1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

giving blood. there is hope

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Techcompu2, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Techcompu2

Thought I should share this: http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iYiZd7As5Rs5RboVR9SOJKd8WKcgD9E818582

For those who are too lazy to click it (i know you are out there!):

at least there is some hope.:eusa_danc

2. Nawy56

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This is great to hear! It is so ridiculous I think. There are plenty of people far more promiscous than I who have a much great chance of having HIV who can give blood. Used to give blood regularly, but now? no. And I feel it is a waste.

3. stratavos

oakville(college) and oshawa(hometown) ont, Canada
    I've only been able to give blood once, and that was in high school... using condoms and cleaning up apparently means absolutely nothing medically >.>

4. xCrazyInsanity

If you know you don't have hiv, you could lie...

but it's nice to know that SOME people realize how antiquated this is.

5. vitanil

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hope indeed. ^ unfortunately people have been taken to the courts for lying--which is complete bull. "Bad" blood is weeded out anyway and people with positive blood should just be added to a no-donate list.

6. Holmes

Before I became ineligible, I donated blood once and fainted, so they told I'd be better off not going back anyway. But it does seem a bit ridiculous as an absolute ban. I could understand when AIDS first broke out they needed to be extra cautious, but there's little reason to keep it going now.

7. Tim

Tim

I can still donate, but I choose not to.

The one time I did, they forced me to sit down and pretty much shoved food down my throat because I looked like I was going to pass out. I tried explaining I didn't get much sleep the previous night, but they made me miss 1 1/2 of my classes.

Granted, I passed out in 5th period, and wrote and article about the experience that ended up on a full page in the school newspaper with everyone giving me good responses to it, but still, not doing that again.