1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Olympic athlete speaks out against commentators who questioned his gender

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Chip, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Johnny Weir has a lot of class. Apparently several asshole sports commentators commented that he was too "girly" and suggested that he should get a gender test.

So Johnny held a press conference, and in an elegant and eloquent way, said that he's proud of who he is, proud that his parents raised him with openness and encouragement to be who he is, and is speaking out to help ensure that young people growing up have even more freedom than he did.

Here's the link

2. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

It's sad really because these commentators are supposed to be the "adults" of society and they go about saying this shit like they're 12. Good for him for responding in a dignified way.

3. Paper Heart

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqCJ75A0J54[/YOUTUBE]

I think this video sums it up nicely.

4. Matti

Out Status:
    A few people
    That was a beautiful speech! Billions of roses to that guy (and I didn't even know he existed until a few minutes ago)!
    I hope that gave the commentators something to think about. Really, a gender test? Hm, that should have been easy though.. "I see, you've got a penis. You're ok with that? You are? Ok, you're male. Move on sir. NEXT!"
    Oh, and he's mucho mucho hot in my opinion *_*

Paper Heart, that vid was worth a LOL :grin:

5. Sylver

Wow! That was incredible. He just took on the media assholes head on. I think every word he said is worth repeating to the whole world a few times over until everyone understands it. Well said!

It's a shame that it had to be (at least some) Canadian media that were guilty of dumping on him. And especially from Quebec - that's a pretty gay-friendly part of Canada (at least in the cities; likely everywhere else you can't say the same about the rural areas). I don't even think it's outright "homophobia" per se, as Johnny Weir said it's just cheap laughs at the expense of his individuality - although I'm sure there was an undercurrent of homophobia. But like he said, the times when that would have been funny are long gone and we've moved on as a society.

I am so glad he stood up to them. I have a great deal of respect for him! Go Johnny go! :thumbsup:

6. RaeofLite

Wow. I feel bad for Johnny Weir now. He looks like a good skater. And you're right, the sports broadcasters are acting like they're 12... ok, maybe 5 actually. This isn't a school playground people, act respectful!

I think it's about time gays were shown as ok in the Olympics and sports. And figure skating? I mean that is a pretty feminine sport compared to other sports out there... Johnny Weir just seems like the Adam Lambert of figure skating.

I loved that video btw Paper Heart. :slight_smile:

#6 RaeofLite, Feb 27, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  7. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That was spectacular. I want to date him.

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ok, the more i read and hear about this guy, the more impressed I am.

Here's another clip, where some sports reporter from ESPN interviews Johnny Weir... while both are getting manicures and pedicures! And Johnny speaks in detail about gender stereotypes, about sexuality and labels, and individuality... this is someone who really seems to have a great head on his shoulders and an unusual ability to be himself, to communicate clearly, and to do so with a rare combination of confidence and grace without arrogance[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWlj1CVZpSs[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLAG4yZcbWo&[/YOUTUBE]