1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are Gay People Excluded From Clinical Trials?

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Dan82

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/WellnessNews/gay-people-excluded-clinical-trials/story?id=10129927

2. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

I don't know that I think they were discriminated. The researchers might have been looking for specific characteristics in their participants and being gay wasn't one of them. The article is kind of vague though, I didn't really see anything concrete that sexual minorities were specifically excluded just cause.

3. Dan82

For the vast majority of treatments I can’t think of a valid reason to exclude gay people from the studies of course that also means that the exclusion shouldn’t have any effect.

4. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

To be fair, this article is not very helpful, and I really don't think we should be using it to make any judgments. All that is stated is that gays may be discriminated against in medical trials, and if they are it apparently occurs no more than 15% of the time. Furthermore, we have no idea what any of these trials are, and just because we cannot think of a reason for gay people to be excluded doesn't mean that a medical professional wouldn't have reasons they would want to exclude gays. From my perspective this article is relatively uninformative in that I come away feeling like there is a chance gays are being unreasonably discriminated against, and there is a chance that they aren't be unreasonably discriminated against. Thanks ABC news, but I could have come that far by myself :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.