1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bi-Partisan Poll Of Iraq and Afghanistan Vets on Don't Ask Don't Tell

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://www.vetvoicefoundation.com/new?id=0002

2. Notreallysure

I'm glad to hear this. There is progress being made, at least.

3. Just Adam

very marginal progress.

put it this way to them if they don't want lgbt people serving with them then fine they can all go home do the fighting by yourself good luck. if these people aren't good enough to die by you then they shouldn't have to live by you either so meh to you >>>
    i still say it will be generations before people are accepted in the military for who they are.

then they might realise sexuality doesn't dictate the ability to shoot a gun or get shot by one.

4. Sylver

Am I the only one that finds these numbers a little disappointing?

5. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

Well at least a plurality of vets under 35 are in favor of letting them serve. I fully expected the numbers to look like this though, I'm not surprised in the least.

6. Mysterons

Mysterons Guest

I was a bit hesitant to speak my mind on this matter, but am I the only one more concerned with stopping the invasion of Iraq considering all the deaths and damage it's caused than all this hype about letting gays participate in such horrible events? Dunno, it might be my hippish blood, but I actually feel gays are being done a favor...

7. olides84

Of course one can be concerned with BOTH getting soldiers out of Iraq and eliminating don't ask don't tell. There's no limit on what you can care about.

Well, according to this Army general, gays are being protected with the current policy :grin:
    [YOUTUBE]aotlEpmAFVQ[/YOUTUBE]
    * I know this has been posted before, but I love it!

8. OK I will address the subject of this thread but I must first say that video is awesome.

I know this is only a small part of the armed forces but I would like to hear about a poll where they only ask people in the infantry. I have a feeling the majority would not care about openly gay people fighting with them. I was a Marine grunt and I think most other grunts would not care about someones sexual orientation. All that really matters is that each marine and soldier can do their jobs competently. No matter what came up in my unit it was all treated the same. Different things were just things you could bring up to give others a hard time (jokingly of course.) Most people that were not in a combat unit would be shocked at how the people talk but its all done to ease the stress. Everything is fair game but all that matters is you go out has a unit and come back has a unit. Teamwork is all that really matters in an infantry unit.

I was taught one important thing in boot camp. All Marines are green. The military has great potential for gay rights. They should be an example for the rest of the US government in showing that everyone is equal. I hope they realize this.

9. Brad

Well age having something to do with it is no surprise. Many polls have shown that the younger people are the more they are accepting. Which i think just points to the fact that society is more accepting these days and children being brought up these days are taught the same hatred that their parents or grandparents were.

It is good news though that a majority are for the repeal.

And that vid is pretty epic.

#9 Brad, Mar 18, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2010