1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay GOP group co-sponsors CPAC

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://motherjones.com/politics/2010/02/cpac-goes-gay

I personally think CPAC just wants this group’s money. I watched the convention on CSPAN one and I don’t think most of those attending will be receptive.

2. Sylver

I often find myself wondering why groups like the Log Cabin Republicans and GOProud attach themselves to the Republican party. It's almost like they're into masochism. I mean how can you proudly be a member of a group that officially hates you??

Here's my question - will the Republican Party ever be able to separate itself from the social conservative movement, particularly the extreme religious right? Until that happens I think it's irresponsible (and self-hating) for LGBT people to affiliate themselves with this party.

We had a similar thing here in Canada - our current PM (Stephen Harper) used to be a vocal advocate against gay rights, and he brought that sentiment with him into the Conservative Party (our equivalent of the Republicans). They even tried a few anti-gay measures in the early days, but they have abandoned them now given their unpopularity with the general population.

One thing about Canada, gays are here to stay and popular opinion is strongly in our favor - even in terms of gay marraige. And one thing about politicians - they know where there bread is buttered. Which is why Harper is now almost a gay-rights advocate! He claims he's changed most of his positions and he now supports most gay rights, even (softly) gay marriage, and he wouldn't seek to overturn it.

Canada is a fine example of one thing - the power of the people. The majority of the population here strongly supports gay rights, and even the socially conservative politicians know when it's time to give up on a losing cause.

Now I'm just waiting for the same to happen in my beloved United States of America...

3. Emberstone

hate to say it, but read the bible... God's a liberal socalist. All that talk about helping people less fortunate than your own... giving your posessions and wealth to the poor to truly be able to take up and follow christ... easier to get a camal through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to get into heaven... challanging the authority of the rich and nobility, and viewing all people as human beings who are worthy as children of god...

In essence, the opposate of GOP platform.

4. Beachboi92

I can completely understand the LGBT republican groups. They agree with the republican party more than the liberal democrats on more issues. The only thing they don't agree on is LGBT rights. I think it is a decent step towards getting some awareness and education out there to more conservative people. I am personally a strong believer in attempting to educate and change the mind of your heaviest opposition. IMO this group is going to try and educate the people that need to be educated instead of preaching to people who already believe in the cause. I think they should be supported for that. If they get 1 person to join their view i would view it as a success :slight_smile:

5. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

No where in the Republican Party platform. Traditional marriage is, but that is not fully representative of someone who "hates" gays (my grandmother is against gay marriage, but fully accepts me and is a staunch liberal democrat).

It just so happens that there is a correlation between social conservatism and an anti-gay agenda. Because of this, you can't say that the entire Republican Party has a hatred towards us.

I'm a registered Republican (who hopes for major reform within the party) btw. If, by the time 2012 comes around, the party hasn't changed some beliefs such as traditional marriage and/or religious-centered governmental structure, then I'll go astray from the party.

#5 Swamp56, Feb 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2010
  6. Emberstone

GOProud made a good effort to be seen, but CPAC still devoted alot of time to pushing homophobic agendas so far.

I cant be a republican on moral grounds. I would be a libritarian before I would ever be a republican.

7. Jonah 4

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Why? I'm an independent. I admire those that are willing to stand in the midst of people that hate them and try to change it. Two pro-gay parties are better than 1 "we'll support your rights when its convenient" party.

I'm glad you've had that experience. The power of the people here is different. In some areas we can get majority support for a handful of rights. But with issues such as Gay marriage we're far off. I'd be grateful for gay marriage to be in my state by 2020. Most people don't favor gay marriage and many(if not most) still believe its sinful to be gay here. The power of the people has the opposite effect. The only real way for gay marriage to be here sooner(IMHO) is for the Supreme Court to rule on it. Of course, that would be going against the will of the people.

#7 Jonah 4, Feb 19, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  8. Holmes

In one respect I can't understand gay people who would support a party that had in their 2004 platform a proposal to introduce a constitutional amendment to ban gay people from marrying, rolling back the decision of states like Massachusetts, and setting the issue in stone against us for the foreseeable future.

But on the other hand, bad and all as the current GOP is, it would be a little worse without groups like the Log Cabins and GOProud there to force party activists to acknowledge them and invite them to events like CPAC.

9. padre411

Well said.

I've often asked just what people think "under God" in the pledge of allegiance really implies. I don't think it's what a lot of people think it is. In the early church, there was no private property, everything was pooled together, people lived in community and supported each other.

peace

10. starfish

I'm done with the Republican party. They have become a right wing radical conservative Christian party, who in my opinion has abandoned all of the ideals of the Republican party.

We have a primary election coming up in Texas and I took a look at the Republican ballot. I am absolutely disgusted. I've decided that I am not even going to bother with voting in the primary.

11. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

I said I was done with the Republican Party but have found the Democrats to be just as bad, so I have returned (begrudgingly) to the Republican Party. I will probably be voting for Kay Bailey, just because I think Perry is one of the more corrupt pricks around.

#11 Kevin42, Feb 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2010
  12. paint

:frowning2: I heard Kay Bailey was just as bad, if not worst.

13. starfish

If you looked up Good 'ol boy in the dictionary you'd see Perry's picture next to it.

While I am not quite a Libertarian, I do like quite a few of their ideals. So I pretty much vote for the Libertarian candidate. Though I did vote for Obama in the last election. Though it was not so much a vote for Obama as a vote against Palin. I put her and Perry in the same category. I figure the only way the Republican party is going to change is if they stop getting votes period.