1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

larry 2 years on

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by hoping, Feb 9, 2010.

1. hoping

2. NeonCookies

wow that is sad i didnt even hear about this until just now, it brought a few tears to my eyes

P.S ellen is my hero :grin:

3. dromadus

dromadus Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you for posting this link, HOPING !!! Thank you for your words Ellen.

This clearly demonstrates that gay life is more than just a party. It continues to be a struggle for survival in mind, heart, and also body. But it is better now than it was and we have gay people like Ellen to thank. Thank you Ellen for being a gay woman who achieved success and then didn't go back into the closet with your money and wife. But it is up to each one of us to continue the effort as well. The fact that Empty Closets chooses to exist means that each of you needed and wanted a site like this for information, help, companionship, etc. Thank you too EC!

The world continues to change, but we still have institutions like religions that are historical oppressors scripturally programmed to continue an age old tradition. Remember, the word Fagot was a taunt referring to the embers being made ready for the funeral pyre of a living gay person. Some religious institutions have changed, and others are changing, as well. But that struggle is still real and current.

In politics we have parties and traditions opposed to who we are. While laws against us were relaxed, then modified, and in some places abolished, you can still receive harsh penalties for what we do in private; and as we have seen in another recent thread, for advocating what some of us take for granted. The worldwide effort is not yet as advanced as it is where some of us live and love.

Our struggle didn't just start at Stonewall in 1969, and it isn't over yet. I think I am probably the oldest participant at EC at age 61 and I can attest how far things have come since I was 15. But it isn't over yet friends. I will say that I applaud the normal sounds of life I hear from you on this site. It is like fresh air and a drink of cool water and would have been unimaginable to me when I was your age.

I was a gay activist in the 1970s, just post Stonewall, and we had dreams for a world like this one that you have now, at least in parts of the United States, Europe, Australia, and lots of parts of the rest of the world as well. But the results of these efforts are not fixed in cement either. There are attacks on us from many sources. Christians think they own the institution of marriage but they are wrong and we are still on the front lines of that battle. People still get condemned from the pulpits, from mosques, synagogues, and churches all over the world.

People live in fear of discovery at work and at home and school. A young guy wrote in a thread just yesterday about being hit by his father when he came out to him quite honestly and openly. Coming out is still hard, isn't it?

I will get off my soapbox now. But I want to leave you with my love, respect, and encouragement. And to quote Bill and Ted's excellent words: "Party on Dudes"

4. Just Adam

:frowning2: killed for wanting someone to be your valentine. i cant even say i'm shocked or surprised any more. Ellen is right we are still a long way from being equal. but i still think its more than that. people just don't seem to have the capacity as creatures to not discriminate or hate.the furthest we seem to get is self deluded hopes that things are ok and they can always change. when in reality it just seems these evils shall always remain a part of basic human nature and despite what it tries or wants to achieve the creature known human will be intolerant. you can dress a human teach it to talk and to walk on its hind legs but inside it still has that primitive instinct of fear and aggression.

5. RaeofLite

I hate stories like this. :frowning2: But it's awesome that Ellen is telling things like this and stories like Matthew Sheppard's death as well to raise awareness at how serious the issue is. Being gay is ok and you don't deserve death or harm because of it.

6. ANightDude

^This.

Bravo, goodsir. Bravo.

7. EM68

I never heard of this before. Thank you for posting this Ryan. This is so sad. :tears:

8. Camman3

I remember watching this while surfing youtube...

I cried and showed my whole family. It was so sad to watch that video! (Thanks, Ellen, for publicizing these vital issues).

I hope many people watched that Ellen show and became more aware.

9. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well at least the guy who killed him is going to jail with I believe no chance of parole.

10. haelmarie

Amen to that.

Also, I think I speak for everyone in expressing what an inspiration you are to us.