1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How's your city's "gay environment"?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Sylver, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Sylver

I live in Winnipeg, a city of just under a million people in the middle of Canada. It's a pretty isolated city, with no other major cities nearby (for example a 7 hour drive to Minneapolis).

It does get cold here in winter, but this is a very good city when it comes to accepting homosexuals. Winnipeg was the first major city in the world to elect an openly gay mayor (Glen Murray, twice) and his homosexuality wasn't much of an issue in the elections (except with the vocal Catholic bishops, and they LOST). Gay marriage is the norm in Canada and here too, and it's so well established into the mainstream that a politician is more likely to lose an election by opposing it than by supporting it. So gay marriage is here to stay in Canada.

It's a safe city to be gay in. You can often see two guys or girls holding hands walking down the street and nobody really makes a big deal of it. The last "gay bashing" crime was more than 30 years ago, and if it ever happened again it would cause a public outcry. They're building the new Canadian Human Rights Museum downtown, and it will have a major section dedicated to the gay rights cause.

This city has at least 2 established and popular gay bars. I'm not much for clubbing so I've never been to them, but I hear they are high caliber. Unfortunately, if you're not into clubbing, it can be a little challenging to meet other gay people here because of a lack of other venues (e.g. gay singles organizations).

It's also a safe place for gay teens. Pretty much all of the high schools here have GSAs, and the major university has a strong LGBT association. There are at least a couple of active LGBT resource organizations.

All in all, this is a good city for coming out in. You may have to get over personal hurdles with your friends and your family, but you won't have to be afraid of being openly gay here.

Now the rural areas outside of the city are a whole other thing. Homophobia is rampant in the smaller farm towns around the city, and there's a lot of evangelical "bible belt" mentality. I wouldn't want to be a gay teen growing up outside of the city. Luckily it's natural for most kids to move into "the city" to go to university or to look for opportunities, so gay kids can get into a bettter environment after high school.

How is your city for accepting homosexuality? Is it a positive and safe environment for coming out and for living out in the open?

2. Connor22

The nearest city to me is Armagh, a catholic city with many many cathedrals. Being gay is not an option if you value your face/life.

3. EM68

I live outside of Boston. I have had no problems living as a gay person here. About 5 minutes down the street is a gay bar. I have not been there but a few gays friends have gone and said its pretty fun. I can drive about 30 minutes and I get into Boston. There are a bunch of gay bars, cafés and bookstores. You can walk around a good potion of the city and Cambridge the city next to Boston holding hands and being yourself without much trouble.

I've gone out to dinner with my bf without anyone saying anything to us. If people are observant they can tell that we are a couple and so far so good. Now if people at my job were more accepting of gay people. :dry:

4. tokwa

Hostile.

5. Jim1454

I live in the city of Newmarket, which is about 40km north of Toronto. There really isn't a 'gay environment' to speak of. But my bf and I feel comfortable being out shopping or out at dinner together. We aren't 'in your face' about the fact that we're a couple.

When we really want to be 'in our element' with respect to our orientation then we make a trip into Toronto and hang out in 'the village' - a street just east of the downtown core that is openly gay. It's expected that you're gay if you're there, which is cool.

But generally, the Toronto area is pretty gay friendly. I'm very happy to live here.

6. Zume

I live in Silver Springs..also known as "Jackrabbit Junction" ..it's a four-corner town in the middle of nowhere.. 1/2 an hour drive from anywhere.. it is redneck central :tears:.. people really aren't that accepting of gays so I try not to beat the fact into them that I am gay..I just act like myself.

7. haelmarie

Seconded. I believe we're going to be hosting World Pride 2014? (I think that's it)

The municipal government is also very friendly on gay issues.

8. Techcompu2

Idk about the entire city, but my school supposedly has the most gay people in the county. if this is true, I have been missing something

9. I have heard from people that my neck of the woods is very gay friendly. I'm not out at all as you all know but I know I'm gay. I have no concerns in my upcoming adventures. I know of many gay bars/clubs and have never witnessed any bad things happening to gay and lesbian couples. Basically my impression of the attitude throughout the Twin Cities is "Your gay? So what."

Minnesota tends to be very liberal. It's kinda like the San Francisco of the Midwest. During presidential elections Minnesota is always a blue state on the map. One downfall is that it is also the blue state on the weather map during winter.

If you ever visit the Twin Cities you have nothing to worry about. Outside of the metro you might encounter problems but most "hicks" are still liberal. There are the crazy bible folk also which is evident with all the anti abortion billboards.

I can give a better idea of the true nature once I start living an open life but from what I know there is a good environment here.

10. Ive heard we have a nice gay community in south beach, I aint never seen it though.

11. xander391

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Nonexistent lol.

12. paint

I think North-West side of downtown Dallas is where it's at. "Cedar Hills" ? I think I was close to the area when I went to YouthFirst, which was a wonderful place for LGBT teens to escape and see other people in the community. That's a just south-est of me, I'm in the north. My community college has a GSA :grin:

Originally, I'm from Houston, though. Which means Montrose. Never been there, but I know they have a sworn enemy. A gang that's called Crazy Crew. I thought they were probably old news, but last I heard they're functional. They sometimes lead attacks on the community. :frowning2:

Of course we've got a mayor on our side.

13. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well...St. Thomas is okay if you're not strutting yourself like it's a catwalk. There hasn't necessarily been gay bashings that I know of, but a guy I know did get threatened at knife point for his wallet, but this guy was obviously gay too so I'm not sure it was just for his wallet...You definitely won't see a gay mayor here, but they are trying to start a St. Thomas GSA for high schoolers and I guess maybe college students, and they've got a St. Thomas GSA for like...those who are older. But either case, it is still pretty closeted. Probably the most gay stuff that happens in St. T is cruising >_> which pisses me off.

14. RaeofLite

I live in the South Okanagan... It's pretty conservative for the most part. But the North Okanagan has some gay events and dances every few months.

I've walked down the street holding my girlfriend (ex now)'s hand and we've gotten some pretty interesting stares ranging from: "Cool", to "wtf", to "I really look like I wanna bash your face in", to mild curiousity. The city I'm in now doesn't really have much... other than some pride flags on the college campus or counselling centres and I've met a few LGBT people in the area online or through friends.

15. Apocalypte

Probably the best place in Ireland to be gay, but that's not saying an awful lot.

16. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Denver is a surprisingly welcoming and varied place. Very accepting and there's plenty to do.

Lex

17. Phantasma

I never knew my own city was so accepting..

18. Adam

My city isn't too bad that I know of accepting wise, but all we have is 1 gay bar.

19. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I also forgot to say, I've seen two girls walking down the street holding hands. And I SWEAR I saw two preteens walking down the street, their arms around each others lower backs. That was interesting. But seriously, if two guys were to walk down, they'd....probably get beaten up. Once again, stupid double standard...
    Oh and our city is a church town though....seriously there are churches on every block, its annoying...

20. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The area where I live, is very accepting. There are quite a few LGBT events and get togethers. Most of the establishments in downtown are LGBT friendly.