1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lt. Dan Choi invited back to National Guard

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by SlickyPants, Feb 14, 2010.

1. SlickyPants

I just saw read this today although it is apparently a few days old.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=123684042

There is an interview with him as well further down in the article.

Hopefully this is one step to repealing Don't Ask, Don't Tell.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/12/us/12military.html

2. kettleoffish

that is excellent news :grin:

now that there's a precedent of an openly gay person serving in the military, DADT doesn't stand a chance.

3. Just Adam

yay this is great news XD

4. Connor22

DADT is such a stupid policy anyway, thank goodness it's on it's last legs

5. dromadus

dromadus Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I completely agree with you Connor. There is one point I'd like to make however.

Don't ask Don't tell was hailed by some as a Big Step Forward at the time. Being questioned by the military was not unusual, especially if they thought you looked or might be gay. To be found out and thrown out for it when in the military gave you a record that could damage you for life from that point on because you were not only labeled gay but as a liar and unfit for military service.

The end of Don't Ask Don't Tell will come because it is acknowledging that being gay should not prevent someone from serving her/his country if they want to.

It is so funny for me to hear some conservative people objecting to the end of DADT since it was yesterday's big step forward. And when I was a young man, straight guys as well as gay guys would say they were gay just to get out of going into the war in Vietnam.

CELEBRATE THAT IT IS ENDING BECAUSE BECAUSE BIGGER STEPS ARE ON THE WAY. WHEN HIDING YOUR SEXUAL STATUS IS NO LONGER NECESSARY: THAT WILL BE THE VICTORY. (!)

6. RaeofLite

DADT is pointless and only because of stupid idiots who think gays will "hit on them" and they don't want to know who's gay as a result... Jeez. They're like highschooler's or even worse-middleschooler's discovering that someone has 'cooties'.

Other militaries around the world work perfectly fine and they have gay and lesbian officers/soldiers...

7. Holmes

Great to see. The idiocy of dismissing an Arabic translator in a time of war in the Middle East was really what highlighting for a lot of people exactly what was wrong with DADT, with a national security pov, rather than just a civil rights issue.

8. paint

Before it was just no gays in the military...then they added DADT, which pretty much means the military wants to get service out of our community while still apeasing the bigots with the illusion that we're second class citizens.

It's been some years now and I've yet to see proof that our serving has deteriorated the proficiency of the army. So people from our community have served with honor...shouldn't they come home to the same rights and appreciation that straight soldiers get? This speculation that repealing the policy will create problems just does't stand to the test. It's stupid and Senator McCain is...a donkey. They want their ideological policy even if it no longer is needed.