1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Malawi man arrested for posting gay rights posters

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Dan82

2. azrae1

azrae1 Guest

i wouldn't do that; if i were him lol

3. Connor22

no that's not offensive or anything

#3 Connor22, Feb 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2010
  4. Just Adam

i see nothing wrong with what he did as far as im concerned unjust laws shouldn't be followed. i cry rebel !

5. superpsychogirl

Out Status:
    Some people
    Its so sad how people can be so stupid! I mean, being gay is just a part of life in my mind. It's like, how can someone deny someone else a part of their life? I love rebellion, especially against laws that are so unjust

6. haelmarie

This is why spoiled rich kids wearing shirts that say "Legalize Gay" piss me off.

This man is a hero.

7. Emberstone

8. dromadus

dromadus Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    We had a long struggle in the United States ourselves. It did not just start at Stonewall and it is not over here yet. Some parts of the world are further along than others, and some are still in the stone age. It was really important to get this kind of information in front of people. Knowing about what is going on is really critical.

Thank you for this post. And thank everyone for reading it. Knowledge is the first step.

9. kettleoffish

Power to him for standing up for what he believes in.. It makes me very sad to think of how far behind much of Africa is on the gay rights thing, and it hits me very hard to see it coming from Malawi especially. I've done a lot of charity work for and even in Malawi, and I made some great friends while I was there, it kills me inside to think of how they would see me if they knew what I am. :frowning2:

10. dromadus

dromadus Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey kettleoffish, just think how that guy who got arrested would see you just now. What you said would make him really proud. Hey, that guy knew he was putting himself in danger when he took a stand. Taking a stand really really matters and he knew that. The world is full of struggles that are not over yet. And his story is out. If you visit my profile, you'll see a picture of me in a demonstration against our local police department being interviewed for television back in 1971. I thought that took some guts at the time and I was afraid, but I never thought I could end up being arrested. That guy from Malawi knew the risks he was taking, but he did it for himself, his gay friends, and you and me as well. Hopefully, getting his story out like Dan82 is doing will make it all worthwhile. Let's not let his struggle be forgotten because it is our struggle too. I'll get down from my soapbox now, but don't move it on me.

11. kettleoffish

:eusa_clap well said, and good on you for being there in '71. I don't intend to stand by and let these homophobic laws continue, I'm pretty ideally placed to fight them, or as well placed as any 16 year old anyway.. I'm heavily involved (as in founding member type involved) in a local charity that works in Malawi, hence having been, and I intend to make improving conditions for LGBT people in Africa one of my main missions in life.

12. Sylver

If I were in Scotland right now, I'd shake your hand! :thumbsup: