1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prop 8 Trial Indefinitely Blocked from YouTube

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Revan, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry to tell everyone but according to the Mercury News website live broadcast, today at 2:25PM The Supreme Court ruled to block the Prop 8 Trial from broadcast.

2. Gaetan

I'm not surprised. Federal Courts, the Supreme Court especially, have always been very paranoid about cameras in the courtroom. Generally the higher up you go in the system, the fewer cameras are allowed.

3. Shevanel

Oh well, Too bad they fucked up :slight_smile:

4. mydogstewie

:/

...fuck.

5. Hoppip

I'm speechless. :frowning2:

6. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm finding it difficult to be too annoyed by it. It definetly sucks, but it almost seems pointless considering just how much coverage is being released from people in the courtroom. The couragecampaign is posting transcripts of everything that is going, so I am just focusing on them rather than getting annoyed by the video ban.

The videos would have made it easier, but there's still a lot of info for those who want to make the time and effort to read it all. ^_^

7. Shevanel

Videos are for the lazy ^ :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The site I got the info about the decision is also telling about what's going on too.

9. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

While I can see the benefits of filming this trial, I'm pretty against having any cameras or videocameras in a courtroom which is the way we do it in Canada. Public opinion over a specific case should not potentially affect a verdict in my opinion (obviously you can't have it perfectly like that but they should do what they can).

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think, though, that this is going to probably end up looking bad for the pro-prop 8 forces, because... if they felt like they were making the right choice, why would they want to be secretive about it?

I think a lot of moderates -- even those who might not have been that supportive at first -- are starting to realize that the anti-gay-marriage people are basically taking a "by any means necessary" approach, and that, in turn, may backfire and make the moderates more likely to be supportive.

11. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To me it's good public opinion won't play here only because the HRC put out a video once saying thank-you for support in 2009, and they showed like a graph showing HRC got 750,000 new members, whereas the NOM, and several other anti-same sex marriage and anti-gay rights groups got like over 1,100,000 members....so you could guess what would wind up happening if public opinion had a say.......

12. RaeofLite

I hope someone brings a new iNano or tiny camera into the court room... I'm sure it'll leak somehow..

13. Shevanel

That would be a little thing I call illegal xD

14. RaeofLite

Yes but I'm sure they would find a way to put it to the net and spread it across the net somehow without being able to trace the source. It happens with movies all the time... right?

And I'm not saying I would do it.. (I would feel so guilty) lol, but really. I think everyone's rights need to be heard and shown... that they are worth fighting for--ON [INTER]NATIONAL TV. :slight_smile: