1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reported Prof Who Said "I can change someone's sexuality"

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Swamp56, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

I had an adjunct psych professor last semester who decided to spend a portion of a class telling us how he can change someone's sexuality with intense therapy over the course of one year.

I wasn't too pleased when he did this; it has no empirical backing, and has been banned in practice by the American Psychological Association.

So I went to a full-time professor I know well and told her I wanted to report a professor. She had me close her office door and I told her what he had said. Immediatly I could see that she was concerned with what he had done. She said it was innapropriate, and that he would be "spoken to" and told not to say things like that. She wrote notes and said that she would speak with the chairwoman of the psych department.

One of the reasons I did this was because students are very vulnerable to the information that they receive from so-called "professors" and "teachers". They will believe what one says, even if it has no actual supported proof because we are told and taught that teachers and professors are trained in their field.

What scares the hell out of me is that this adjunt professor has a private therapy practice.

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was curious, did you also post this somewhere else on EC? This thread reminds me of another thread about the same sort of prof.

3. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

I wrote a thread about him asking what people thought of his views on the ability to change someone's sexuality.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Chris, that's a bold and important step. Congrats for taking it... I think a lot of students are afraid to stand up to their professors for all the reasons you stated.

I had a friend in his early 20s struggling to accept his sexuality while simultaneously battling a serious drug addiction, and his parents insisted on sending him to a Christian therapist (but she was a licensed psychologist.) After the 2nd session, she told him that there was basically no hope for him, that he was stuck and would never be well unless he accepted healing from Jesus Christ.

He was vulnerable enough that he almost believed her -- and would have gone out and ODed if I and his boyfriend hadn't convinced him that the therapist was full of shit.

Sadly, this woman is still practicing. It's gross malpractice and a violation of her ethical standards under California law... but people like her (and your professor) are, in my book, just dumbasses. They are in a scientific field, but refuse to look at scientific data that contradicts their beliefs.

Hopefully your actions will have some meaningful effect.

5. Sylver

You totally did the right thing - kudos for standing up for others, because it's potentially a lot of people who could be hurt with this kind of misinformation, gay and straight. I feel so sorry for all those questioning LGBT people who are lured in by the promise of a "silver bullet" offering a quick way out of their difficult situation. What it delivers instead is additional guilt, self-repression and an unnecessary delaying of the inevitable.

I attended a presentation by Dan Savage today and he went into a tirade on this so-called "reparative therapy". To paraphrase him, this is paramount to killing gays, either by driving them to commit suicide or by encouraging and sanctioning the killing of gays by radical homophobes. I couldn't agree with him more, this idea is TOXIC to us and to all humanity. I hope they post his rant on YouTube because it's worth watching.