1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"That's so gay"

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by LostandFound, Mar 1, 2010.

1. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

This was brought up in another thread and I'm curious to talk about it further.

Do you think people saying "that's so gay" is wrong?

For me it depends on the person. If I know the person is homophobic, it really bothers me. If I know the person is very supportive of gay people, then I don't care. Sometimes I think that I should say something in order to help eliminate this phrase from usage for everyone, but at this stage in my coming out journey I can't really be bothered, I've got enough to think about. I have known some gay people who have tried to 'own' the phrase and change its meaning.

2. NickT

Unless the person actually means homosexual, and in a unoffensive way, or if they mean gay as in happy, then I'm not okay with it.

3. Zach1992

I think it's a stupid saying regardless who uses it & truly makes me question the intelligence of those who use it.

4. kv88

No I don't take it too personally, I say it sometimes. I take offense when someone uses it multiple times (that's gay this, that's gay that), that it makes me wanna go apesh*t, same goes with someone who say's fags all the time. Like what LostandFound said if someone who is homophobic says it, it can be a bother.

5. notquitebutch

I know it makes me look stupid, but it pisses me off. It started off meaning that sucks, because fags suck. I don't like being the most widely used insult by people in my age group. If someone says it, my respect for them drops down to nothing very, very quickly.

6. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

This.

7. kv88

I also agree with this too.

8. Johnnieguy

The word gay is not a synonym for stupid...So it shouldn't be used in that manner.

9. Phantasma

That way I have always thought of it..

"that's so gay" said to mean "that's so stupid/dumb"
    "that's so homosexual" = that's so stupid/dumb
    "homosexual" = stupid/dumb

So yes, with that reasoning, I take offense to it.

10. ColdSnap

I don't agree with it, but at the same time I think you can tell when it comes from a hateful place and when it's just ignorance. I'm not saying ignorance is an excuse, but I think if the shoe was on the other foot, and I was straight and said it in front of my gay friend i'd probably feel embarrassed. So I guess while I don't agree with it, more important things irk me more.

11. x2x2x2x2y2

I don't like when people say it. I think the only time people should say it, was if something was actually gay. For example, if there's two guys kissing, then that IS gay. But if somethings stupid, then it's not gay. Stupid doesn't = gay.

Recently I asked my best friend to stop saying it. I thought he was gonna get mad. He completely understood and stopped saying it. He's trying, though he did mess up once, which I don't care, as long as he's trying.

12. RaeofLite

I agree with this. Only in my friend group though. A couple of them say "that's so gay" and I glare at them. Or if I'm having a bad day I'll call them on it in a grouchy voice. The one that says it the most has a gay brother and is bisexual herself though..

If I hear someone else I don't know say it, I'll glare at them and occasionally speak up if they don't look totally intimidating.

13. thevre

I used to care. A lot. Now I don't. And I have even caught myself using it in extreme circumstances.

14. stratavos

oakville(college) and oshawa(hometown) ont, Canada
    I don't like when it's used as if the word gay= stupid/unfair/beurocratic/complicated

there is no homoeroticism in a math test you failed. If there is, it's a good word equation.

----------

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVicCD8FmMs[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IcRQssVllA&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

decent bits of work against the phrasing.

----------

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD16K-fr7bg&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

15. NickT

I also tend to almost reflexively turn and glare whenever I hear the dreaded f word or hear "that's so gay." In fact, I'm at the point where if I hear anything remotely close to that (day, say, bag, tag, etc.) I do the quick turn-head-apply-deathglare.

16. this thread is so gay

17. It's fucking stupid. No one needs to say it. It just sounds fucking dumb. The definition of "gay" is NOT stupid. It means fucking happy or homosexual.

18. Taurusguy92

:tantrum::tantrum::tantrum: You have no idea how much I hate that phrase. And I go to an all boys school so u know it's used a ton. It always makes me feel awkward/angry

19. Charme

Charme Guest

It doesn't bother me much and I find myself using it sometimes. It's not as bad as when guys say "No homo" though.

20. Zach1992

I HATE "No homo". Before I came out I was working on our school play & these lines was added by the kids.

"You queer? Don't say things like that you gonna scare me. If you're going to say that then you need to say no homo..."

The director thought there was NOTHING wrong with it until the director of the Spring musical sat in on one of the last rehearsals & told her that people were going to be offended...

Fucking dunce...