1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trooper's Partner May Not Get Benefits

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by s5m1, Jan 31, 2010.

1. s5m1

2. olides84

I think this story was posted about before, but this is a much more complete article. Very tragic, but also very typical of what can happen without legal recognition of same sex couples and why the fight is so important.

Also isn't it interesting that the only major benefit his partner could get would come from the Federal government, which while it has DOMA on the books, also recognizes legal domestic partners as beneficiaries :confused:

3. RaeofLite

But the point is... they were together for 15 years... and they PROBABLY would have been married if it had been legal. God... when will people learn?! We need rights just as heterosexual couples have them.

4. Brad

I thought the same thing when i read that part. Saying it isn't sexual orientation based discrimination because straight couples that weren't married wouldn't get it either is a flawed argument when the discrimination is that SSA couples aren't allowed to get married to give them these entitlements.

5. Ralivar

I think what shocks me most about this article is not that he doesn't get the money, but that nowhere in the official report or the obituary that he had a partner.

I think that the lack of recognition would hurt much more than the lack of money would.

6. Zume

It's incredible that he was recognised as gay but his partner was not spoken of at all.

Naturally I feel bad about all of this but I can't even begin imagine how this must feel..and I honestly hope that I never have to know how it feels :icon_sad:

7. egnvectr

egnvectr Guest

the comments posted below that article are pretty scary

8. xCrazyInsanity

This is why we need marriage.

Some people have respect, at least

9. Just Adam

this has just made me sad for the day :frowning2: the thought losing the person youved loved for 15 years then being told you've no rights to of being with the person. those 15 years count as much as straight couple being together a day. :frowning2: people thinking this is allright makes sick of humanity.

10. Dtownandrew

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No, they're very scary.

11. Étoile

It's amazing how sure and confident the commenters against gay marriage are and back themselves up with either "God's word" or "because it's tradition." Some even believe America's a "Christian" nation. These comments make me lose hope for the American people. :icon_sad: