1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

one step forward, one leap forward.

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by fallendream, Mar 2, 2010.

1. fallendream

as a few of you may know ive been trying to get a GSA in my school, sadly this has been unable so far due to my school having a building added and thus having less funding for other things :'(
    but yesterday i sent the admin email address of the school a strongly worded email about how our teachers couldnt care less and that the school is full of uneducated people that dont understand predujice, racism, homophobia and the like.

the email i sent;
    Code:
    Hello,
    first off i should warn you that while the following email contains no profanity it was written by a student and it does contain some home truths that the school has tried to hide from for so long.
    i am writing to you today for a small number of points to be brought to light that i feel would benefit the school as an establishment and as a place to work at and learn at.
    my first, and foremost, fact that should be brought to light is the discrimination in this school - it may seem there is little homophobia, racism, hate speech, prejudice and the like happening at [-school-] high school but that is only the surface.
    the main reason (in my theories and what has been proved as fact by scientific scholars) is that students are not taught properly about the repercussions of the afore-mentioned hate crimes. in my experience of being in classrooms i have found only a small percent of students even know the meaning of prejudice! and those that know the meaning of it are the ones that know why not to exercise it.

my second point is of a campaign i feel the school should help full fill its true potential. this is a campaign known as 'fight-conformity' ([-a website-]) - this campaign has, in my eyes, hit the nail on the head.
    the campaign itself promises to help people break the 'mold' society inadvertently creates and makes seem like a must. many teenagers commit suicide, commit self-harm and even go through depression because of schools not realising this fully.
    i would like to do a number of things alongside the schools administrative team which would include (but not be limited to)
    posting posters stressing the importance of not backing down due to peer-pressure, standing for what you believe in and not being prejudice, racist, homophobic, a combination of the afore-mentioned or anything else that may harm others.
    handing out flyers designed by students and staff aimed at students at staff also mentioning the crimes.
    and finally speeches and assemblies - do you believe that to learn something you should have it 'drilled' into your mind? i do - if enough speeches and presentations are performed then people will get the message.
    another point, which isnt the most important, is steeper punishments - ive noticed few of the staff actually CARE about the students and show the passion the job deserves. a number of times i have seen reports of bullying just not listened to by teachers because the teachers are either doubting something as happened, dont have time or chance or quite simply - don't feel it's their duty to stop verbal abuse unless its affecting a lesson, multiple students or is physically harming someone.

These are my current points. i will not hesitate to question and hopefully improve you (as a school) further but in the meantime feel free to reply or speak to me in person. i realise i ask alot, and some parts might be ridiculous to act out - but my intentions are to leave this school better than how it was when i entered it - not worse.

yours,
    Joseph [-surname-] of [-town-] High School (10/Jsh)
    that seemed all well and good (actually its a pretty horrendous letter but im awfull at english :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    then i got this reply.
    Code:
    Hello Joe

You raise a lot of very valuable points. I know I wasn’t able to deliver my assembly to year 10 last week but interestingly enough it was all about prejudice and bullying (because I’d been to Auschwitz over half term).

I will think about the best way of doing something about this. My first reaction is to forward this to Mr [-teacher-] who looks after Student Voice in this school and also to Ms [-teacher-] who is our anti-bullying co-ordinator. Both have a responsibility to look after the well-being of students.

I’ll keep you informed of what happens.

Best wishes

Mrs [-headteacher-]
    hopefully this will lead to something resembling a GSA in the future, or atleast a harsher view on bullying and abuse :slight_smile:

2. Great letter. Hope that your school will grow some fucking brains. I got so much shit from people at my last school. I wasn't even out yet and people gave me shit for being myself. Last time someone called me a faggot to my face, I gave them a fucking black eye and told them that if they talk to me again, I'd break their fucking nose. Since that, people have only been giving me shit behind my back.

3. fallendream

thats just unneccesary.
    i dont see why fighting or attacking people will solve anything though im strictly anti-violence (unless its self-defense)

4. I had no other choice. The teachers were all against me and the bullies were too retarded to just talk shit out. I am very much pro-violence when it's necessary. In that case, there was no other way to defend myself.

5. fallendream

teachers are never against you (as much as ive thought different in the past) its their job to remain impartial.
    i never said not to defend yourself; but dont hit back.
    learn to block fists and legs and run - its more effective in the long-term than just slugging it out in a fist-fight.

6. dromadus

dromadus Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Great Post. Remember that every challenge is really just a new opportunity. The best weapons are your words, your ideas, and your courage. You have History on your side.