1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Iowa Gay Marriage Ban Fails

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Revan, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Awesome :slight_smile:

2. NickT

Yay!

"Indeed, recent polls have indicated that gay marriage is of low priority to Iowa voters."

See that bigots? THEY ARE UNAFFECTED.

3. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Great job, Iowa! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

4. dromadus

dromadus Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congratulations Iowa!!! I hope that wisdom continues to prevail there. It has been a struggle here in California, but the effort continues to reverse our recent losses with a lot of new strategies.

There is a huge divide between liberals and conservatives on this, and by extension between Democrats and Republicans. Since I believe in the viability of a two party system, I am hoping our Republican friends can keep up some pressure in their party.

The struggle continues on a lot of fronts. GO IOWA !!!

5. Holmes

One day California and New York may learn to be as socially liberal as Iowa.

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Every time I read about this type of thing, I always say the same thing.

...Iowa?!

>>>"Voters this November will have an opportunity to decide if they are content with the continued Democratic obstruction and inaction."

My guess is they will.

Lex

7. Étoile

At least some Americans have sense enough to realize gay marriage won't destroy the world and has no effect on them. I applaud Iowa.

8. Johnnieguy

By the time 2014 rolls around, I think that US government will overturn DOMA and states won't have a choice. They will all be required to recognize our marriages as legal.

9. Sylver

Ain't that the truth! :rolleyes:

10. Nodnarb

Mike Gronstal is awesome. He's not a popular figure in the state, but he's done an amazing job fighting for equality. Him and Pat Murphy are responsible for holding the Democrats in the legislature together on this. And it's not like Gronstal is from a liberal district in Des Moines or Iowa City, he's from Council Bluffs, the place where "the squirrels are black and the trash is white". Only TWO Democrats in the entire legislature voted for the ban. AMAZING.

More than likely, this will NEVER come to a vote by the residents of Iowa. Like the article said, the earliest possible the legislature could get it to the people is 2014. There are only three options left for the anti-gay marriage people now:

1) Wait until 2014, at which point they will probably lose when the people vote.
    2) Get Bob Vander Plaats elected as governor this fall, and have him issue an executive order halting gay marriage. That is clearly unconstitutional, and he's acknowledged that it'll probably get him impeached, but who knows how it will end up. That said, BVP is way too radically conservative to win a statewide election, and is going to get destroyed in the GOP primary by former governor Terry Branstad.
    3) Their last option is the riskiest. There is a vote for a "Constitutional Convention" this fall, and if the people of Iowa approve it, the legislature will be able to make a ton of amendments to the constitution. But, if Democrats maintain control of the legislature, Gronstal has promised to introduce all sorts of liberal amendments that he is dying to put in place. Thus, most Republicans don't want to take the risk of going that route.

I have a feeling that gay marriage is here to stay in Iowa:slight_smile:

The Republicans are also being incredibly stupid about their campaigning. Yes, the Democrats will probably get killed in this year's elections, but it isn't because they are fighting for same-sex marriage. It's because of their inept handling of the economy and the state budget, and virtually everything else that they've dealt with. If the GOP emphasized the economy, they would easily pick up a ton of seats, but they insist upon carrying on about the evil gays trying to destroy marriage. The Democrats are taking advantage of this, and are campaigning by saying that Republicans are too concerned about unimportant but divisive social issues rather than jobs and the economy.

Also, the other day a Republican introduced a resolution that would change the law to allow the people of the state to elect people to the Supreme Court of Iowa. This is, of course, to prevent the "evil liberal justices" (that were appointed by a Republican governor...) from making decisions that the people of Iowa disagree with. Last I checked, the Court's purpose wasn't to do what the people wanted, but only what is Constitutional. Their solution for preventing "judicial activism" is to essentially mandate it. Anybody who supports that ridiculous plan has absolutely no understanding of the Constitution or the purpose of the Supreme Court.

And to finish out this very long post, I am so proud to be from Iowa:grin::grin::grin: It's still hard to believe that this is happening in my state. I had always thought I'd have to leave for one of the coasts to have equal rights, but now Iowa is leading the way. And, aside from a small minority, this isn't a big deal at all to anyone.

11. Emberstone

A admentment that lets the people pick the justices is a violation of federal law, if I remeber correctly.

12. starfish

Ahh yes the poison pill scenario.

Iowa really is an interesting state. While fairly conservative they are also fairly progressive on social issues. My opinion is that comes out of practicality. I have heard Iowans descried as salt of the earth. I would describe them as pragmatic.

This just reenforces my opinion. Putting food on your families table is much more important than arguing about the members of some one else's family.

13. JB1986

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah! Go Iowa! :slight_smile:

14. littledinosaurs

Right????

15. Rikudo

Lol I live about 40 minutes from Iowa and it still shocks me that Iowa of all places allows gay marriage.

16. Holmes

I take it the same Congress with 59-60 Democrats in the Senate and a clear majority in the House that couldn't pass healthcare or do anything about a cap and trade bill will repeal DOMA.

I think the best chance of repeal is through the Courts. OK, I know that's the same thing as far as Johnnie's point, but don't rely on the legislature or exec branches of government.