1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

France and transexuality

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Eleanor Rigby, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Eleanor Rigby

For once, I am proud of my country.
    Yesterday the Secretary of health department made a decree stating that transexuality is not a prychiatric trouble.
    From what I know, France is the first country to remove transexuality from the list of the mental disorders.
    It's a baby step, but it's a step.

2. Connor22

GO ON FRANCE... so long as they didn't beat us in rugby lol :slight_smile:

3. dromadus

dromadus Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congratulations to France, and good cheer to you Eleanor Rigby. Baby steps are the most important ones. Its funny how common something becomes once it has been done by someone, anyone. It is a cause celeb for you at this moment because this 'thing' once so shocking is now simply a matter of course for many people worldwide, and more everyday. It is amazing how the bricks in the wall separating wisdom from ignorance are falling, to the shock of some, but to the delight of many.

I know from my own life that I have lived to witness the promised land. It is a WONDERFUL feeling and we have come so far. The journey is not over, but the tide is turning in favor of future generations. The oppression I found in my youth IS in retreat, and you all have the privilege of taking up the torch for your leg of the journey. It seems that for this moment, that torch has just entered France. Remember to savor this moment. (!)(!)(!)

4. littledinosaurs

5. Emberstone

now if only we can get homophobia/racisem/sexisem added to the list of mental disorders.

Everyone is a bit prejudice in one way or another, but most of us have this filter that keeps our stupidty from showing.

6. bouncingsouls

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    ^surely that makes us as bad as them? Although as a queer ginger irish biologically female person I do kinda agree...

7. Connor22

dammit 33-10 so much for the six nations and another grandslam

8. bouncingsouls

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Your kidding? But we won the last tournament! I'm sulking.

9. Emberstone

Us being LGBT... people being black... people having vaginas, these things do nothing to put homophobic/racist/sexist/bigotted people in danger.

them being homophobic/racist/sexist/bigotted, puts our lives in danger.

vast difference. Hatred is a choice. Gender, orientation, and race arent. A transexual person does not choose to be the opposate gender to the one they were born into, they just are.

10. xCrazyInsanity

Because that's any more of a mental disorder than being trans is...

Mkay. it's a choice to hate and I'm not denying that.
    MENTAL ILLNESS IS NEVER A CHOICE.

so does that mean if I went to france I wouldn't need to see a shrink first before being able to transition? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#10 xCrazyInsanity, Feb 14, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  11. Eccentric

Sadly, hatred is quite natural and quite normal.

12. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

I think that's great and all, but I'm hesitant to remove it from mental disorders. I mean, it is something where there is a disagreement in the brain about the sex they were born into. Shouldn't something where the brain is (for lack of a better word) malfunctioning be considered a mental disorder? You can diagnose a person with some symptoms. And there are treatments for it like therapy and transitioning through hormonal or surgical means.

I get that it's being passed to help people acclimatize to having transgendered people around and that we should not treat them as abnormal. There is nothing wrong or shameful about being transgendered. But I can't see how it isn't a disorder especially since it causes so much distress. I mean, compare it to homosexuality. The issues most people have with being gay stem from societal factors. Transgendered people have to deal with their own bodies.

13. xCrazyInsanity

Mental disorder has such a negative connotation
    but i agree in part

if it's not a mental disorder, which I don't feel it is buuuuuuuuuttt, how about physical.
    I mean that's where the problem is.
    "mental disorder" kinda says "we can fix your brain, you're your birth sex with a brain problem." I also feel that gives bigots reason to not employ you because you're trans using 'well you have a mental condition that prevents you from working'(bull effin shite)

rather than what the real problem is, your body being defective.

14. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

We don't know what causes Gender Identity Disorder, so it's foolish to remove it. It shouldn't have been added in the first place for the same reason, but what happens if we do find out that it is psychologically induced (which, I personally think is unlikely)?

Re-adding something into the DSM or ICD would show a great deal of uncertainty that would prevent people from trusting the authors.

----------

Tell that to all the schizophrenics and people with bipolar disorder who have their issues for their entire lives. Same goes for those with treatment resistant depression, anxiety, and OCD - all of which can be permanent.

A brain disorder, like a physical health disorder, can be either permanent or temporary (just look up "adjustment disorder").

15. xCrazyInsanity

I meant to say "implies".
    But while it doesn't mean it can be changed, having gender identity as a mental disorder sounds like "we can drug you up and make you stop trying to be some effin tranny"

Eh.. I suppose it's not going to be something that doesn't have a huge stigma attached for a long time. And I hate admitting that.