation.

"To carry our reflection further, we must remember that the problem of the environment is complex; one might compare it to a multifaceted prism," he said.

"Creatures differ from one another and can be protected, or endangered, in different ways, as we know from daily experience. One such attack comes from laws or proposals which, in the name of fighting discrimination, strike at the biological basis of the difference between the sexes," he said.

"I am thinking, for example, of certain countries in Europe or North and South America," he said.

This was a clear reference to legislation either enacted or proposed in several part of the world.

Last month, Mexico City became the first capital in Catholic Latin America to allow same-sex marriage.

In California, the U.S. state's ban on gay marriage goes to trial on Monday in a federal case that plaintiffs hope to take all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court and overturn bans throughout the nation.

Gay marriage is legal is several U.S. states and some European countries.

"Yet freedom cannot be absolute, since man is not God, but the image of God, God's creation. For man, the path to be taken cannot be determined by caprice or willfulness, but must rather correspond to the structure willed by the Creator," he said.

In his speech to diplomats from more than 170 countries, the pope repeated the themes of his message for the Church's World Day of Peace on January 1, which said industrialized nations must recognize their responsibility for the environmental crisis, shed their consumerism and embrace more sober lifestyles.

2. Stuie

Gay marriage has been proven to change the cosmological constant, so that the universe will stop expanding and start contracting at an almost infinite speed. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    Gay marriage is also the leading cause of global warming and loss of biodiversity.

Sorry Pope, but whatever you define creation as, gay marriage isn't going to do a lot to destroy it. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Ben

Ben

I hope the next pope is more progressive. Benedict has always been really conservative (one of the main voices against Vatican II along with John Paul II) but hopefully the next Pope will take things back to the liberal trend started by John back just before the 60's and not put off things like the ecumenical movement or use it to 'steal' priests which is really how I see Anglicanorum Coetibus. Let's just hope the next pope isn't Francis Arizne… :/

I <3 John XXIII + Paul VI

4. Pokerface

This Pope is full of sh*t. :slight_smile: Never quite liked him.

5. kettleoffish

what a fucking idiot.

6. Derek the Wolf

The church has made progress but it's really only visible in younger priests. By the time change hits the cardinals and popes... well I wouldn't cross my fingers for the next 30 years.

7. littledinosaurs

Can i just say i don't even get what he's saying... is he trying to say gays spit in the face of nature/god and that it's causing the world to go to shit?

8. Connor22

I'm sorry but I haven't heard a bigger load of horse bollocks in my life I mean... what?

9. RaeofLite

...I think the Pope is a bit creepy. Someone once compared him to Emperor Palpatine in a picture and... there is a close resemblance. :confused:

Anyway, I think he needs to assess "how" it is a threat to marriage. Has he taken a look at the world? We have almost 7 billion people on the planet--most of whom aren't gay! How are we a threat? And we have to many bloody people on the planet anyway-enough to live comfortably on six planets (according to a scientific study I read once)!

10. Holmes

Well, the dinosaurs did die once they started being gay.

11. Étoile

Can someone please tell me why we should listen to some old guy in a strange gown? I mean, he is right though. Gay marriage is causing endangered species, the ice caps to melt, hurricanes, and wildlife to die.

12. Emberstone

and priestly rape isnt?

You have to remeber this pope was a member of the hitler youth. he holds alot of beliefs the prior pope didnt.

why should his more narrowminded views be listened to?

he is nothing more than a man elected by men to perpetuate a system of power that was created, not by biblical princible, but by a desire to create deus rex; divine right to rule.

13. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

I KNOW RIGHT?! They're like identical. But the pope is an insult to my favorite Star Wars character.

He's just saying what he was taught, and regurgitating back what he is learned in. *shrug* No skin off my nose if he wants to go about what he believes as long as he isn't pushing it down other people's throats (last time I checked most people who were Catholic are so willingly). And comments that he was a member of Hitler's youth isn't really fair because I'm quite sure if most people were given the choice between joining the regime or becoming an enemy of the state a lot of people would have done the same.

14. haelmarie

Almost as golden as that time he said condoms are detrimental to the AIDS epidemic.

Seriously, does he even live in the same world as the rest of us?

15. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

He is the threat to creation...

Ah that better its off my chest.

16. Apocalypte

^ This.

17. adam88

I loved John Paul II. I call this one Darth Ratzinger. Draw your own conclusions. :grin:

18. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    +100

19. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can't say I am surprised. Interestingly enough, he is going to visit one of these certain countries in Europe (Portugal), which is on the verge of legalizing gay marriage.

20. paint

I hate that the wagon is going this direction.