1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pledge of Allegiance is False

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by mydogstewie, Jan 13, 2010.

1. mydogstewie

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The Pledge of Allegiance. Wait...what's that I see? "with liberty and justice for all"?

False.

The LGBT community gets no liberty or justice. We can't marry. That is what the pledge says. We are one nation. We are all equal.

So, next time, if asked to say the pledge, think to yourself if you are actually thinking about the exact words.

There is no justice for LGBT, in my opinion

2. mmilam75

The pledge of allegiance represents an affirmation of the highest values this country stands for. Do we always live up to it? No. Does that make it any less real? I don't believe it does, no. We recognize the words we are speaking are an affirmation of the kind of country all of us are working towards while we all understand we've got a long way to go.

3. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nothing is perfect. You have too high of expectations. This country is working towards equality for the LGBT community. Why don't you go live in a country where they still kill LGBT people and maybe you'll appreciate this country more.

4. Sicsemper79

America is certainly not perfect. Our history is full of examples of us falling short of the ideals we profess. However it is not these shortcomings to which we pledge allegiance, but the ideals. This is true among all free people. None of us can claim perfection. Frankly few of us can claim a winning record on morality, honesty, and acceptance. However good people continue to move in that direction.

The history of the US is not perfection... it is a long flawed journey in that direction. When I look at our flag or pledge my allegiance to my country that is what I am talking about. That is what I sacrificed in the name of. We believe that all men are created equal. Every day of our history as a country, we have moved in that direction. I have faith that tomorrow will be better than today and the next day better still. There are too many good people working too hard for that not to be the case. In that ideal, I do continually pledge allegiance.

5. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

I feel the same exact way, and I continually pledge allegiance as well (I take out the "under God part" because I don't believe in that). I mean I love America a lot and I'm proud to keep pledging allegiance to it in spite of its flaws.

6. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

On the Daily Show a while back (or it might have been Colbert) they did an "American Hero" bit on a young straight kid who refused to say the pledge because gay people still didn't have liberty or justice. The kid was awesome.

7. Holmes

8. 19rockr

19rockr Guest

Near Lexington, KY, by 45 miles to the east.
    I already read about that...It made me so proud for the kid, because the kid is smart enough to know what the Pledge of Allegiance really means, and how some of our leaders continue to ignore what "Liberty and justice FOR ALL" means, and chooses to look at it as "Liberty and Justice FOR HETEROSEXUALS ONLY"...At least not all people are against the LGBT Community.

9. Bevo

The American pledge of allegiance expresses the loyalty to the constitution as created by the Founding fathers of the United States: Adams, Franklin, Jefferson, Washington etc. It embodies the loyalty to ones nation and an optimism that emerged from the American revolution that all should be equal and free. Of course today many inequalities remain but instead of just regurgitating the same "I hate the hypocricy etc. etc...." think about how far America has come as a nation since the early days of the revolutuion and how far it has yet to go.

I think that is a better assessment of those symbolic words anyway.

10. olides84

That was a good article! Something always bugged me about the pledge, and not just the Under God part that was added in the 50's. Allegiance seemed like ownership--like the nation owned me, controlled my actions--I would do whatever it said.

The article linked above talked about a true 'Citizens Pledge.' Much more in line with the principles of the USA.
    That is MUCH better!

11. I'm anti-government in general, but the Constituition is certainly not flawed. It's the interpretations that are fucked. I might not be in a country where people would legally execute me, but that doesn't mean that I have to have any respect for it at all. Because I don't. At all. I'm also an atheist, so even if I did believe in this stupid pledge, I wouldn't say "Under God".

12. Sylver

Don't be too hard on your country. I'm from Canada, and I can tell you that we and much of the rest of the modern world owe a lot to the great beacon of America and the ideals for which it stands. That pledge may be flawed and putting it into practice may be a work in progress, but it represents an ideal, a standard against which injustice can be measured. Without it, you have repressive countries where tyrants get away with murder (literally) and where discrimination against homosexuals can be a matter of life and death. I, for one, am glad that I'm not holed up somewhere in Iran right now having this conversation in fear for my life.

I've been reading a lot about the history of world governance in the mid to late 1800's, and what has really surprised me is just how much of today's freedom we take for granted in countries like the US and Canada. That pledge of allegiance along with all the values America stands for is responsible for how far your country has evolved from a time when dictators and despots around the world ruled at will, discriminating and slaughtering without any accountability.

I would say to you that when you recite the pledge of allegiance, think of how far it has brought America towards those ideals it speaks of. Then pledge to become active in making up that gap that remains to true equality.

13. s5m1

Well said!

14. Gin Uh Fur

Gin Uh Fur Guest

this. except i dont love America. we are not a nation under god. im one of those people that say the pledge should be moved from schools. and the OP is somewhat right we dont have the same justice as other and thats another reason i dont like the pledge.

15. xCrazyInsanity

Freedom of speach says I can't be forced to say the pledge in school
    Seperation of Church and State says that the "Under God" section cannot be in the pledge.

I can be suspended in my school for not saying it, and it still prays to God.

Country's fucked up

16. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

There is no justice or liberty for the GLBT community?

That is also a false statement because it is far too broad and overreaching. Sure there is liberty and justice, just not perfect liberty and justice. That being said, it is not perfect for many, many people outside of the GLBT community. Always has been, always will be. The idea though is that it's a work-in-progress. This is why we have checks and balances, the ability to amend the Constitution, the legislative branch to protect the will of the people and the courts to protect the rights of the minority. It works, and given time, it will work for the GLBT community.

17. Sicsemper79

I understand that. I respect your right to not like your country. I am really not one of those "love it or leave it" types... but this country has done wonderful things for this world. We continually stand in the face of tyranny and fight against it. Sweetie, I assure you I know exactly how imperfect we are. I am gay and grew up being told I should hate myself. I have buried close friends who died in a war we shouldn't be in. The goddamn war nearly killed me once or twice. But when I look around this country, I don't see our government. I don't see discrimination or small mindedness. I see the greatest society the world has ever seen. I see MILLIONS of free men and women making their lives, loving their kids, and each day being better to each other than they were the day before.

I say if you don't love that, then perhaps your anger is misplaced. Perhaps you should take a hard look in the mirror.

18. starfish

I disagree with this statement. I am a gay man living in the United States. I can choose what food I want to eat, I can choose what religion I am, I can choose what car I drive, I can choose my career, I can be in a long term committed relationship should I choose. I can choose I live most aspects of my life.

If I am wronged there are options. Tort law provides remedies for civil wrongs. The state can bring a criminal charges if the matter is criminal. The courts can even provide remedies for contract disputes.

So even though I am gay I have liberty and justice.

19. carrie90

Originally Montana but currently San Fransisco
    While I do believe in equality for all I will NEVER not say the pledge of allegiance

Granted we arn't a perfect nation of complete unity and equality for all but we are in a country where we arn't exectued for our sexuality or punished by law anymore like some countrys

If all those people/soldiers in the 1950's who were arrested,beaten,discharged and made out to be sexual perverts could stand up and say the pledge of allegiance or fight for America then I see no reason why we can't say it, it's about a sign of respect for the founding fathers and in my opinion all the other American's like Harvey Milk and ordinary people who have faught and still fight today to make America a better country.

(sorry for the mini rant I'm just passionate about my country)

#19 carrie90, Jan 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2010