1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally a positive mainstream media article!

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Sylver, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Sylver

I saw this article today linked from CNN's main news website (it's on Parenting.com);

Could Your Child Be Gay?

There's been lots of negative anti-gay articles about Prop 8 and other stuff around lately, so I wanted to share a positive article. The more people who see, read and believe articles like this, the less power the nut-jobs will carry with their hate-filled messages.

2. Sicsemper79

Its a nice article, but a bit stereotypical. Also, I really don't think parents need to get all caught up on whether or not their 8 year old is gay... There is no way to know about an 8 year old. Only the individual in question is qualified to discuss their own sexuality, and no 8 year old, gay or straight, is going to have it figured out.

I know I fit absolutely none of those stereotypes. I didn't play with dolls or avoid violent games. I didn't dress up like a girl or anything like that. I was the captain of my hs football team. However, I assure you I am gay... I was a gay kid, but there was no way to know before I hit about 13 and started really figuring out that I was different (and even then, i don't think i could have spelled it out).

I believe this kind of overbearing parenting is harmful. Even in this modern world where moms and dads aren't supposed to make homophobic comments and cheer when little Billy wants to play with Barbie Dolls, there are some things kids just need to work out on their own... their sexual orientation is one of these.

I am not saying all of the points are incorrect, but there has got to be some middle ground between my dad making "faggot" jokes and telling me that gay people are terrible shameful individuals and sitting down with your pubescent son and explaining that you think he's gay (or even hinting at it).

3. Shevanel

2-4% ?! Bullfucking shit. xD I seriously wonder where people get these numbers from. It's way way way higher.

4. RaeofLite

I agree SurferDude... Holy. If 10-15% of the population is LGBT, you'd think it's more like 5-8 or more % of that. Otherwise it seems like it was a "choice" for some people. Which... it may be, but it sure isn't hell a choice for me and most of the LGBT people I've talked to.

...but at least the site is "trying" I guess.. and the ending did wrap it up nicely with positive ways to show that being gay is ok.

#4 RaeofLite, Jan 26, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  5. Sylver

I can see your guys points. Some of this is pretty stereotypical, and I don't agree with their base statistics (although I wish there were more reliable statistics). I thought the value in this article was how it was speaking to the straight parents' point of view, not ours. The end message is that even if you can't accept your child coming out as gay (or questioning) right now, you still have an obligation as a parent to love them and show support and try to understand. It's a simple message but it's often overlooked, and I think it would make coming out easier if all parents of LGBT kids took it to heart, regardless of their beliefs, opinions, predispositions, etc.

6. NickT

Yeah guys, the reason it's being stereotypical is because many parents who have no experience in this will assume with stereotypes. As for their stats, I think the statistic really was about 4-8% rather than 2 or 10%. Of course, this isn't accounting for closetcases or those who are questioning. It's hard to put a definite number on the gay population.

7. Sylver

This article will never live up to the excellent standards set by PFLAG for example, who are brilliant in dealing with coming out issues between parents and children. But let's be honest, I'll bet almost no parents of kids who are still locked away in their closets have ever even heard of PFLAG. It's a great resource for parents once their kids have already come out, but it doesn't (and can't) help parents prepare for the reality that 1 in 10 kids will be gay or lesbian and how they should handle it WHEN the child comes out.

But... lots of parents read stuff like Parenting.com. Yes, they may not have covered the issue with as much grace or tact as PFLAG would, but this is mainstream media - or more specifically it's straight media, so it's reaching a wide swath of parents long before they have to deal with a child that's coming out. Parents need to hear this stuff beforehand, so that they are prepared to offer their unconditional love and support to their children if and when they come out. It's tough enough on a kid already to have to come out to his/her parents, but it's so much more difficult if the parents are unprepared and react badly.

I also think it's important for parents to know the consequences of their reactions beforehand. Let me put it this way, if you were a parent and you knew that, should your child discover that he or she is gay/lesbian, your reaction could actually influence the odds that they may commit suicide, wouldn't you possibly adjust your reaction regardless of how you feel inside? Even the most ignorant parents don't want to be responsible for the death of their child.

We often ask the straight world to "walk a mile in our shoes" so that they can understand what we go through. But we also need to practice what we preach. By putting ourselves in the shoes of uninformed parents who could possibly react inappropriately when their child comes out to them, we may realize the value of integrating these kinds of messages into mainstream parenting resources. It's blunt - "Your little boy or girl has a 10% chance of being gay/lesbian, and how you react to this will have a lasting impact on the rest of their lives." I'd say it should be in every textbook on parenting, but stupidly I don't think such things even exist (another topic for another day :angry:).

8. Sicsemper79

My only point was that I think it is a mistake for overbearing mothers (the type who read parenting magazines) to start assuming that their 8 year old is straight because he plays war and likes his GI Joes or that he's gay because he plays dress up with his sister. Huge amounts of gay kids don't fit that stereotype.

On top of that, I think it is wrong for parents to make their kids (especially young teens) start dealing with their sexuality too early. Yes, make it clear that you have a open mind and an open heart for people of all types, but jeez... leave the kid alone and let him or her figure out what they like.

9. darkestknight

Pretty stereotypical article. I played many computer games, enough for people to know that I'm über-straight. I played many toys too, but girls' ones - just for a few times.

Yet, I'm still gay. I have no problems with myself. :grin:

10. Dan82

4% is the percentage that exit polls typically show; agree the actual number is higher.

11. Jonah 4

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Re: We should turn this into a thread...

A supportive article threat(ala supportive videos). I know I always like going over there when I'm down. It might be nice to have a positive thread to counter all the negativity in the world.

12. xCrazyInsanity

More or less OK, but... A few comments on rather sterotypical/slightly offencive comments.

""We don't have a lot of data on what kids do and don't do sexually," says Pluhar. "

Well no shit Sherlock...

"The official psychological term for these types of behaviors is "gender nonconformity.""
    Er.. And this is bad?

"Girls who seem to prefer "boy" things, however, are not as likely to turn out to be gay."

*facepalm* because girls are allowed to be stronger, thanks to womens rights movement.
    young boys are still beaten down by their parents if they show any signs of feminimity.

"She's only 11 or 12, and that's too young for her to be dating anyone, male or female. There's no doubt you're with the vast majority of parents there. But if she's thinking about girls, and you're having issues with that, it's a good idea to reach out to others who can help you connect with her."

No, if you have issues with that you need to get the fuck over yourself.

"Leave age-appropriate books on gender or sexuality where your child can find them if you suspect he wants or could benefit from information."

Er... The 'youngest' age-appropriate lgb books are intended 12+, they can go to the library for that

" If she wants to cut her hair short and pass as a boy, fine, but be aware that next week she might change her mind."
    WTF does hair have to do with anything, and "pass" isn't talking about sexuality, dimwit. Not in that context anyway...

Tell him or her outright, "I'll love you every bit as much no matter what you are,"

This statement comes with a * on it for most parents...

Anywhoooooo... it's nice to see a less "OMG YOUR CHILD IS GOING TO HELL" article.