1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brendan Burke died in a car accident...

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Jonah 4, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Jonah 4

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view.bg?articleid=1231177

The hockey world and Bay State relatives of Brendan Burke - the openly gay son of Toronto Maple Leafs and U.S. Olympic hockey team general manager Brian Burke - are mourning the young trailblazer who was killed in a car crash in an Indiana storm Friday night.

“He was a blueprint for how to be happy and successful,” older brother Patrick Burke said from the family’s Canton home. “He was genuine, he was loving, he was kind, he was fearless.”

Brendan Burke, 21, was behind the wheel of a Jeep Grand Cherokee that slid sideways into an oncoming Ford truck. Burke and a passenger, Mark Reedy, 18, were both killed.

Burke had come out to his family in 2007, and the student manager of Ohio’s Miami University RedHawks then told the hockey team. The family’s story was told by an ESPN columnist in November, sparking headlines, controversy and kudos.

“I simply could not be more proud of Brendan than I am, and I love him as much as I admire him,” Brian Burke said in the interview.

The column was a landmark for the sport the family loves, Patrick Burke said.

“By him coming out and publicly announcing that hockey is a more tolerant community than people think, he forced the issue into the limelight,” Patrick Burke said.

Brendan Burke had graduated from Xaverian Brothers High School in Westwood, and often returned to speak on tolerance.

“We are all shocked and saddened by the sudden and tragic loss,” said Xaverian’s headmaster, Brother Daniel Skala, in a statement that described Brendan Burke as “widely known and respected in our community.”

Burke was considering going to law school, unable to decide between a career in hockey management or politics. He interned on Capitol Hill last summer for U.S. Rep Bill Delahunt.

“He demonstrated a very, very keen intellect,” said Delahunt spokesman Mark Forest, “and a compassion for others that was truly remarkable.”

Patrick Burke said he hoped his brother would be remembered not for his sexuality, but for his bravery and character.

“If he had been born straight, he would have come up with another cause to fight for, and he would have been front and center in that one, too,” Burke said.

A moment of silence was to be held before the Maple Leafs played Ottawa last night.

2. Just Adam

thats so sad :frowning2:

3. Mister Gaga

This is really heartbreaking :frowning2:

4. steve17159

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In a lot of ways this is a great and very sad story. For those who haven't read the original ESPN story done back in November I would highly suggest reading it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?columnist=buccigross_john&id=4685761

I'm a pretty big hockey fan, so I knew who his father, Brian Burke, was and the kind of personality he projects. But I came across this article right around Thanksgiving, which was a time when I really wanted to tell my parents that I was gay. And I was able to relate to Brendan's story in so many ways. Granted, I'm not an athlete of any sort, so I didn't have the whole coming out in sports issue. But has family situation was very much like mine in that I was very nervous and had several reservations to telling my parents. His story really gave me the extra confidence I needed to know that coming out was the right thing to do.

But I was very sad to hear the news of Brendan's passing last weekend. You hear about people dying everyday, but this one hit my particularly hard. A real brave kid, who did something that much older athletes don't have the courage to do. Hopefully he started something where pro athletes can be more honest on their sexuality. For however short, I believe people are here on earth for a reason, and Brendan had accomplished that. RIP Brendan.

5. Paper Heart

I really did cry when I heard this. I am a bit of a hockey fan, but Brendan's story helped me think that there would be a new ground for openly gay athletes. Brendan was so brave and came from such a kind, accepting family. It really is a tragedy that he died. Rest in peace Brendan.