1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pope Benedict attacks government over Equality Bill

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by kettleoffish, Feb 2, 2010.

1. kettleoffish

Thoughts?

2. Gaetan

3. Phantasma

All I saw when I read the thread title was "Pope Benedict attacks equality."

4. adam88

The link preview on the main page simply read "Pope Benedict attacks..." :rolleyes:

RUN AWAY! :roflmao:

5. RaeofLite

I've seen that picture and it just gets me every time. I wonder if he's seen it..

"The Evil Menace"
    "Attack of the Vatican"
    "Revenge of the Satan"
    "A New Pope"
    "The Pope Strikes Back"
    "Return of the Church"

6. The Paradigm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gaeton and Rae, you both are awesome.

7. Sylver

That's exactly what I saw too!! My first thought was to run for cover! It's the eyes, the EYES!!

8. Connor22

I just hope for his sakes that he doesn't come over here, mainly because every single protestant terrorist group WILL try and blow him up. al I'm gonna say about this is that if the pope is against equality and people loving whom they love, then he's not a very good pope, sorry if that offends anyone

9. Gaetan

A Catholic friend of mine remarked when Benedict was selected: "He's not my Pope!"

10. Ben

Ben

I agree. Benedict fails compared to John Paul (II). John Paul fails epically when compared to Paul VI and John XXIII (who I would marry if I could, because they win).
    *Hopes for a more progressive Pope when Benedict pops his papal tiara*

11. KittyBoy

You, my friend, are amazing!:roflmao::roflmao: I read that and I couldn't stop laughing!:lol: I feel like making posters of this and start spreading it around Sydney!

12. Emberstone

the catholic hierarcy has always been a corrupt joke...

no offence, but history repeatedly proves as much.

jesus was not about condemnation... and the old farts in faggy robes who claim ownership of his church need to stop saying otherwise.

13. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

[​IMG]

All I have to say to this thread.

14. ANightDude

For represtenting God on Earth, the Pope is sure doing a crappy job.

Isn't God supposed to love everyone? Of course its okay to take out one group of people, though. Even though its against the bible, which they seem pretty fond of.

15. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah, the Pope and his view on "natural law". Maybe I am missing the point, but never having sex isn't all that natural either, and yet that issue seems to be the elephant in the room (as the saying goes). Perhap he wants to examine his own values and how they fit into "natural laws" before he starts judging other people.

Never have been able to take him seriously, never will be able to.

16. Emberstone

pope benidict, before being picked by the cardinals to be the new pope, was head of the vatican body that was created by the inquisition. technically, the inquisitorial body remained active from the momet it was created... they just gave it a new name.

shouldnt be shocked he is this way.

17. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

Well your friend isn't Catholic then :wink:.

I'm really not surprised and I really don't care. I guess having been Catholic, I understand the Church and that they don't want to be forced to have active homosexuals allowed to work in parishes or even as priests. As far as I am concerned, private companies and such should not be "forced" to employ anyone that they don't want to.

Of course, I am not surprised to see some people here compare the Pope to evil characters and mock a very kind leader while they simultaneously talk about how mean he is and how he should show more loving. I must say that for Catholics, he is an excellent Pope (perhaps better than JPII). While it is well known that he never wanted his position as Pope, he is extremely kind and wise when it comes to Christian theology. I obviously don't agree with him, but I respect him and enjoy reading his works. I feel both sad and annoyed with people who mock a man they have incredibly little knowledge of.

18. Shevanel

Exactly.

19. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's a logical fallacy though. It's true that many of the people who will criticise him do have little knowledge of him, but the same could be said to him about the gay people that he is attacking with these comments. There are two sides to every story, and that criticism is merely irrelevant when he is doing the exact same thing. He knows absolutely nothing about me, and yet he's trying to encourage the church to intervene with state matters.

It's a perfectly reasonable response for churches to weigh in on issues that affect them, but the Pope has simply gone beyond that. It is one thing to fight against employing certain groups of people (which I disagree with, but that's a different debate altogether), and then there is arguing against them because they supposedly violate "natural law". As you said, it's Christian theology, and employment laws don't need to be argued based upon them, especially in such a degrading and inhumane way. This is a quality that churches within the UK largely recognise because they know it doesn't work.

I'm not about to open a can of worms about America v UK, but religion here is not as mainstream and conservative as it is over in America. You get the occasional conservative saying something dramatic and unnecessary, but they have very little political power. The Pope's comments are unnecessary for the Equality bill, which I have covered closely as it develops, and I think this argument that he is somehow being treated unfairly is an inaccurate conclusion. He has very little knowledge of LGBT British people, so he is just doing what you believe EC'ers are doing.

As for the Pope's comments, I really don't care what he has to say. You just can't throw yourself, or your 'leader', into the public arena and have him express such controversial comments, and then throw your toys out the pram because people aren't responding with the respect and tolerance that you expect from every human being. Many feel it is a personal attack on who they are, and that is not always going to cause a dignified response, as seen on this thread. People on here may be religious and upset by some comments about him, but what he said is controversial, whether or not it is Christian theology and some of the comments on here are going to be expected regardless of how disrespectful they appear. What he says will have been interpreted as equally disrespectful, which shows how nobody will ever reach a satisfactory conclusion with these type of discussions. Everybody is a loser right from the start.

Edit: If this sounds more like an attack than discussion then I apologise. It's rather late here and I didn't realise how strong the post came across as until I read it again after posting. It's only meant to be discussion points as I find issues like this interesting, so if any parts sound hostile then that isn't intended. :astonished:

20. Just Adam

meh to this guy

just a few little things ...

the second pic i swear i could get onto the cover of Time

Attached Files: