1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Come?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by mydogstewie, Jan 20, 2010.

1. mydogstewie

Why is being gay such a huge deal in society?

Why can't I go to school and not be known as "the bi kid"?

That is my question...
    Why is it such a big deal?

2. s5m1

Good question. Kinda sucks but that is the way it is. While we can’t change how others view us, we can change how we feel about it. Yeah, I am gay. So what? The real issue for many of us is that we feel being gay is somehow a bad thing. If we felt comfortable with who we were, we would not look to how others view us to determine our own self worth. I think that is what we really need to focus on.

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's because despite people like to pretend they are unique, the fact is everyone conforms to the norm, and homosexuality is not seen as the norm. Since we're such a small part of the population we're discriminated against. And without trying to offend you bud, bisexuality is seen even more against the norm because people see it as though you "can't decide". The funny thing is, if going by Kinsey's scale and just by what I've seen, 80% of the freaking population is to some degree bisexual. They may never try anything with the same sex, but they want to either consciously or subconsciously.

So the fact people treat both as not the norm is because 1. They're scared that someone is out with their feelings whereas they have the same feelings possibly and thus they think they'd be forced out some how. And 2. Because by teasing others who "fall against the norm", they're able to prevent others from figuring them out.

It's life and you just need to live it. Maybe some day we'll be accepted, but for now, we just gotta live it.

4. Sicsemper79

I am not sure I can answer why its such a big deal... but I will tell you this much, times are getting better. It may never not be noteworthy, but being known as the bi kid and that being ok is a hell of a lot better than being known as the faggot and having it not be ok.

Also, you are coming to terms with all this earlier than a lot of other people. There are more... the more that come out, the less noteworthy it will become.

5. Sylver

I love your question, and even more I love the fact that you're asking it because it shows just how far we've come. It wasn't too long ago that you wouldn't have been known as anything in school beacuse you would have been too shit scared to let anyone know you were gay/bi. There was a time when coming out wasn't merely a big deal, it was a life or death decision. So strangely, your question gives me hope that with each new generation, homosexuality is being perceived as less and less of a deviation from "normal" by more and more people. We've come a long way from your parents' day, or their parents' day.