1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay rights section nixed for immigrants' guide

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Mirko, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Disappointing that the Canadian government didn't include a gay rights section in the guide given to new immigrants to Canada. So much for inclusiveness, eh?

2. Halpert

Hmm, I find this slightly bothersome. While, on one hand, I don't see it as too large of an offence, on the other, that's kind of lame. I fully understand his justification of not wanting it to become encyclopedic, but, I mean really, to have removed that one sentence, that's rather goofy. Claiming that is too much, that's just a lame excuse. Not having the dates of decriminalization or allowance of same-sex marriage, fair enough. But not even mentioning homosexuality as a protected equality issue? They could have thrown that one sentence in there. :rolleyes:

3. egnvectr

egnvectr Guest

I received one of those and was surprised there was no mention of same sex marriage. Surely the fact that it is possible to legally marry someone of the same sex is a notable fact about Canada that people coming from other countries are not likely to know about?

Considering the number of obscure pointless facts they stuffed in there... And this is one thing really worth informing people about.

4. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This kind of bullshit is exactly why even a minority Conservative government is dangerous. *sigh*

5. RaeofLite

Maybe the Conservative is like the guy in the US pentagon saying, if we endorse same sex marriage, the terrorists will try to attack us...

And many immigrants may come from countries that don't allow same sex marriage... so maybe the Conservatives not only don't agree with it, but they are scared it'll cause problems with culture clashes? Then again, if anyone took a look downtown Vancouver, areas in Toronto or Montreal, they'd know we have Gay bars and that gays and lesbians have rights. :slight_smile:

6. Spectre

Well, at least they mentioned in a caption that gays and lesbians do exist... although it's probably size 6 font and on page 64. :icon_wink

7. hoping

its the same here in australia, gay rights are never discussed, i mean the australian captial territory changed the law to allow civil unions but the government that is supposedly liberal and accepting overturned it and now is talking about banning gay marriage
    But at the same time making illegal immigrants totally accepted into society even after threatening to blow themselves up and shit.
    Its just the way it is, governments care more about people smugglers and letting in illegal immigrants than caring about their own people who want full rights

8. Sylver

This is strong evidence of two things that I've been saying for a while about gay rights in Canada;

1. It shows that many in our Conservative government still habor buried homophobia and would rather that the clock was turned back to the "good old days" when it was OK for the state to disriminate against LGBT people.

2. By the same token, it shows just how far we've come and how there is really no turning back, if the biggest victory our "Minister of Hate" can achieve in his quest to resurrect discrimination is in the form of omitted wording in an immigration pamphlet.

So I'm both happy and sad about this. But the snowball has been rolling downhill for some time here in Canada and it's never going back - eventually these homophobes will die out and be replaced by the upcoming generations who are growing up in a very different Canada and for whom homophobia will be a page in the history books.

9. RaeofLite

I recieved this in my email from a list I added my email to about LGBT news... I apologize if it's long but it's relevant to this discussion.

#9 RaeofLite, Mar 10, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2010