1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sen. David Norris to seek nomination for president of Ireland

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Holmes, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Holmes

Senator David Norris, seemingly the first openly gay man to be elected to a national parliament, has declared that he will be seeking nomination as president of Ireland, for the election to be held in October 2011.

He has to be nominated by 20 members of the Oireachtas (national parliament) or four county councils. There's a lot of momentum behind him now, through a Facebook group, and the odds on him have massively shortened. It's a while away yet before parties will decide who they're nominating, but this should be interesting.

It's a non-political role, the main constitutional function being to refer bills that could be unconstitutional to the supreme court, so it's mainly a symbolic role. Some previous presidents were chosen in part because of symbolic reasons, such as choosing Douglas Hyde in 1938, a Protestant, as the first president, Mary Robinson in 1990, as a woman, and our current president, Mary McAleese in 1997, as someone from Northern Ireland, and they otherwise did a good job.

2. Prccgeek

That is really cool!

3. RaeofLite

That's pretty cool. :grin:

I know Iceland has a gay leader in power. :slight_smile: She and her partner are pretty well liked there too.

4. Apocalypte

I for one am totally in favour of this, David Norris is awesome :grin:

5. Connor22

never heard of him but cool! best we've got is erm Sammy Wilson in the south of France... and were talking milimeters (google sammy wilson road tax and he's the transport minister btw)

6. Jonah 4

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thats interesting, I didn't know how she would fair with the icesave controversy.

7. Apocalypte

Wikipedia article

He's the one who brought the case Norris vs Ireland to the European Court of Human Rights in the late 80s which forced Ireland to decriminalise homosexuality, and he's also a big Joycean scholar.

8. Connor22

thanks Apocalypte for a second I swear I thought he was chuck norris' brother