1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nearly two-thirds of Texans support relationship recognition for gay couples

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.dallasvoice.com/artman/publish/article_12508.php

2. paint

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^ what he said. Doesn't really say much since Texas is primarily a church state...

4. Dan82

The level of support was higher than I thought it would be.

5. starfish

Though in my experience most Texans are Christian like Olive Garden is Italian.

6. Meropspusillus

My understanding is this: When you say "Relationship Equality" or "Civil Union" most people, even very conservative young people are like "Sure thing!" Throw the word marriage in there, and that's when people start having problems.

7. ANightDude

Okay guys, this is what I've been saying all along. Texas isn't a "Church State" or a "Red State". I've said multiple times that the majority of Texans support equal rights. We are NOT the stereotype or the idiotic government we have running this place.

Just because the media shows rednecks and whatnot (from east texas, I might add), doesn't mean we are all like that. We have plently of LGBT support groups and organizations, including pride parades and GSA's all over. It's a very friendly state, unlike popular belief. If you go the Houston area of the state, thats where the hatred comes in, and it shows because Houston is a major city. In Dallas, San Antonio, El Paso, Lubbock, etc, you will find more people supporting gays that you will in other places.

Sorry for freaking out, it just bugs we with the stereotype.

8. Dan82

Yea Texas is big place; I thought west Texas was the most conservative part of the state.

9. ANightDude

Eh, it depends on who you meet. East Texas certainly is. People out there are more southern-alabamaian-mississipian-types of people :dry:

10. paint

Houston actually has a large group of people from New Orleans, and I think that's effecting the city in interesting ways.

I think it's important to remember that everything isn't black and white. :/

----------

Also, I just went to a GSA summit! Big plans for the North Texas GSA network stay tuned! And UNT gay prom was great! :grin:

11. Techcompu2

I wonder if my aunt was asked, or what she would have said. she lives near austin texas.

12. Gaten

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I live in Houston myself and it can be ignorant depending on the area. We are a major city however so we do have our share of gheyz. We even have a pride parade every year. :grin:

13. DexterMorgan

Is there any LGBT youth groups in San Antonio?? I couldn't find anyway. =/

14. Shevanel

Fuck the Olive Garden, yo.

15. ANightDude

Yeah, but no real large, legit ones. We have PFLAG and such, and then we have school GSA's and such, but we do need more major ones here.

16. TwistedNerve

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    There are problems with this poll...

1) 800 people where polled (population of texas 24,782,302/800= 30977.9) so each person in this poll represents about 40,000 people. The population to proportion is too small though small populations tend to give us a better accuracy, they fail to give us the bigger picture.
    2) polled by the university of texas (college students)
    3) Urban cities are more likely to be more liberal that rual cites and by the looks of it it makes sense why San Antonio, Dallas, Houston and Austin showed a favorable support...if you call 35%-25% out of a poll of 800 people support.
    4) The poll was done through registerd voters. Most registerd voters are white. Makes sense why the few latinos out of the 800 polled would be in favor. Alos no mention of black who are least likely to register to vote even with the Obama factor.
    5) WTF is relationship recognition because last time I checked it doesn't sound like legal recognition.

I dont like this poll. But that group of 800 people supporting something is better than nothing.

17. RaeofLite

I have to agree with some points TwistedNerve raises. "Relationship recognition" could mean anything from "I agree that gay people do exist.", "Gay people could exist... I think I saw some hold their hands once" to "maybe they should get married..." ><
    They need to define their terms.