1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virginia AG asks colleges to rescind policies protecting gay state employees

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/03/05/AR2010030501582.html?hpid=newswell

2. Emberstone

wow... doesn't this douchebag realize that a college/university tends to be private institutions, and therefore, they are to abide by the law, but they can have rules within the walls that are not enforced outside the walls. It is not for the legislature to define the codes, rules, and bylaws of a university.

What is with politicians not understanding the purpose and process of politics these days?

3. Dan82

The colleges in this are public so the state law matters. I’m not familiar with the laws of Virginia and I have no idea whether the law prevents a college from enacting a non-discrimination policy without the consent of the legislature.

4. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

#4 Swamp56, Mar 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2010
  5. NickT

Hopefully the students will protest this...?

6. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aweee I wanted to report this haha...

7. xCrazyInsanity

So they want to stop protecting anyone who's lgbt?

Remind me again how that makes any sense.

You can't -- or shouldn't anyway -- be able to pass a law that says 'you can NOT protect any group'

8. Emberstone

so, there colleges are of poor standings. I have three familys in my family tree that left virgina seperately to escape the public school system.

9. Dan82

The public universities in Virginia are very well regarded.

10. donnie5

why would anyone actively try to take away another humans rights its ridiculous

11. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Um...how is that relevant? And how does that mean that the school system is in poor standing?

12. Emberstone

I am merely pointing out that the public school system is flawed and faulted as it is. the only reason virigina has such a high rate of educated people is not because of its schools, but because of the fact that it is basically home to most of the people working in goverment.

How this is relevant is that the system is already shaky, and by saying that it is okay to discriminate against gays in the college and university system means students will think twice about going there, and when this has happened in other places, it is not uncommon for faculty to leave out of disgust, even heterosexuals. By legallizing discrimination in schools (federally illegal, by the way), they are basically only further hurting the education enviorment.

Sorry that I didn't express it fully.

and sorry also, meant to say schools, not college in the quoted text.

13. starfish

I skipped reading the article and just read the letter.

A few important things to keep in mind. First this opinion was solicited. Second the opinion is consistent with previous opinion and precedent. Third the letter takes no action, it only makes a recommendation.

I don't see any political or personal motivation in the letter. My opinion is letter is just a CYA measure by the Attorney General. After reading the letter I believe that if a third party was to legally challenge that policies they might win.

If I was to receive a similar letter I would take it under advisement and likely take no action. I would expect that the universities' counsel would respond similarly.

14. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

This guy has other extreme ideas, so this really isn't any surprise. According to Wiki he,

"introduced bills to amend the 14th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution to revoke citizenship rights for children of undocumented immigrants who are born in the U.S., to allow businesses to sue others that hire undocumented immigrants, and to establish inability to speak English in the workplace as cause for disqualification to receive unemployment benefits."

It's difficult to imagine that their are still people who would support such extreme policies.