1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobic culture in the military?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Sylver, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Sylver

I'm getting frustrated watching the growing debate in the states about repealing Don't Ask Don't Tell. It looks like the "big announcement" today is going to be nothing more than a 1 year delay for the military to "study" the issue and come up with "recommendations". Seriously, how much study does this need?

I was watching some of the bigwig generals making ignorant comments like "segregating showers", and "doing this in a way that doesn't hurt morale". Sorry, but these sound like coded words for bigotry. What I'm really hearing them say is "We don't like the idea of gays in the military, period". The statements they're making would sound absurd in mainstream society. Even your average hick knows that sitting next to a gay person in class won't increase your chances of being butt-raped, and showering with gays after sports doesn't automatically turn into a homo-fantasy circle jerk.

So why can the military establishment get away with saying things like this? Is it because homophobia is more prevalent in the military ranks than in the civilian population? Or is it just more entrenched at the higher levels and that's why we hear it?

I'm glad this issue is getting media coverage right now because it's exposing a rottenness within the core of the military that needs to be removed.

/rant

(BTW, I'm Canadian and gays are allowed to serve openly in our military - and it works just fine, thank you very much - zero butt-rapes to date!)

2. Gaetan

From what I have seen of the debates in America, it is not about logic in any sense of the word. Our military is fighting two major wars, plus several brushfire wars around the world. We need every soldier we can get. Logical to admit every willing man and woman, right? Of course. Yet there's still discrimination.

Is there any real difference with straight and gay people besides the obvious? Logically, no. But there's still discrimination.

In America, probably because we're so "free" minded, people tend to become firm in their beliefs. It is very hard to change opinions on almost anything. Homosexuality, unfortunately, is one of those things.

I'm guessing it will not be repealed this year. However, I imagine they will "test the waters" and stop ordering discharges if it is revealed.

3. Fuck DADT and anyone who supports it. I'm so tired of having to hide who I am just to please others. No one should ever have to make a compromise as unnecessary. It's really funny that the macho motherfuckers who defend the "freedom" of this country don't even believe in equal rights for all tax-paying citizens. The sad thing is, the Constitution itself is perfect just the way it was written. It's the fucking interpretations of it that don't make any sense. They take shit way out of context. Oh, and there should be a limit on how long you can be a Senator. How about 8 years? Some of these right-wing assholes have held their seats for decades. Fire them and make some fucking progress.

4. Sylver

You know, I need to correct myself here - gays are encouraged to serve openly in our military. I don't want to make it sound like it's something that's just tolerated - it is welcomed. That's what pisses me off so much about the American debate - it's an argument about permissible levels of bigotry, not about righting a wrong.

5. The Paradigm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to the Land of the Not So Free.

Maybe with the census, things will change and more funding may be spent on LGBTQ items. Anybody else hoping that or standing up to have their voice counted? :help:

6. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Aside from the obvious bigotry, this is the biggest reason why this policy makes my blood boil. And of course, they also stress how few Arabic translators there are... this is after they've fired 40-50 of them because of their sexual orientation.

They want to bitch about not enough people enlisting and they have a disgusting, discriminatory policy like this. They can't have it both ways.

7. The Paradigm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agreed. And now they try using that horribly blatant propaganda in movie theaters like "Citizen Soilder," and Kid Rock's new song using US Service members to glorify the harsh realities of war. They make it seem like we go in and kick ass, and that everyone makes it out okay. Now that sickens me. All the while continuing on in the name of freedom under the guise of the silent tyranny known as righteous injustice. :dry:

8. eXaphania

eXaphania Guest

On a lighter note, there is a comic strip that I've reread recently that illustrates this http://threepanelsoul.com/view.php?date=2007-05-30

9. Connor22

I'm looking to join the Royal Navy, does anyone know if this is the same in the UK?

10. Dan82

I think the idea of the study is so to make sure that there or experts to testify at a congressional committee that favor repeal. One of the problems in 1993 was that the military leadership was universal opposed to repeal and many congressmen weren’t willing to vote against the wishes of the military leadership. Having experts who favor repeal will give congressmen cover when they vote in favor of repeal. Congress wasn’t going to repeal this during an election year anyway.

I don’t have any firsthand experience but my understand is that attitudes vary from unit to unit and that the leadership is worse than people lower down due to the fact that leadership is older

11. prester

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    @connor22
    All three British armed forces encourage gay enlistment. And I mean encourage - they have gone from not allowing members anywhere near a gay pride march, to setting up recruitment stands and having people in uniform marching in the parade.

Should the American armed forces need information on how to "integrate" us I am sure that the British Generals and Admirals and Air Marshals will have a report somewhere.

The January issue of Attitude had a five page spread celebrating ten years since the ban was lifted (January Attitude cover pic of Elliott Tittensor)

I've just re-read part of the article - "every NATO country bar Turkey and the United States accepts ...gay personnel."

Cheers
    Prester

12. olides84

Exactly! What's all this about segregating showers, worrying about unit cohesion, etc. First of all, gays are already serving, just not so openly. Second, this is no issue in any other military around the west, or any other organization full stop. Fuck, my straight friends don't go screaming out of the showers when I go in there after doing sport. The USA homophobic culture is so pathetic.

13. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

It's the same thing with The Red Cross. The have the audacity to go around begging people to donate blood because of blood shortages but gay blood isn't good enough. It's the same thing with DADT. I mean if you want to discriminate, I can't really stop you but don't have the nerve to go around and complain that you have shortages in these areas and that you'll take all you can get-whether it be blood or service members-when you really won't. And it's even worse because they know as well as we do that the solution to their bitching is staring them right in the face and they're willingly looking in the other direction.

14. the ry guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    no its just the bigwigs mostly, the guys who've been in for 30+ years. I've heard and seen more homoerotic behavior/stuff in a day that would any gay bar to shame

15. Brad

The older generals and people higher up the ranks are most likely extremely stubborn and set in the old ways and are in no hurry to change.

Here in Australia we allow people of any sexual orientation to serve in the military. While i can not state first hand as i have never served (underage) from what i have heard from gay Australian servicemen is that when on the job sexuality doesn't even play a slight role so nobody cares.

#15 Brad, Feb 3, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  16. Emberstone

unless you are gay, black, hispanic, have a vagina, muslim, jewish, agnostic, athieistic, educated, democrat, asian, etc.

On the census. I wonder if the reason why the right is so against there being a census is because they dont want funding to be spent on lgbtq.