1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Muslims in Norway: defend the killings of gay people

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by sokk, Feb 16, 2010.

1. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yes. We have a HUGE muslim community here in Norway.

A newspaper decided to publish charicatures of Muhammed, their profet. Now muslims are pissed. They have protested all week outside of the parliament. Saying that Norwegians lack respect for Islam and muslims. But freedom of speech is more important than religious freedom here in Norway. And some muslims have even threatened with terorrism. Now they approve of killing LGBT people. It's very sad.

Do any other countries have problems with muslims and their views on gay people?

You can read the article here:
    http://tinyurl.com/ylyk2ow

2. Emberstone

when will people learn... stop drawing pictures of muhammed... you dont stick a fork in a electrical outlet twice... the same applies here.

most muslims in my area are perfectly fine with the existance of lgbt people. They do not infringe upon others beliefs or sexuality, and we dont infringe upon theres.

it is the ultra-orthadox jews and the fundie christians you have to watch out for where I live.

3. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well fuck them.

I don't really know any muslims. It upsets me that people let their religion run their thoughts.

4. Emberstone

if you trash a person's religious figurehead, you cant trash them for being upset by it...They have every right to be angry.

5. olides84

You got two totally different things going on here.

This whole publishing pictures of Mohammed, is just blatant religious baiting. Maybe not when those first Danish cartoons were published, but doing it now is just wrong and there's absolutely no surprise there are protests.

Then you got orthodox Muslims commenting on killing gay people. NOTHING new there. The integration of western European countries/societies with their muslim minorities is generally awful and so you will get opinions like this spouted publicly in newspapers.

6. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We had nothing to do with that, though. Either way they can't ever be the bigger person can they?

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd say you can't count on them being the bigger person, so it's best to not expect them to be.

Lex

8. Johnnieguy

I know quite a few Muslims, but they are primarily from more "progressive" countries (Jordan, Kosovo, Bosnia and Herzgrovia, Trinidand and Tobago).

What we have in Minneapolis is a high Somali population with a very vocal minority who are trying to get sharia law instated here. The ones I am talking about work at the airport as cabbies and refuse passengers who have alcohol in their luggage. Their supervisors say "that's fine, but you need to go to the back of the line and let the cabbies behind you get to the passengers, because they have no problem taking passengers with alcohol."

Edit: The cabbies then gripe and gripe and gripe about it. The complaining never ends.

There was also an incident at Pride last year when some Somali children threw rocks at a guy leaving the festival, but they are kids..so you can't really say their religion is the reason for that. (Side note, there is a video of the kids throwing the rocks posted on YouTube)

9. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I was writing a long post when my laptop crashed :frowning2:

Anyways, I read that some people said we shouldn't draw cartoons of Muhammed in the newspapers. Perhaps we shouldn't, but done is done. Like I said, freedom of speech is more important than religious freedom here. And besides, it is far between a peaceful protesting outside of the parliament to a radical muslim giving a speech to 3000 muslims where he salute killing gay people. I am glad the national LGBT organisation is suing the man. Yes, he has the right to have his opinion, like I said, we have freedom of speech in this country. But he crossed that line when he threatened/agreed with the killings of gay people.

And yes, I also agree with what another poster said. Integration of muslims in Europe is awful. Here in Norway many (not all, obviously) live off of the welfare state. Many live in ghettoes where they only see other muslims, where there's hardly any Norwegians. And I hear daily about muslim men beating and using violence against their wives. Muslim men also tend to have power over their wives and she is often not allowed to leave the house, or get a job. She most often has to stay at home with the kids. We have come a long way when it comes to equal rights for men and women in this country. But we obviously have a long way to go when it comes to minorities like muslim women.

10. dromadus

dromadus Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think we are the victims of our own success. We have become more and more open, closets are emptying everywhere and we are standing up and out.

40 years ago it was taken for granted that we were second class, despised, persecuted, bound for the closet, a jail cell, and after death Hell.

It is so different today, and we are seen by some as a great threat. If you are a kid coming out (and how many people at EC does that describe?), you now have options, support, places of worship and may go about freely, and with laws that protect you; and when the self-righteous criticize or condemn you, lots of support.

I mean take a really good look at Empty Closets, pause and think. Above all, do not take this place for granted. It is a gift of the marriage of technology with social growth that has happened (and is happening) around the world.

Be patient, be vigilant, and be understanding. The hostility you hear from Muslims from Norway (in this specific case) is the impotent rage of those trapped in a world that is changing from the "good old days" when a few people could make all the rules, wrap them up as laws or commandments defined by law books or sacred books, with a battery of authority figures (teacher, police, clergy, parents, peer pressures) to enforce them.

I'm gonna get all 60s on you and sing "It is the dawning of the age of Aquarius"

NO? OK, I promise not to sing anymore. (I'll just sit here and hum that to myself) (!)

11. Emberstone

Throwing gasoline on a fire is a fool's way to approch interfaith and lgbt equality issues. if you bait a person, or rise to another's baiting, you are only perpetuating the problem.

12. Jonah 4

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    There is diverse thought in Islam just as their is in Christianity. I understand there is freedom of speech but its not like we wouldn't get upset if newspapers made truly offense caricatures of LGBT. Notre Dame comes to mind.

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't characterize this as a Muslim-Secular issue. Muslims come in all stripes and colors like the rest of us. We are much more alike than different. Of course, what this man did was wrong. All the more reason, to help them integrate.

13. Emberstone

I think there is a habit for some to view islam through the ill-informed, and yes, at times down right ignorant view of muslim belief.

If you really bother to study academicly islam, and other faiths, and you cut through the bullshit spread by some people about other religions, you discover that at the end of the day, more is shared between faiths than is in contradictions.

they instead judge the whole by the few, and that is a problem.

people need to be respectful because thats common sense and common decency.

it is a two way street, and yes, advocating the killing of gay people is wrong *and oddly enough, according to qur'ranic law, a cardianal sin*. But that doesnt mean you should judge muslims out of hate simply because of the ignorance of some.

Should we judge all christians simply because fred phelps is a bonifide grade A assfuck?

14. Just Adam

oh when will those humans learn to get over their need to believe in something bigger than them selves for perspective of their life's worth and to stop hoping for a all white shining after life.

just believe in yourself being the best person you can be not hating or hurting others being loving and accepting, and when it comes to after life just see what happens you have already accepted your going to die so don't try manipulating your life in the belief it could get u into a heaven.

when will people realise religion isn't the answer all the " religion gave me the strength" its bollocks it did nothing you just believed in something and tricked yourself in getting over over your mental hangups. for all that does you might as well go "ice cream gave me the strength to get over obesity" utter crap but its what u believed.

sorry to rant but im reaching breaking point with religion. perhaps we need a purge drive religion into the sea... 2 choices you saviour parts the ocean or u drown now where's the faith.

im sorry i wouldn't really i just hate how all these religions go against their main principle of love and help not your place to judge.

15. paint

"Someone so beautiful should not be so angry." Kurt (Nightcrawler)
    "Sometimes anger can help you survive." Ororo (Storm)
    "So can faith." Kurt (Nightcrawler)

If the LGBT community did start denouncing religion, I would like....be a minority within a minority within a minority. A religious gay chicano.

16. Steve

Born in australia, but now living some where else
    as religion is medieval, dont expect people that follow it to be modern

17. azrae1

azrae1 Guest

being an ex-muslim, muslims never think for them selfs, they never question or argue about what their prophet says, if u don't agree with one of mohammed sayings or argue they will think your a non believer hence the religion is backward and doesn't support changing any of its views and rules thats why the quran is not changed. and arab + islamic nations is backward, if u think dubai or uae is advanced well its not its just pure money and capitalism :S

18. Steve

Born in australia, but now living some where else
    i back it up . dubai is just a rich place with lots og huge buildings , because they need the room to store the ignorance and backwardess

19. dude99

dude99 Guest

Yes there are muslims out here that have that view of gay people. Infact here in my country many, many muslims do practise homosexuality. I know the traditional teachings of homosexuality is the offender to be sentenced to death.

But here even there are guys from Christian parents have been disowned by them becuase they found out there child is gay. To the parents, often the thought there is if there child is gay then the child would be better off dead. I am sure there are cases like that in the op country Norway too.

#19 dude99, Feb 24, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2010