1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fred Phelps Son Speaking Out Against WBC

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Emberstone, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Emberstone

http://www.advocate.com/Politics/Washington_D_C_/Westboro_Baptist_Church_Goes_to_Washington/

Thought I would share the joyus news that not every phelps is a anti-christian teaching nutjob.

Really like this question:

You’re a straight man. What’s your message to the gay people you’ll be speaking to in Topeka?

Part of me wants to apologize to them. Part of me wants to explain to them why my family is the way it is. And part of me wants to talk about what the right reaction to these pickets ought to be. I think what the Patriot Guard has done in terms of the military funerals has been really positive instead of just lashing out. That’s what my family wants.

#1 Emberstone, Mar 13, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  2. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He has a really interesting story and he's a really great guy. He came to speak here at U of T to a class I TA for and I got to have dinner with him, the prof who teaches the class, and some other profs from our department. And his wife, who is from BC. He lives in BC now, which I think is great.

I don't even know how you live through the kind of upbringing he had but he's really done an amazing job.

3. seadog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    As a roman catholic I've learned two points that may apply here. 1. God is love, not hate. To claim that you represent God in expressing hate is self-impeaching. 2. God sent Jesus to teach us that God does not condemn things God has created. Wesboro Baptist Schmaptist. If I were a non-hater baptist I would be protesting the defamation of the Baptist name. Surely there must be some!

4. Chandra

Interesting. The article mentions that he and his siblings suffered abuse. I wonder if they mean physical abuse as well as mental (brainwashing) abuse. It wouldn't surprise me that a man filled with as much hate as Fred Phelps would abuse his family.

5. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, he means physical abuse, although not sexual if I recall correctly. Basically if they screwed up on what they were supposed to have learned (insane amounts of scripture, basically) they were beaten.

6. Emberstone

They have facedcharges of child abuse, but have already wiggled out of it. Thats why they all have to be lawyers or they are kicked out of the family. It is to sheild themselves from being held responcible for their criminal activities.