1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newsweek Article - The Conservative Case for Gay Marriage

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by beckyg, Jan 13, 2010.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
  2. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

Interesting. If only most conservatives saw it that way.

3. mmilam75

More and more conservatives are seeing it that way. I was at a meeting last night with some folks who echoed a lot of the same themes that we see here. It may take a while, but we're slowly moving in the right direction.

4. Bevo

I couldn't agree more. I am a conservative and I see it that way. In Australia Gay marriage is opposed by both sides of politics but they say they are removing discrimination in other ways. Sure thats good but removing discimination one way and supporting it in another is grossly hypocritical. The main argument of 'Tradition' against gay marriage is so ridiculous, I believe another word for tradition used in the context of supporting hatred and discrimination is "Bigotry".

5. The Republican party didn't used to be about family values. I think they just picked it up when the Demmies got all the civil liberties activists. The two parties are just meant to oppose each other. That's how they get the swing voters.

This will be an interesting decade in terms of gay rights in the US. To win back some swing voters, Republicans may have to start showing support for gay rights. Then again, there are plenty of people with shitloads of money who don't want to see gays getting married. We'll see.

6. Emberstone

it should be noted that these values are still held by the libritarians. I want to write a thank you letter to ron paul, because he is helping to promote libritarianisem, even though he technically is a registered republican. He was the most interesting republican presidential primaries in 08, because he was the only true conservative in the historical sense. He was the only one in the party that was truly pulling a large moderate base in.

Olson, the lawyer arguing for gay marriage is a long time libritarian, which is why he is making this case for gay marriage; he views civil liberties as important.

lincoln would be proud... seeing as he has little to be proud of in the party that shares its name with his, but shares none of he values.