1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plurality of Iowans Oppose Banning Same-Sex Marriage

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Nodnarb, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Nodnarb

Des Moines news channel KCCI has a new poll out, and the results show that 42% of Iowans oppose a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage, while only 39% are in favor. Here are the full results:

There was a poll last fall that had almost identical results, so I think these numbers are very accurate. With this, and the fact that the vote has been pushed back to 2014 at the earliest, I can't imagine that marriage equality will ever be overturned here:slight_smile:

I will say this though; I don't think 42% of Iowans actually support gay marriage. I think that regardless of their opinion on it, a lot of people are unwilling to change the constitution to take away a right that already exists. Most people here are fairly "live and let live", and generally try to stay out of other people's business as long as it isn't hurting them or their family. Still, it's great progress for rural midwestern state.

2. Emberstone

is it just me or does the poll not match the question, which say favor or oppose, but then doesnt point out if yes is favor, or if it is oppose?

3. Nodnarb

I thought that was strange too. But, I think it's clear that "yes" means "favor".

Also, April-February doesn't equal "over a year". I don't think those mistakes would really have an effect on the results though.

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I'm feeling that Iowa is pretty safe in keeping their marriage equality. Thanks for sharing the poll.

5. Alex19

iowa has some smart people living there... i like iowa a lot more now :slight_smile:

6. Johnnieguy

I like Iowa more than I used to as well... But I still could not bear to live there let alone go there just to get married. Way too far from any real city...I toured ISU (in Ames) when I was looking at grad schools. The town is so tiny!

7. Nodnarb

*glares*

I grew up in a town of around 300 people. Don't talk to me about 'tiny'. Ames is a big city to me:wink: If you're from Mpls, of course anything in Iowa seems small:slight_smile: I like the slower-paced small town lifestyle, so I don't mind it here.

8. Johnnieguy

I don't mean to be offensive..But I lived in the country outside a town of 5,000 people for 4 years while I was in college. I've had enough to last me a lifetime :slight_smile:

And 300 people....Props to you for surviving. I have visited towns that small in MN. If it wasn't for all the lakes and forest all around, I don't really know what I'd do.

9. Nodnarb

Haha...I know. There are times where I'd love to get the hell out of here too. And the only thing that made living in a town that small bearable was the fact that we were only 20 or 30 minutes from downtown Omaha.

10. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People....who cares about the polls. For heavens sake, we've had polls telling us Prop 8 would fail, it didn't. We had polls saying New York would get gay marriage, it didn't. We've had polls throughout the history of our fight, and guess what....none have been right....

11. Nodnarb

New Yorkers do want marriage equality; their senators don't. There was no vote by the people. Early on, Prop 8 polls showed No winning easily, but the Yes side ran a far better campaign and the polls were extremely close leading up to the vote, with some showing Yes winning. I believe polls in Maine were also within the margin of error. No, polls aren't always exact, but more often than not they are actually pretty reliable.

12. RaeofLite

It seems like that. And when Prop 8 was up for voting in California in 2008, it seemed confusing to me at first as well... and I just hope that some people who would have voted no (ie: keep same sex marriage legal), didn't accidently vote yes, thinking yes meant gays should be allowed to marry.

13. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Meh I've just seen recently some haven't been. Like Prop 8....and Maine.

14. dromadus

dromadus Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I guess that the Prop 8 vote let our dark little secret out. This state is not as free and liberal as some parts of it would lead you to believe. Harvey Milk had so much success from his extraordinary efforts because he was in San Francisco. That place was a mecca for gay people, and his fight was still tough enough to cost him his life.

California was home to both Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan, and no one ever thought that Orange County, home of Disneyland, couldn't be conservative enough to make Anita Bryant look liberal. Sigh

Looking around the US, I see so much decency in people and places that have not yet been celebrated. I think Iowa could be another place to demonstrate what the word "decency" really means.

It remains close everywhere. We have won some and lost some. But let me reassert what I have said elsewhere:

THEY are an ideology, a point of view, a script from a book....

WE are a persistent FORCE OF NATURE

and...I think...history will be on our side :icon_excl

15. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

There are examples of that throughout the country, I think. I don't know why people are under the assumption that Massachusetts is such a liberal place. Our local news anchors have pointed out that in the state, Independents outnumber both Democrats and Republicans in terms of registered voters and it has been like that for a long while before we elected Scott Brown. So we're not as liberal as popular opinion would have you believe either. Social issues are just less divisive in this area of the country than they are elsewhere (Most of New England has same-sex marriage legalized).

We have same-sex marriage here but if you are a homosexual couple walking around in Boston you can be relatively safe, but you would still get looks. I just want people to see that states thought of as "liberal strongholds" really aren't if you look much closer. It's really only the urban centers that are liberal, but I think it's like that in most of the states anyway. Los Angeles and San Francisco are what got people into thinking California is liberal because they are major urban centers. Similarly, if one looks at Boston Proper and Greater Boston you would think that we are a very liberal state, but it's really just concentrated in the urban communities.