1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's pledge our help to Haiti

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Sylver, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Sylver

Like many of you I'm horrified by what I'm seeing and hearing about the disaster in Haiti. As just one example, yesterday I saw a story about a teenager in Port Au Prince who had been babysitting a little girl while her parents were out shopping. Unfortunately during the earthquake the mall collapsed on them and they were killed. Now the teen was suddenly left caring for the child, not knowing any of her other relatives, not knowing how to get food and water, and not knowing anything more about caring for children than babysitting. He was emotionally overwhelmed, and it was hard to watch.

I feel helpless to do anything as just one person, but I can see that individuals are making a difference. For example people are texting $10 donations and have now raised more than $7 million in just 2 days.

I want to start a campaign to have the gay community contribute what it can to help these people in desperate need. Whatever each of us can give, no matter how big or small, it will add up. Here's a list of recommended charities from CNN;

www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/01/13/haiti.earthquake.how.to.help/index.html

I believe in leading by example. Let's show the world that the gay community cares about our brothers and sisters in need around the world. Let's show them the real "gay agenda".

This morning I donated $500 to the Red Cross.

Make whatver donation you can to help the people in Haiti, then tell us about it in this thread. Remember, everything helps.

2. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

The following website has a list of the top charities to donate to (ranked concerning how efficiently they use money, how much there CEO makes, etc.) and it includes a brief summary about how each charity works.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=content.view&cpid=1004

The Red Cross isn't your only option, and while it is definitely a good one, I suggest that anyone who wants to donate check out this site to learn more about what their options are.

3. x2x2x2x2y2

I just donated $10. I really hope the best for everyone in Haiti.